The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech viable as Tank AND DPS in 2.6?

Norsad

Hey,

im thinking about to create a Powertech. My main focus would be, to play him/her as tank but with the opionion to play as DPS while leveling or PVP and maybe FP/OP's. So at tanking the PT seems to be very good, but how is it with DPS? Is it viable in Flashpoints and (SM)Operations?

For leveling it's easily viable and for 55 hm's and sm ops I ran with pt dps yesterday with little to no problems. Not sure what their dps is like in high endgame though.

It's fine/good. The only DPS class that isn't as viable as all the others is assassin. Always outliers, but this is the general consensus.

Edited by mastirkal

Thanks for response. Any BIG differences at damage between the two DPS specs? I liked both back in ... erm when all PT's played in Pyro spec ... January 2012 i think.

For PVP at least both dps specs are good and viable to play with both while leveling and when you hit 55. It really would just come down to personal preference most of the time. I leveled with AP and then in my late 40's switched to Pyro and personally prefer playing it now.

Leveling up in PVE both specs are fine too, though I really loved having prototype flamethrower in AP spec because I could burn through trash mobs fast. I'm not too knowledgeable at end game PVE though so I will let somebody else comment on that.

Thanks for response. Any BIG differences at damage between the two DPS specs? I liked both back in ... erm when all PT's played in Pyro spec ... January 2012 i think.

The top AP DPS on a dummy is about 3425dps, while the top Pyro DPS on a dummy is about 3650dps. However, a lot of fights AP is better, due to the adds. E.g. looking at the dread operations:

Fights Pyro is better:

Nefra

Brontes

Tyrans

Raptus

Dread Council (You get put on raptus duty here)

Fights AP is better

Draxus

Grob'thok

Corruptor Zero

Bestia

Calphayus

Compared to most other classes, you have a lot less dps. And i doubt they will do anything about it soon, they look busy with Starfighter i doubt you will see classes updated before 2.7 if lucky or later on.

So if you want competitive PvE dps, pick something else.... or you might be left out.

Flashpoints and sm operations? Pfft. Don't worry so much if that's the case. They are hella fun to play and nobody could possibly believe that if you wiped on a boss it was because you were playing a dps powertech(nobody good/smart anyway). I say go for it!