Post-ROTJ characters have been replaced.

LadyKulvax

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EU characters will be the inspiration for major new continuity characters, but people shouldn't expect to see the likes of Kyle Katarn but characters based on them.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Rumor_Characters_In_New_Continuity_Will_Be_Based_On_Characters_From_The_EU_156408.asp

This confirms what I've said from the start of the whole wiping out of the EU: The best characters and ideas will be saved for the movies and related lore content.

The rest will be trashed.

This confirms what I've said from the start of the whole wiping out of the EU: The best characters and ideas will be saved for the movies and related lore content.

As this is just a rumor, it confirms nothing. Seems unlikely they'll wholesale dump all characters but then re-use the character story but not call them "Kyle Katarn" or "Corran Horn" - because without the character name, audiences will have zero resonance with them (of course I'm talking about readers of books and comics and games).

Completely expected, but still... *sigh* there goes the Sword of the Jedi novels I was looking forward to.

Was looking forward to it as well but I'm not sure that it neccerairly means it was canceled. Maybe they just let it continue as a alternate universe.

Was looking forward to it as well but I'm not sure that it neccerairly means it was canceled. Maybe they just let it continue as a alternate universe.

That'd be nice, but it's really not likely. The whole point of the Story Team that Lucas Arts put together was specifically to make sure all future SW content, be it movies, books, comics, or TV shows, is the same "canon". I don't think they'd be making a point of doing that if they were going to start throwing in Alternative Universes to the mix.

Don't get me wrong, part of me likes the idea of a refreshed take on Star Wars that will let new fans in without being lost by the mountain of continuity, especially since a lot of people are involved who know and love the EU we've had for decades now.

To draw a parallel to Disney's other big acquisition, Marvel, it looks like what they did with their Ultimates line: a streamlined and refined take on the franchise, taking plenty of inspiration from the original timeline (and heck, the end result may even have a fair number of winks and nods to it, too), but much more accessible and less bogged down under its own weight. (And we can at least hope better consistency and overall quality in the end product.)

But if you ask me, one of the nice things about the Ultimates line, is that it didn't replace the original line. You had Ultimate Spiderman for the new fans, and you still had Amazing Spiderman for the people who did enjoy the world that had been built up there over the years and didn't want to see it replaced by a "new take" on the mythos.

I think this was pretty much inevitable, to those that are not reading the books and graphic novels, chars like chewbacca are required. If you introduce the solo children unless you are going to retell the original story (good kid turns bad, gets killed by relative) you pretty much have to call mulligan on some of the details.

Given the age of the actors relative to the age of the chars you are either going to have to jump into the middle of some story people will have no idea what is going on or find a way to bridge the gap between ROTJ and Episode 7 "Geriatric wars".

Additionally certain authors may own certain rights when it comes to their chars so trying to make a movie with Thrawn which took place a decade after when actors are now pushing 20 years post ROTJ, not going to work.

Unless you are going to explain HOW Chewie and Mara Jade die, you either go before that (wont work due to age of actors) or you go after and end up changing the details.

Continuity problems exist either way and drive fans crazy, at this point, how do you limit the fire.

Don't get me wrong, part of me likes the idea of a refreshed take on Star Wars that will let new fans in without being lost by the mountain of continuity, especially since a lot of people are involved who know and love the EU we've had for decades now.

To draw a parallel to Disney's other big acquisition, Marvel, it looks like what they did with their Ultimates line: a streamlined and refined take on the franchise, taking plenty of inspiration from the original timeline (and heck, the end result may even have a fair number of winks and nods to it, too), but much more accessible and less bogged down under its own weight. (And we can at least hope better consistency and overall quality in the end product.)

But if you ask me, one of the nice things about the Ultimates line, is that it didn't replace the original line. You had Ultimate Spiderman for the new fans, and you still had Amazing Spiderman for the people who did enjoy the world that had been built up there over the years and didn't want to see it replaced by a "new take" on the mythos.

I can't argue with the idea of having more options. That said, a simpler, cleaner canon speaks for itself. My condolences to those who enjoyed the later books, but look at it like this:

I can almost guarantee that somewhere in LucasArts, there's a flow chart where the new canon is already being devised and it's undoubted plotted out for the next 20 years of movies, books, games and whatnot. And I would be shocked if they didn't have the basic timeline of the Solo/Skywalker kids planned out already and much of it drawn from the EU canon. The Solo/Skywalker clans and the Thrawn storyline are the only redeemable parts of the EU, after all, and I fully expect to see both of these on the screen sooner rather than later.

The Solo/Skywalker clans and the Thrawn storyline are the only redeemable parts of the EU, after all, and I fully expect to see both of these on the screen sooner rather than later.

You've obviously never read any of the Rogue Squadron books or comics, or the follow up Corran Horn solo novel. CLASSIC Star Wars that takes on a lot of the story immediately following ROTJ. The Dark Empire series was also pretty good.

Also, I'm listed in the acknowledgments of Tyrant's Test, so I'd hate to see that go the way of the dodo...

You've obviously never read any of the Rogue Squadron books or comics, or the follow up Corran Horn solo novel. CLASSIC Star Wars that takes on a lot of the story immediately following ROTJ. The Dark Empire series was also pretty good.

Also, I'm listed in the acknowledgments of Tyrant's Test, so I'd hate to see that go the way of the dodo...

My apologies, I forgot about Rogue Squadron. That's good stuff, too.

The Dark Empire stuff was silly. Clones, clones everywhere.

Since you mentioned Tyrant's Test...

The one-two punch of Darksaber and Planet of Twilight killed my interest in the Bantam era, especially because I had some idea of what was on the horizon with Crystal Star *shudder*. Was the The Black Fleet crisis actually worth the read? I know I want to finally go back to read the Hand of Thrawn series, and I've been thinking about whether to read The Black Fleet Crisis, The New Rebellion, and The Corellian Trilogy first.

Edited by DarthDymond

My apologies, I forgot about Rogue Squadron. That's good stuff, too.

The Dark Empire stuff was silly. Clones, clones everywhere.

Yet you like the Thrawn story, which not only had clones, clones everywhere, but named them the same as the original just adding an extra vowel in their first name?

Selective memory. ;)

To me, the stories were not far apart, and Luke's perilous trip to the Dark Side (redeemed by his sister) was pretty inspired.

Thrawn had some good stuff in it, but wasn't nearly as action/adventure/humorous as the OT.

Since you mentioned Tyrant's Test...

The one-two punch of Darksaber and Planet of Twilight killed my interest in the Bantam era, especially because I had some idea of what was on the horizon with Crystal Star *shudder*. Was the The Black Fleet crisis actually worth the read? I know I want to finally go back to read the Hand of Thrawn series, and I've been thinking about whether to read The Black Fleet Crisis, The New Rebellion, and The Corellian Trilogy first.

The Black Fleet Crisis was pretty good. It did suffer from "Another Super Weapon" Syndrome, which many of the early novels did, but it was a lot more solid than some of the KJA stuff, which was often comic-booky (in fact, his comic SW stuff plays out much nicer, especially the Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma stuff that became the pre-cursor to this very game.)

please for the love of the emperor don't let Mara Jade get the axe... :(

at least i still have all 5 Thrawn books and Masters of Teräs Käsi on PSone, which featured Mara Jade, for all of it's problems once you got the flow of it it was fun as hell......

If you enjoy those books, it shouldn't matter either way how LucasArts or Disney perceive SW canon. They won't be pointing a gun at your head, forcing to disavow their existence after all.

I'm fairly sure plenty of people will feel that way really, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the EU post-ROTJ.

Yet you like the Thrawn story, which not only had clones, clones everywhere, but named them the same as the original just adding an extra vowel in their first name?

Selective memory. ;)

To me, the stories were not far apart, and Luke's perilous trip to the Dark Side (redeemed by his sister) was pretty inspired.

Thrawn had some good stuff in it, but wasn't nearly as action/adventure/humorous as the OT.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. The Thrawn character was amazing, the story, not so much. The concept of a rogue Imperial Admiral that projects the greater elements of the Empire(discipline, order, security and safety), while dumping the crazy 'kill everything' mentality is a great antagonist for the Republic's heroes.

The fact that he's a Chiss Admiral in a human-centric Empire is only icing on the cake.

I fully expect to see Grand Admiral Thrawn in the next movies, but I don't doubt that they'll jettison much of the surrounding story. Force-canceling weasels? Jedi clones? Pass.

but... but... but, the Star Wars Universe needs Mara... she's the most capable, yet complex Female Lead in the Star Wars Universe, before her most were rather 2 dimensional with the exception of Leia and Aayla Secura (another favorite character of mine)... these 3 were multi faceted gems that shined in the Star Wars Universe... there are a few more leads like this now but, none stick in my mind like they do...

oh and i agree with Infernixx about Thrawn... Zhan did give us some multi-layered characters...

gawd now i wanna read them again...

Edited by Elly_Dawn