The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The REAL Most Powerful Revisited

Beniboybling

I'd just like to make what I feel is an important point regarding the relationships and comparison of Control, Sense and Alter feats. In particular I feel its necessary to reinforce the distinction between pure abilities in Control and Sense and the collaborative abilities involving when using Alter.

Pure abilities within the sphere of Control, Sense etc. would involve things like Force healing, and precognition. These are end results, the intended effect and therefore they require a "heroic" ability to use. On the other hand something like Drain Life requires "heroic" ability in Alter, but only difficult or very difficult in the scope of Control and Sense. Because they are stepping stones rather than the end result and therefore are easier to perform.

In such a way we shouldn't assume that the Sith Emperor's Alter abilities will be enough to surpass Caedus in the spheres of Control and Sense, because regardless of how impressive they are it is unlikely that they will stack up to purely Control and Sense geared abilities, they simply demand less power, they are stepping stones.

On top of that we should consider that Caedus' abilities within the scope of Alter are equally reliant on Control and Sense, and therefore is he surpasses him in a certain category, he surpasses him in the other aspects as well.

Of course there are exceptions, certain abilities such as the Ritual on Nathema would have required considerable amounts of Control perhaps even comparable to Caedus' pure abilities in this fields. But we mustn't exaggerate, the original WEG sourcebooks make quite clear that Alter abilities that draw on Control and Sense ultimately demand less ability in these categories than abilities geared specifically towards them.

Also thank you legend for bringing these distinctions and sourcebooks to my attention, I'll make sure to review as many abilities as I can get my hands on and conduct a personal review of the lists in light of that information.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The unsupported assumptions are highlighted.

I understand your point completely, but I'm afraid I'd relegate its credibility to a dumpster. There is no evidence, I repeat no evidence at all that states that this particular feat was achieved solely though the Force, if by the Force at all. It is pure speculation on your part I'm afraid, and not very logical explanation either.

In a Kaggath, which involves more than just an individual, but armies. It could just have well have been destroyed by military vehicles, projectiles etc. or a combination of all of the above. Which are far more well-known for causing substantial, indiscriminate and collateral damage especially to buildings. It is highly unlikely that they just used the Force to tear the thing down - given that they all Force attacks would be projected at each other. And it would take considerable effort and concentration for any Force User to do so. Its incredibly tenuous.

I did not stated that those Dark Council members destroyed the Citadel with a simple wave of a hand.

Those two Dark Council members may have inflicted massive damage to the foundations of the building with their powers while dueling each other which eventually led to collapse of the building. I understand the "powerbases factor" but the issue in this particular case is that other Dark Council members also got involved in this event and killed the original two responsible for destruction of the building, this would not have been possible in presence of "army level powerbases" of the Dark Council members responsible for destruction otherwise some of the other Dark Council members could have ended up dead too during this event. This is not unbelievable development in the light of events featuring Bane and Exal Kressh.

• Bane managed to collapse a building in Lehon or portion of it by shattering its foundations with a single powerful wave of energy.

• A confrontation between Exal Kressh and Thanaton onboard a space station ended with the destruction of the gigantic structure, this duel was also very violent and no powerbases were involved from either side.

I am not asserting that feats of such magnitude are easy to pull off, they are obviously not. My intended point is that Sith Emperor is even more powerful then such powerhouses and can relatively do BETTER in the matters of destroying the surroundings, if in their shoes.

2. Of which I shall take into account, however I will also highlight some errors in judgement you have made.

A positive step nonetheless.

3. The Sith Emperor is slowly drifting from the forefront and his death is becoming increasingly solidified, I don't doubt he will return, but I expect only briefly before succumbing to a final death. We shall see.

I recall that when Sidious got knocked out on the Death Star, it took him a year to acquire a suitable host to posses and this too with the aid of other Sith sprits. Afterwards, it took him 5 additional years to recover his strength.

4. I never claimed you were making things up, but you exaggerate. Nox's actions have be canonised in the SWTORE, his abilities have yet to be elaborated on. Given that we lack the knowledge to make accurate claims.

I am not exaggerating! You can check some information details here.

5. It was a brawl in a closely confined space, in which Jade laid a trap that should have killed an ordinary Force User. Not once was Caedus able to use his lightsaber or really apply himself effectively. You are right though Jacen did use the Force, and Mara Jade had herself thrown about many times when he did and seemed incapable of resisting, so I don't see your point there. I see no evidence to suggest that the Sith Emperor would have fared any better, his lack of close quarters combat abilities would have more likely ensured his demise if anything.

Mara collapsed some part of the ceiling upon him? This is the trap, right? This is not a trap, she used her powers to undermine her adversary to make the best use of her surroundings to her advantage like any smart individual would do. I recall that Malgus once found himself in similar situation and he did well even though he was not in good shape so its not like Caedus pulled off something unique in this clash (I do accept the part that an ordinary Force-user would have got punked in this duel but Caedus was not much like Malgus).

More importantly, you are making a serious miscalculation about capabilities of Emperor in this respect. I don't think that Mara can undermine Emperor even in this setting, Emperor can easily prevent any attempt to crush him beneath the debris and proceed to punk opposition with his powers, he also have the option to break Mara with just his mental powers and this feat doesn't requires any setting to work. Keep in mind that Emperor is lot more battle-tested then both Caedus and Mara, possibly even combined. This is the guy who can defeat Revan, Meetra and Scourge simultaneously in close-range combat situation, think wisely when you make an assumption.

And yes, the others were simple knights, but it is a mere demonstration that Caedus is easily capable of defeating Force Users on the level of Mara Jade Skywalker, and then some. Kyle Katarn being more than on that level. I am not attempting to make a comparison here, I don't believe that comparison you are trying to make can be made.

Caedus's effectiveness not just depends upon his own skills but also on the setting of the duel and decisions of his opposition. If opposition made a poor judgment, confrontation is not likely to end well against such a powerful Force-user.

Sith Emperor is pure power duelist, he just eliminates or forces any kind of opposition to submission with a range of overwhelming powers that are not setting dependent. This is swift and decisive approach to end a conflict before it gets prolonged with martial actions and such. Emperor had wisely honed his talents in this manner.

Put Caedus in shoes of Emperor and I don't think he would have lasted as long or pulled off his feats. This is not because that Caedus is not talented all that but he doesn't have skills and power to replicate Emperor. In-fact, the Jedi Strike Team that attempted to arrest Emperor would have succeeded against majority of foes including Caedus in the Emperor's shoes. This makes sense because Caedus' combative tactics would have favored that Strike Team's approach towards combat and this Strike Team was made up of most powerful Jedi of that era with Hero of Tython being among the most powerful Force-users of the mythos himself.

5. You make the erroneous error that Luke was an inferior lightsaber duelist to Caedus, and that he was in anyway lacking in this arena. This is incorrect, in fact all evidence suggests that Luke Skywalker was the greatest lightsaber duelist that the galaxy had ever seen, defeating the likes of Darth Sidious in his prime of whom Yoda and Mace Windu were both unable to overcome, the former being acknowledge as the greatest lightsaber duelist in history. So no, Caedus did not have a single advantage here, he was inferior in the Force and duelling skills. Remembering of course the two are closely interlinked, Luke like all Jedi, empowers himself with Force valor.

I have not stated that Luke was inferior duelist but that this was also a strong point of Caedus and this is why this duel ended up in a brutal brawl. Luke had the options to punk Caedus with his Force powers but for some odd reason chose not to.

I understand that Luke may not have been in the right mindset, but that shouldn't have done anything to hamper his defenses, he may not have wanted to hurt Caedus, but he certainly did not want to be killed by him. Remembering that this is Luke Skywalker we are concerning ourselves with, the most powerful Force User the galaxy has ever seen, being able to go toe-to-toe with him under any circumstances proves that in a straight up fight Mara Jade would not have stood a chance. He is certainly more powerful than the Hero of Tython.

Correctiion: Luke, in lore, is not the most powerful Force-user the galaxy has ever seen. This is fanon assumption. I know that whole chosen one stuff but actual canon revelations concerning Luke are as follows:

"Luke Skywalker, the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, was being accused for the millions of deaths the second civil war supplied?"

"Luke Skywalker is still the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy. I think we should assume he has a plan."

"...but rather a fight with one of the most powerful Jedi in history"

This being said, duel between Luke and Caedus did not end up with Luke resorting to his Force powers to overwhelm his opposition like he did in many cases. If Luke had chosen to do so, he would have punked Caedus as he demonstrated earlier by putting Caedus in a choke-hold which Caedus couldn't shrug off.

Your perceptions need adjusting, I suggest you look at more objective demonstrations of Force ability as opposed to highly circumstantial confrontations with Caedus' nonetheless powerful contemporaries.

I am being objective and I have noted all abilities of Caedus.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Also thank you legend for bringing these distinctions and sourcebooks to my attention, I'll make sure to review as many abilities as I can get my hands on and conduct a personal review of the lists in light of that information.

For your reviewing pleasure http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Force_Powers

Edit: obviously ignore common "house Ruled" powers. As while they may be reasoned well it doesnt have a sourcebook source for them.

Edit 2: also note in the game every task beyond the first task forces you to lose a single Die from your pool on all of those tasks effectively making every task more difficult to preform. (so if some one is lifting 3 objects and fighting with his lighstaber its counted as 5 tasks lightsaber counting as 2 because of both Control and sense being used this it would be -4d) You'll note though they dont have force waves or Pushes listed so difficult to call on how much harder those are to do to multiple people by comparison to levitation which is admitedly more difficult form of TK.

Edited by tunewalker

You sir, are a star. :D

by the way we may have stats on the Emperor http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=(_Emperor_)_Palpatine

Edit: to put his stats into perspective to preform a heroic level feat some one generally needs to roll a 30-35 so that requirse a minimum of 5-6D...... The emperor's for skills are all 15D+.... he preforms Heroic feats with consimate ease.

Edit 2: FP, DP and Character points can also be used to modify rolls so having a lot of those means ya Heroic difficult task and the emperor responds with

Edited by tunewalker

....? Are we seriously using game stats for characters in seeing how strong they are? What? :confused:
They are certainly helpful indicators, however what I'm more interested in is how specific abilities draw on specific aspects of the Force. I'm sure the RP stats will prove helpful to however, they are quite definitive.

After all, what reasons do we have to doubt them? These sourcebooks are C-Canon.

Edited by Beniboybling

They are certainly helpful indicators, however what I'm more interested in is how specific abilities draw on specific aspects of the Force. I'm sure the RP stats will prove helpful to however, they are quite definitive.

After all, what reasons do we have to doubt them? These sourcebooks are C-Canon.

Source books are but I am pretty sure Game Mechanics are supposed to be N-cannon, and of course there are people not listed or people at earlier times but hey just some things i was sharing.

Source books are but I am pretty sure Game Mechanics are supposed to be N-cannon, and of course there are people not listed or people at earlier times but hey just some things i was sharing.
Of course, but we have to consider what's game mechanics and what's not i.e. the distinctions between Control, Sense and Alter are canon. The statistics concerning power should be taken with a pinch of salt, but at the same time they are indicative or truth.

Of course, but we have to consider what's game mechanics and what's not i.e. the distinctions between Control, Sense and Alter are canon. The statistics concerning power should be taken with a pinch of salt, but at the same time they are indicative or truth.

Well if you do look through all of them for power in the Force you will Find 1. Palp's 2. Yoda 3. DE Luke 4. Vima-da-boda 5. Vader, Kun only has his spirit form listed and some jedi only have their up to begining of Clone wars selfs listed many characters a missing. I dont find entirely to inaccurate but of course there is some points we can say some inaccuracy either way have fun looking through some of that stuff beni just remember to add salt :D.

Yes I know that my thoughts on this come from the WEG source books where things like Detoxifying Nerotoxin is considered heroic level difficulty of control which Saba has done and Sensing the Planet she did from across the galaxy when distance and relationship is all there that is a heroic level of Sense. ( I am just using Saba as an example right now as other specific events of some arent coming to my mind.).

Difficulty level in each task depends upon the nature/complexity of the action performed. Yes, it is possible to approach heroic difficulty levels even with spectrum exclusive powers.

Some Lightsaber Combat can be thought of as Heroic level Sense and Control feats, Of course Heroic just Alter feats come all over the place in TK feats for many characters especially since the more objects you add the more difficult it becomes or the more weight you add the more difficult it becomes or the more some one has to maneuver the object.

I am using a source though admitedly unsure about how up to date it is.

You will be surprised by this revelation:-

CONTROL difficulty: Moderate

SENSE difficulty: Easy

Pure abilities within the sphere of Control, Sense etc. would involve things like Force healing, and precognition. These are end results, the intended effect and therefore they require a "heroic" ability to use.

Difficulty level of every power varies in accordance with its prerequisites and nature of the action performed.

Examples of CONTROL powers:-

Tutaminis: from very easy to difficult

Healing: from very easy to difficult

Concentration: from easy to very difficult

Contort: from very easy to heroic

However, these are less complex powers then those which require combination of talents from multiple spectrums of the Force to pull off and therefore relatively less taxing to employ accordingly.

On the other hand something like Drain Life requires "heroic" ability in Alter, but only difficult or very difficult in the scope of Control and Sense. Because they are stepping stones rather than the end result and therefore are easier to perform.

You got this wrong;

From Star Wars: The Tales of Jedi Companion

Each Force skill governs a multitude of powers. Some powers are very easy, while others are exceptionally hard, and some even require the character to know certain other powers to learn the ability.

Many of these powers use a combination of the three Jedi skills. When such a power is used, calling upon each Force skill is a separate action. The Jedi may roll each skill in consecutive rounds at no penalty, or may attempt to fully activate the power in one round, incurring multiple action penalties.

Let us consider the example of Force Storm (Wormhole) power. This power requires heroic difficulty in all spectrums of the Force to employ successfully. What this implies is that a Force-user have to perform multiple talents simultaneously to achieve this one action as end result and this is extremely tedious and complex action.

So you cannot assert that the action of nullifying the effect of a powerful poison (which may require heroic effort in one spectrum) is as demanding as an action that requires heroic effort in all spectrums to pull off.

In such a way we shouldn't assume that the Sith Emperor's Alter abilities will be enough to surpass Caedus in the spheres of Control and Sense, because regardless of how impressive they are it is unlikely that they will stack up to purely Control and Sense geared abilities, they simply demand less power, they are stepping stones.

You got this wrong. Here is an explanation:

From Star Wars: The Tales of Jedi Companion

SENSE

This skill teaches a Jedi to sense the Force in other things beyond her own body. The Jedi learns to feel the bonds that connect all living things, and gives her the ability to understand how all things are interconnected.

From the actions of Sith Emperor, it is obvious that he can not just sense the presence of other Force-users but he can also forge bonds with other Force-users. He performed these actions since he had performed lot of activities that involve sensing the presence of other Force-users and created bonds with thousands of individuals serving him, maintained such bonds simultaneously. Once Sith Emperor mastered these talents of SENSE spectrum, it paved way for him to perform more complex actions affiliated with these talents in ALTER spectrum. He began to influence the individuals with which he had forged bonds in various manner like bolstering their power, affecting their minds and vice versa.

Sith Emperor, in-fact, went as far as to influence those individuals with his telepathic abilities with whom he shared no bonds and even created and sustained alternate personas like CHILDREN within other Force-users. These are some talents that Caedus have not replicated on level of Sith Emperor.

In-fact, Emperor's feats of VOICES requires considerable mastery in all spectrums of the Force. Caedus have not demonstrated this talent at all.

On top of that we should consider that Caedus' abilities within the scope of Alter are equally reliant on Control and Sense, and therefore is he surpasses him in a certain category, he surpasses him in the other aspects as well.

Sith Emperor have performed some actions of unmatched complexity in comparison, demonstrating superior understanding of the Force on the whole.

Of course there are exceptions, certain abilities such as the Ritual on Nathema would have required considerable amounts of Control perhaps even comparable to Caedus' pure abilities in this fields. But we mustn't exaggerate, the original WEG sourcebooks make quite clear that Alter abilities that draw on Control and Sense ultimately demand less ability in these categories than abilities geared specifically towards them.

Nathema feat most likely represents most complex and tedious action to successfully pull off for a Force-user in the mythos till date.

During this ritual, Sith Emperor not just had to augment his senses on planetary scale but he had to simultaneously forge bonds with and CONTROL minds of 8000 other Sith Lords to prevent escape attempts and slowly shift to ALTER phase to absorb life essences of all of the biota in the planet to achieve his objectives of self-improvement like decay prevention, power progression and prolonging of life. Extremely tedious work.

You're welcome. :)

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Game stats are N-canon yes, so..it's rather pointless to use them, they are considered game mechanics.

Background information given in the RPG sourcebooks such as biographies, stories, blueprints, etc. is proper canon. Stats, on the contrary, are considered game mechanics. Stats include details such as weapon damage, speed, and character attributes (strength, intelligence, dexterity, health points etc).

Even without all that...come on really Beni? We should take what they have actual done and compare it within actual novels/comics and so forth, not rely on RPG dice stats or whatever you wanna call em.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Absorb/Dissipate_Energy

"Characters may use this power to absorb energy attacks (such as blaster bolts and force lightning) — the difficulty is Moderate plus the attack's damage roll."

Tutaminis when used against Force lightning is Moderate + Force lightning damage of opponent which is equal to the Opponents skill in Alter, as such Tutaminis can have well above heroic difficulty.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lightsaber_Combat While it is simple to get "up" fighting another Lightsaber wielder often means you are directly comparing 3 big things. Your Lightsaber skill, your Dexterity and your Sense (sense is what is added to landing the blow or parrying the blows.) As such if an opponent has heroic levels of Skill with a saber you need heroic levels to beat him thus you can NEED heroic level rolls to make a successful hit with saber. Its not the MINIMUM i talk about but the Maximum.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Life_Sense + modifiers of stranger and another speicies +30 and a galaxy across +30 makes for a heroic difficulty.

I dont think I need continue Since this illustrates the only point I was making any way.

Game stats are N-canon yes, so..it's rather pointless to use them, they are considered game mechanics.

Even without all that...come on really Beni? We should take what they have actual done and compare it within actual novels/comics and so forth, not rely on RPG dice stats or whatever you wanna call em.

Agreed personally.

^This. Fully agreed.

Basically the stats are their to serve the story of the game then it is the actual stats of the character, thus some characters will be vastly stronger or weaker then they should be to serve the Narrative. Like people dont want you to Kill Yoda or The emperor or Darth Vader in most RPG's its supposed to be if you run into them and you are on the opposing side you are supposed to run. Or they show up and you are on the same side you sing Haleluja cus you just got saved. Now of course their are some weaker ones as when they show up its either supposed to be a legit challenge or supposed to give minor help. Edited by tunewalker

As surprising as this may sound, authorities themselves do not ignore stats when acquainting themselves with the abilities of a character as apparent from the example of Leeland Chee:

"But stats themselves aren't created randomly; they are based on what is already known. As such, we can always look to them as a basis when writing books. I often look to RPG stats to see for example, what type of Force powers a character may have. Or if we haven't determined the stats of a particular vehicle, we can look to RPG stats for a basis of comparison."

If an information is valuable for discussion at hand, I don't see why it cannot be factored-in.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Well here is somethign to think about, every single person listed as a jedi Master in that Game have more then enough dice to preform 2-4 heroic level feats simultaneously. Thus if we do use those "stats" its exactly what I am talking about, just because some one can preform a skill such as that doesnt automatically put him over the others because according to the source thats being used..... even Masters such as Qui-gon could do it with a certain amount of ease as long as they know the force power. So ultimately going back to what Aurbere and Wolf suggest will ultimately likely be more productive. Edited by tunewalker

Well here is somethign to think about, every single person listed as a jedi Master in that Game have more then enough dice to preform 2-4 heroic level feats simultaneously. Thus if we do use those "stats" its exactly what I am talking about, just because some one can preform a skill such as that doesnt automatically put him over the others because according to the source thats being used..... even Masters such as Qui-gon could do it with a certain amount of ease as long as they know the force power.

It is not wise to use information of this kind blindly. What we can do is focus on important information like the act of detoxifying toxin:-

Alcohol = Very Easy

Poison = Moderate

Virulent Poison = Very Difficult

Neurotoxin = Heroic

Now this information clarifies to us that how much effort is involved in performing these actions and what level of command of the Force is of a wielder in this department. In this manner, we can prevent personal bias from clouding our judgments when evaluating feats of characters in comparative topics.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

As surprising as this may sound, authorities themselves do not ignore stats when acquainting themselves with the abilities of a character as apparent from the example of Leeland Chee:

"But stats themselves aren't created randomly; they are based on what is already known. As such, we can always look to them as a basis when writing books. I often look to RPG stats to see for example, what type of Force powers a character may have. Or if we haven't determined the stats of a particular vehicle, we can look to RPG stats for a basis of comparison."

If an information is valuable for discussion at hand, I don't see why it cannot be factored-in.

Because we will get bogged down with game mechanics rather than simply discussing what powers and abilities a character has.

That, and I don't want to.

Because we will get bogged down with game mechanics rather than simply discussing what powers and abilities a character has.

That, and I don't want to.

This is just an additional avenue of information for evaluating character strengths. Their is no need to get involved in DICE ROLL and NUMBERS stuff and all that. Important stuff to note is that what are prerequisites of a power and how much effort is needed to perform an action. This is all.

Sourcebooks provide us with some solid information in this respect instead of us being left to decide on our own that which actions should rank higher in our eyes.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

It is not wise to use information of this kind blindly. What we can do is focus on important information like the act of detoxifying toxin:-

Alcohol = Very Easy

Poison = Moderate

Virulent Poison = Very Difficult

Neurotoxin = Heroic

Now this information clarifies to us that how much effort is involved in performing these actions and what level of command of the Force is of a wielder in this department. In this manner, he prevent personal bias from clouding our judgments when evaluating feats of characters in comparative topics.

Yes and you will note that almost every Jedi Master has 9 Control or higher as it only requires all 6's with 5D to succeed at a heroic task a Jedi with 9 dice can do 2 heroic tasks and still succeed at both only needing an everage of 4 on each of the Dice. So I am not exagurating anything, higher level masters have 12 dice 4 tasks would put them on the same level as the other 3 means it would be even easier for them, so on and so forth. Ultimately its pointless to use the stats to really judge these characters for this reason, but I am sure Beni will see that so I think I am done for now besides I want to go see my little cousins have fun with out me for a while guys :D.

Yes and you will note that almost every Jedi Master has 9 Control or higher as it only requires all 6's with 5D to succeed at a heroic task a Jedi with 9 dice can do 2 heroic tasks and still succeed at both only needing an everage of 4 on each of the Dice. So I am not exagurating anything, higher level masters have 12 dice 4 tasks would put them on the same level as the other 3 means it would be even easier for them, so on and so forth. Ultimately its pointless to use the stats to really judge these characters for this reason, but I am sure Beni will see that so I think I am done for now besides I want to go see my little cousins have fun with out me for a while guys :D.

No need to get involved in DICE ROLL and NUMBERS stuff. Just use information that is relevant for evaluation of powers like I did. In short, keep the evaluation process simple.

We don't need to figure out the capabilities of lets say random Jedi Master with this kind of information. We have canon information to help us pick candidates for topics like these and we can just use information with which we can know who is better then who in which respect.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD