Gaming Rig

TORPlayer

I'm having some trouble playing TOR but i'm not sure which parts of my computer need upgrading. My gaming rig is

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.27GHz

RAM: 4GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Let me know if you need to know anything else. Hoping to figure out how to run TOR at max settings. Thanks

Edit: I'm also using an Alienware M17x, so make sure i can fit it in there as well

Edited by TORPlayer

You've got a decent setup, there's nothing glaringly wrong with it. Just off the cuff, I'd guess that the weak point may be your video card. You can pick up a middle of the road current generation video card for between $100-200 which should massively improve your capabilities in that department.

The only other thing I'd say is that with 4GB of ram, you may run into issues if you've got a lot of things going on in the background. I think the best look you can get at your memory usage is with Resource Monitor, which you can run by clicking the start menu and typing "perfmon /res" without quotes into the search box and hitting enter. Once resource monitor is open you can click the Memory tab to see what's up. Have it open in the background while you run SWTOR, then alt-tab between the two applications and see if you're running up against your maximum memory. If so, try closing some background programs, or perhaps think about upgrading your memory.

Start with the video. You need a newer/faster card.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphics-01G-P3-1556-KR/dp/B004S5CCP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324660123&sr=8-2

RAM is very cheap right now. 8GB wouldn't hurt. You can get 8GB of 1600mHz for under $40

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC3-12800-1600mHz-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B/dp/B004QBUL1C/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I just upgraded to SSD and my whole system is blazingly fast.

Corsair Force Series 3 SSD is the fastest out there. It's come way down in price.

http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-3-ssd.html

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-2-5-Inch-Solid-State/dp/B005RUBFAC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324660442&sr=1-4

Edit: If it's a laptop, go SSD

Edited by Owsley

Isnt the M17x a laptop?

Yeah, this information would have been useful to start with. Unfortunately you're kind of stuck with what you've got in terms of video card, and without a new one I'm not sure it's worth putting any money into upgrading to an SSD or adding more RAM, as the video card is clearly the weakest link in your setup.

In that case, if you really can't live with the performance of your current system, I'd say you might want to live with your current setup while you put aside some money to get a new gaming rig.

Yeah, this information would have been useful to start with. Unfortunately you're kind of stuck with what you've got in terms of video card, and without a new one I'm not sure it's worth putting any money into upgrading to an SSD or adding more RAM, as the video card is clearly the weakest link in your setup.

In that case, if you really can't live with the performance of your current system, I'd say you might want to live with your current setup while you put aside some money to get a new gaming rig.

On the alienware website their M17x says it can hold an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Edited by TORPlayer

if you purchased it direct from Alienware I would let them know it is not what you thought it would be and send it back for something with a better card in it.

If you purchased it secondhand then... I got nothing for ya.

On the alienware website their M17x says it can hold an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Also, just to clarify this - the M17x cannot "hold" a GTX 560M, it indicates their current production units are produced with that chip built into the system. There is a difference, in that if you have an older M17x, you cannot just swap out the video card for an upgrade like you could with a desktop.

I was thinking of getting a new graphics card too.

I found these for a budget:

PNY GeForce GTS 450 1GB PCI-E Video Card:

Memory Clock Speed 3600, MHz Memory Technology GDDR5, Video Memory 1 GB

API Support DX11, OpenGL Core Clock Speed 783 MHz, Maximum Resolution 2560x1600 Multiple Monitor Support Yes, Processor Type GTS 450 RAMDAC, Speed 1566 MHz, SLI Ready Yes

AMD Radeon HD A6670PE51G 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card:

Effective Memory Clock Speed 1000 MHz, Memory Technology DDR5, Video Memory 1024 MB, API Support DX9; DX10; DX10.1; DX11; OpenGL Core Clock Speed 800 MHz, Maximum Resolution 2560 X 1600, Multiple Monitor Support Yes, Processor Type Turks XT, RAMDAC Speed 400 MHz, SLI Ready Yes

PNY NIVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB PCI-E Video Card:

Effective Memory Clock Speed 1600 MHz, Memory Technology DDR3, Video Memory 1 GB, API Support DX11; OpenGL Core Clock Speed 700 MHz, Maximum Resolution 2560 x 1600 at 32bit (Digital); Max 2048 x 1536 at 32bit (Analog), Multiple Monitor Support Yes Processor Type GT 430 RAMDAC, Speed 1400 MHz, SLI Ready No

I don't need to play the game in high setting to see all the grass, shadow or the wrinkle on Vette's eye lol.

But right now I got a Radeon 35XX for 512MB. So I'm running everything on the very minimum. I just want to run the game on medium to medium-low settings and still get a good performance.

Any tips? :)

I was thinking of getting a new graphics card too.

I found these for a budget:

PNY GeForce GTS 450 1GB PCI-E Video Card:

Memory Clock Speed 3600, MHz Memory Technology GDDR5, Video Memory 1 GB

API Support DX11, OpenGL Core Clock Speed 783 MHz, Maximum Resolution 2560x1600 Multiple Monitor Support Yes, Processor Type GTS 450 RAMDAC, Speed 1566 MHz, SLI Ready Yes

AMD Radeon HD A6670PE51G 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card:

Effective Memory Clock Speed 1000 MHz, Memory Technology DDR5, Video Memory 1024 MB, API Support DX9; DX10; DX10.1; DX11; OpenGL Core Clock Speed 800 MHz, Maximum Resolution 2560 X 1600, Multiple Monitor Support Yes, Processor Type Turks XT, RAMDAC Speed 400 MHz, SLI Ready Yes

PNY NIVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1GB PCI-E Video Card:

Effective Memory Clock Speed 1600 MHz, Memory Technology DDR3, Video Memory 1 GB, API Support DX11; OpenGL Core Clock Speed 700 MHz, Maximum Resolution 2560 x 1600 at 32bit (Digital); Max 2048 x 1536 at 32bit (Analog), Multiple Monitor Support Yes Processor Type GT 430 RAMDAC, Speed 1400 MHz, SLI Ready No

I don't need to play the game in high setting to see all the grass, shadow or the wrinkle on Vette's eye lol.

But right now I got a Radeon 35XX for 512MB. So I'm running everything on the very minimum. I just want to run the game on medium to medium-low settings and still get a good performance.

Any tips? :)

If you are looking at medium settings any one of the cards that you have listed should likely do the trick, the 450 would be the card I would recommend however.

Used? On sale? There's no way you bought a new M17x 2 weeks ago with a geForce 9400 in it.

This guy either got a stationary computer and an Alienware on the side, or he got totally ripped off by someone.

I've got an Alienware M11x R3, and it runs SWTOR fine. And my Dell XPS 17 should be roughly equivalent to an Alienware M17x R3 and that runs SWTOR on highest possible graphics without issues (I have to reduce resolution for 3D though).

OP: if you really have an Alienware computer and it's not running maxed settings lag free, then you need to check that you have installed the correct drivers.

Edited by Deslan

• 1 month later...
Hey i just got my m17 r3 with the AMD 6990 vid card and i was told this would run SWTOR on high every thing. and it does but the frame rate is like at 20-30 on avridge i thought it would be much higher in terms of frame rate? i saw benchmarks for the car i have and it said it would run at like 70? is any of this true? what are your thoughts on the m17 r3 running SWTOR in the frame rate i am experiencing? thank you!