The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Extended Universe Suggestions

Zwoodco

Hello everyone!

I've always loved the Star Wars universe/lore. I watched the movies in the 'correct' order (IV, V, VI, Terrible(I), Okay(II), and This Actually Explains Vader a Bit(III)), and I have attempted to read a few of the EU novels. My only issue so far is that I don't know where to start. I read the first book in the Thrawn Trilogy and enjoyed it, but then I looked at the timeline of EU they had at the back and it is... daunting. It doesn't help that my library doesn't even have half of the books...

So suggestions! What should I read first? Which book/comic/what-have-you has been your favorite?

Addendum: I should also state that a small part of my problem is that I sometimes wind up finding "Book 2 of 4," but can't find the others.

X-wing series (My absolute favorite)

Jedi Academy series

These two would get you started and acquainted with the Post-ROTJ EU, though tread carefully as it will likely be retconned by the new movies so I recommend not straying far from the Rebellion era.

Darth Bane series if you want to read something in the OR era.

and if you've played KOTOR and/or KOTOR II:

Knights of the Old Republic series (graphic novels)

Old Republic series (actually just three random books from the SWTOR time frame)

The majority sees the correct order as 4,5,1,2,3,6. Just FYI.

Read the Deceived book for more info about what happened a few years before SWTOR.

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone posted elsewhere that if you watch 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and just leave 1 then everything actually makes sense still.

To everyone else: I probably should have mentioned that I've played both KotORs... and pretty much every game set in the Star Wars Universe aside from Galaxies (I wasn't into MMOs at the time).

X-wing series (My absolute favorite)

Jedi Academy series

These two would get you started and acquainted with the Post-ROTJ EU, though tread carefully as it will likely be retconned by the new movies so I recommend not straying far from the Rebellion era.

Darth Bane series if you want to read something in the OR era.

and if you've played KOTOR and/or KOTOR II:

Knights of the Old Republic series (graphic novels)

Old Republic series (actually just three random books from the SWTOR time frame)

Is there anything worthwhile from the time period between TOR and Episode 1? That spot interests me the most.

Edit: I saw on the list that Jandi linked that there are QUITE A FEW books from this slot. Are any of them ACTUALLY good? I don't want to wind up getting into an 18-part series only to find it goes downhill in quality halfway.

Edited by Zwoodco
Details

Is there anything worthwhile from the time period between TOR and Episode 1? That spot interests me the most.

Edit: I saw on the list that Jandi linked that there are QUITE A FEW books from this slot. Are any of them ACTUALLY good? I don't want to wind up getting into an 18-part series only to find it goes downhill in quality halfway.

the Darth Bane Trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn is pretty good.

Knight Errant and Darth Plageuis are also pretty good. I enjoyed Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter as well. Honestly though, the era between SWTOR and Episode 1 is lacking in books (probably because there aren't many major wars...). However, all the books in that list that come before Bane are great reads (well ok the Revan book is iffy if you're a lore/continuity junkie).