Unreliability of EMP Pulse question

Nocher

I'm a bit curious (or is it perturbed) about the inconsistency of the effects of the EMP Pulse system on the Nova Dive/Black Bolt. When within range, about 1/3-1/4 times I use it, it simply doesn't do anything to any of the ships inside of the radius (or it has a reduced effect: only disabling systems instead of both systems and engines, or not giving the accuracy debuff). It always hits mines and drones for the damage, but for ships, its effects seems far less consistent.

I suppose my question is whether or not evasion affects the hit chance of the EMP field and whether it was intended to be that way. (seems a bit mean to have evasion against a 45 second cd ability, despite how powerful that ability is)

Edited by Nocher

the range of emp is pretty small @ 3km. i've popped it off thinking i'll hit two or three opponents and only hit one.

i think it's a bit buggy still and the range is too short, imho.

see the thing is, i've even been parked next to someone at 500m and it didn't work (we were collaborating to test this)

I agree that it seems to be very buggy and has too short of a range anyhow. I've used it on my two favorite scouts (one NovaDive, one Blackbolt) with entirely mixed results.

I would also like to say that the text for it is poorly written and a bit confusing. When I first read it, it sounded like it was a buff that would move with your ship. Made sense, given the small radius. So I used it, and it definitely did not stay with my ship. Then I re-read it, and I thought it sounded like the duration might mean debuff duration... or maybe EMP field duration, like a static ball. So I used it a bunch more, and felt more confused than ever since it didn't even seem to be applying to ships that were literally right in front of me, parked.

I then asked a few others for their thoughts on what the text meant, and they disagreed until they were just as confused as I was.

I agree that it seems to be very buggy and has too short of a range anyhow. I've used it on my two favorite scouts (one NovaDive, one Blackbolt) with entirely mixed results.

I would also like to say that the text for it is poorly written and a bit confusing. When I first read it, it sounded like it was a buff that would move with your ship. Made sense, given the small radius. So I used it, and it definitely did not stay with my ship. Then I re-read it, and I thought it sounded like the duration might mean debuff duration... or maybe EMP field duration, like a static ball. So I used it a bunch more, and felt more confused than ever since it didn't even seem to be applying to ships that were literally right in front of me, parked.

I then asked a few others for their thoughts on what the text meant, and they disagreed until they were just as confused as I was.

as far as I can tell, It's a pulse that applies the debuffs or buffs instantaneously when it is used, as when it works, they can move quite far from me and retain their debuffs. The missile immunity seems to be a static aoe effect wherever you hit the button though (I need to do some more testing on that though)

update on this, turns out it applies to them, but the debuff doesnt show.

That's actually a real problem for those who are hit, aint it.

That sounds about right. I've routinely seen targets get no debuffs, but from their behaviour seem incapable of barrel roll regardless.

I had similar issues with the wording. At first, I thought it produced a shroud that pulsed at some unspecified rate. So I kept popping my EMP field and then flying into clusters of mines hoping to take them out. This, obviously, didn't work well at all and produced predictable and repeatable explosive outcomes. Not so bright. I know.

So, I tried to use it by flying into the middle of drone/mine clusters, and then popping EMP field. The problem with this is that trying to get positioned perfectly, while being fired upon, so that you take out multiple mines/drones, while not setting off any mines, proved a bit too difficult. And, when I did manage to place the pulse properly, the effect did not seem all that devastating. I'm pretty sure, it failed to destroy the drones, requiring me to turn around and use blasters.

I've had better results using it offensively against other ships. I've found it more useful in head to heads because of the range limit. With the lag-range issues (e.g., missiles breaking lock when the target seems to be in range and the opposing pilot has not used a defensive cooldown), I have more trouble using it while tailing someone. I really like to be very close before popping it, just to make sure it lands. And if I'm tailing someone and want an offensive ability, I'd probably rather have targeting telemetry. Although, I do find EMP pulse useful for hunting bombers.

I'd like to see something more like an EMP rocket, where we could shoot one once every 20 seconds or so, it would fly out about 4000 M (or until it hit something) and detonate in an EMP blast. Haven't really thought about balance, but that would be a bit more useful since I wouldn't have to fly into the minefield before using it. Maybe too useful. I don't know. Anyway, as an offensive ability, I think I'd rather have targeting telemetry than EMP field. But I'll keep playing with it.