Challenger vs. Weaponmaster for PVP Carnage Maurader

doughboyxx

I am new to this as a returning player. I need to regear my carnage maurader as I just have the old 50 pvp gear. I have a couple questions. First, do you need to buy one set or the other (challenger or weaponmaster) or can you mix and match to min/max. I notice the helmet on the weaponmaster has power as opposed to crit on the challenger helmet. Can I use the Weaponmaster helmet combined with a power piece from the challenger set and still have both armoring count towards the set bonus?

I'm assuming I can't do this however I noticed when I scrolled over a piece both sets were included in the list on the armor, so I thought I just needed to be sure.

If i can't combine them, then is there a stat difference between the two when all is added up or would I choose one set simply for looks then min/'max as was done in the old days? I do know about the bolster situation however I would still like to grind up my top pvp armor set. I guess I'm wondering what the point of the two medium sets is and which would be advisable for me to obtain. Thanks for any help on this :)

You should by mixed set that includes parts from both

Mix, indeed. Maximize Power. 1-2 Crit pieces wouldn't hurt you much, but it's a general consensus that 0 crit, full power setup works best.

Edited by Helig

Can someone explain to me why 0 crit on carnage spec when we have 30 % crit bonus dmg on massacre ? also, wouldnt it be nice to also crit now and then on viscious throw and even ravage?

Well our most reliable biggest hitter is Force Scream, and by stacking power & surge you can make it hit for 9k'+ even on tanks. Massacre crits are still while damage and so is ravage, that why I guess it's not as much of a priority as Force Scream which is always a guaranteed 6k+ with execute. Also you yourself pointed the issue out,

wouldnt it be nice to also crit now and then
Yes it would but a dmg increase in a sure crit is much better than the potential dmg increase on two moves if they crit. You might go with 1-2 crit enhancements, it isn't the end of the world, but you won't see a worthy difference, in overall DPS, what you WILL see though, is that your Scream Crits won't crit as hard. Edited by Tevzz

Can someone explain to me why 0 crit on carnage spec when we have 30 % crit bonus dmg on massacre ? also, wouldnt it be nice to also crit now and then on viscious throw and even ravage?

Ye but crit dr is steep as hell. In pvp you are better off with 0. PVE gear has got to the level in 78s that most run 1 or 2 mods or enhancements.. and it doesn't do any harm..

Edited by AngusFTW