The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Help me understand this class!

RehKi

Hey guys,

So I leveled a shadow to lvl37 before I decided that shadow wasn't made for me. I really taught the shadow would be a rogue like class, but there is no "combo", almost no stuns, cc or anything I liked about the rogue... and on top of that he's not doing any damage besides huge bursts here and there when all the planets align.

So... I really taught about it... and decided to play a tropper vanguard since I prefer the "tanking" part than the "healing" one. So yesterday I went from 0 to lvl15 without knowing anything about the class. I took the shield tree since I want to be able to run flashpoints and I want to know some things about the vanguard.

Stats stacking?

KK, since we're tanks we all know that endurance is a priority, but what about aim vs cunning? I'm pretty sure aim is like 10 times more important than cunning since we don't use much technology, but I just wanted to make sure.

Spec?

Am I doing it wrong? I know I could be more tanky taking some "defensive" talent, but my goal is to level... and mostly doing it solo since most of my friends are now 40+ here is a spec I did... is it ok?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GbdorRgzZrzbZ0c.1

Crewskill?

Is there any recommended crewskills? I was thinking about biochem... is that allright?

Finaly, which pet are you using the most?

Dps, healing.... ?

As a Vanguard you want aim-endurance (dont get cunning!)

You dont need shield spec to do the leveling flash points...I would go assault, then switch to shield at 50 for the high level flash points.

Im bio-chem, Bio-analysis and diplomacy.

And I use Elara, the healing companion.

Im currently level 40 and find I'm clearing out PVE mobs faster than most classes and can still tank well enough when I switch to ion cell and shield gen.

Also I destroy in world pvp.

Fun times

Stats stacking?

KK, since we're tanks we all know that endurance is a priority, but what about aim vs cunning? I'm pretty sure aim is like 10 times more important than cunning since we don't use much technology, but I just wanted to make sure.

As a Trooper, you do not want Cunning ever. Aim is the only stat you should go for as it increases your tech weapon damage AND elemental damage. As a tank, your secondary stats should be defense, absorption, etc.

Spec?

Am I doing it wrong? I know I could be more tanky taking some "defensive" talent, but my goal is to level... and mostly doing it solo since most of my friends are now 40+ here is a spec I did... is it ok?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GbdorRgzZrzbZ0c.1

For end-game tanking I would do this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

For leveling I would actually go Tactics, because you can just put Ion Cell on and tank virtually all Flashpoints up into your 40's with this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsrRorfkbsZb.1

Go up tactics all the way, then 2 in improving Stockstrike, then finish out the Shield Spec tree (though you can switch to Shield Spec at level 40 if you would like).

Crewskill?

Is there any recommended crewskills? I was thinking about biochem... is that allright?

This doesn't really matter, and Biochem will do extremely well (really nice having powerful self-heals as a tank). But there are some perks to other professions:

Armstech -- supply your own weapons and barrels as rifles are few and far between from level 25-35; however, you can spend commendations on upgrading your modifiable rifles to help with this.

Armormech -- Be able to outfit yourself and companions with gear. This is nice, but like Armstech, this can be circumvented from commendations AND PvP gear at level 20 and 40.

Overall, I would go Biochem too.

Finaly, which pet are you using the most?

Dps, healing.... ?

Elara Dorne -- Healer (you get her on Taris)

thanks for your input guys.

the only question I have left is:

Do you really think shield isn't valid for leveling? Cause I see alot of shield spec'd ppl on the forums... cause it seems easier to take packs of mob with it... might be wrong.

Just wondering how tactics fair against pack of mobs... cause i'm the kind of guy that will go berserk into those pack ;)

The only issue with shield leveling is that single 'hard targets' (strong / elite mobs) die slower than if you were a damage spec.

Being able to mow down groups of 5 mobs at once makes up for it, though...

edit: the drawback is that as a shield spec vanguard you NEED to use Elara Dorne 100% of the time after you get her (maybe the ship droid works too, I haven't bothered). The tank spec companions are right out, and the dps companions will lead to annoying downtime between fights, especially after level 30.

Edited by Zaphir

The only issue with shield leveling is that single 'hard targets' (strong / elite mobs) die slower than if you were a damage spec.

Being able to mow down groups of 5 mobs at once makes up for it, though...

edit: the drawback is that as a shield spec vanguard you NEED to use Elara Dorne 100% of the time after you get her (maybe the ship droid works too, I haven't bothered). The tank spec companions are right out, and the dps companions will lead to annoying downtime between fights, especially after level 30.

This. Overall I've really enjoyed leveling as a Shield spec though, and since I like Elara as a companion I don't have a problem with it.

Though, once dual-spec is in I wouldn't mind running M1-4X more while DPS specced. Love his character.

Hey guys,

So I leveled a shadow to lvl37 before I decided that shadow wasn't made for me. I really taught the shadow would be a rogue like class, but there is no "combo", almost no stuns, cc or anything I liked about the rogue... and on top of that he's not doing any damage besides huge bursts here and there when all the planets align.

This is off topic but if you were looking for something close to a rogue it would be the Sentinel. Focus mechanic is similar to combos as in you have to do certain attacks to build it for the bigger attacks to use. In general the game play is the closet you will get to being a rogue in this game. As you found out the only thing a Shadow has in common with a rogue is the ability to stealth.

thanks for your input guys.

the only question I have left is:

Do you really think shield isn't valid for leveling? Cause I see alot of shield spec'd ppl on the forums... cause it seems easier to take packs of mob with it... might be wrong.

Just wondering how tactics fair against pack of mobs... cause i'm the kind of guy that will go berserk into those pack ;)

Shield spec is amazing for leveling AND pvp. I am almost all shield at the moment at level 40 and doing great PvE wise and am a beast in PvP (top damage, 8+ awards per game).

This is off topic but if you were looking for something close to a rogue it would be the Sentinel. Focus mechanic is similar to combos as in you have to do certain attacks to build it for the bigger attacks to use. In general the game play is the closet you will get to being a rogue in this game. As you found out the only thing a Shadow has in common with a rogue is the ability to stealth.

I thought smuggler/ scoundrel/ scrapper was the closest to a rogue. But I haven't played it, so I could be wrong.

For end-game tanking I would do this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

This is not the optimal end-game tanking build - For reasons I have posted in other threads and wont repeat huge messages here.

Why oh why can Vanguards not get it through their freaking heads that this spec is really not very good? Bounty Hunters already know this information - why are Vanguards so behind the times?