Ship types and differentiation

Verain

The game has room currently for five ship types (a stealth ship perhaps being the fifth type). I think that amid each ship type, we need a lot more differentiation than normal. I also like the idea of a ship type that is dramatically different and mostly serves as utility.

What types would you like to see, going forward? There's rumors of a "command" strike variant, but a ship that actually offers area buffs (real area, not 3km) would IMO be best suited as its own class of ships. I would like to see individual ships differentiated by ship specific components or base stats, such that you could meaningfully make five scout types and have them matter.

Edited by Verain

Except they already tried that and it was a disaster.

Sensor damping. Hard countered by recon builds of the baseline scouts zooming around and revealing their positions.

Only you can't get good kills, damage, or even decent requisition doing that, so no one flies baseline scouts upgraded into pure recon builds.

They chose to go in a strong MMORGP ground PvP direction in almost every place where they had a choice between that and making it work more like a flight combat sim. Perhaps a bit more beginner friendly than needing piloting skill to succeed, but it has severely screwed with the incentive structure when it comes to choosing any role that doesn't involve using burst dps to get kills. In a good combat flight sim, if there are multiple roles then filling them in a sensible manner is required, just like role balance is vital for success in ops. In GSF the reward structure punishes you, and quite harshly, if you play to some of the roles such as recon.

Until they fix that, the only distinctive playstyles that will work are distinctive variations of burst dps.

Edited by Ramalina