It's your fault if you're on a PvE server and you get yourself flagged.

Reno_Tarshil

Topic is now about how people are getting inadvertantly flagged and how to avoid them. (Note this only applies to crowded areas like the Rakghoul caves and such. Open Planets for leveling are fine as you're likely to just run into players wanting to level.)

Possible Causes

AOE - Doesn't seem to be the issue given several member's experiences and tests, but may be ona case by case basis.

Auto Target, Tab Target, Ability spam - It's possible while you're out killing stuff the game will lock you on to the nearest attackable thing and if your fingers are heavy like mine you'll accidently auto shoot/swing it.

Companions - Some users are thinking their companions AOE are to blame. All very possible.

How to avoid it:

1.) If it's AOE related, then you should AOE's at your own risk, note the mobs die fairly easily here so you shouldn't worry about AOEing unless you really want too.

2.) If it's single target related, this is just a matter of being careful to not let your fingers push your keyboard too hard while fighting and paying attention to what you have targeted.

3.) If it's companion related, then it's likely a bug and should reported, but you'll have to be extra careful.

Now you're free to ignore all this and pretend to be Too cool for School if you wish but if you get flagged than it's all on you.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct to a degree. When accidental AoE-related PvP flagging got patched away but then later re-introduced without being announced as an intended "feature" people are rightfully upset about it though. Just like any other annoying bug. The fact that you can work around something doesn't neccessarily mean it isn't bad.

I am not pissed about world pvp. I like quests and spontaneous combat but what's pissing me off about (this is obviously about Rakghoul tunnels...) is that both Empire and Republic players are representing and acting on behalf of THORN down there... Not their respective factions. How does THORN tolerate its own members killing off one another and losing more and more of its emergency responders to other emergency responders, rather than rakghouls. It's plain stupid lore-wise. There is no official Republic/Empire presence in the tunnels. Just THORN. They should make a separate pvp quest (like the pillar) somewhere outside of the tunnels, still related to rakghouls. Tunnels are a wasted opportunity to actually design and implement some system where players from both factions can work together, as they should. Both are working for THORN and are meant to fight Rakghouls. Edited by Alec_Fortescue

And just to spite them I log on my jugg and headhunt them.

Oh, spite....

A PvP-er who gives one a flag by running into an AE during PvE-quests is a little like a suddenly spawning champion add with unlimited aggro range, that refuses to stay in CC. Certainly annoying and if it were indeed a mob a sign of frustratingly bad game design.

Well, if your goal is to be just that, a very annoying person, there is not much that can be done about it, although I would advise to extend your hobby into real life, where the consequences of such behavior are more worthy of your skill in being a pain in the ***.

Edited by drakensang

Learn to pay attention to your surroundings, otherwise you have no one but yourself to blame for failing.

Scenario: I'm entering the infested tunnels, with no other players to be seen. I attack a rakghoul and activate XS Freighter Flyby to get the ones that spawn. Shortly after the attack activates, a flagged opposing faction player uncloaks and runs into it, gets damaged and gets me flagged. Was it my fault for not paying attention? Should I refrain from using AoE attacks altogether out of fear of cloaked players?

Note: This scenario didn't actually happen. I've never gotten flagged due to AoE damage. I don't whine about being flagged, just wanted to present a scenario where paying attention isn't enough.

I have done the dailies on two different characters as a 22 Guardian and as a 25 Sniper and I did not once get flagged or ganked.

Learn to pay attention to your surroundings, otherwise you have no one but yourself to blame for failing.

Yeah, all those fools who don't notice the stealthed enemy running into their AOE's are just chumps...

Scenario: I'm entering the infested tunnels, with no other players to be seen. I attack a rakghoul and activate XS Freighter Flyby to get the ones that spawn. Shortly after the attack activates, a flagged opposing faction player uncloaks and runs into it, gets damaged and gets me flagged. Was it my fault for not paying attention? Should I refrain from using AoE attacks altogether out of fear of cloaked players?

Note: This scenario didn't actually happen. I've never gotten flagged due to AoE damage. I don't whine about being flagged, just wanted to present a scenario where paying attention isn't enough.

It's still your fault for knowingly using an AOE attack given the potential risks.

The problem is that griefers will cloak and hang about in the hope they get hit by Area Attacks, and some will follow behind you where you can't see them (yes you see them when you fight and move around, but noy before)

I know a lot of people say just don't use area attacks, but area attacks (AOE Attacks) are part of our arsenal of abilities, and it doesn't make sense to limit our options because EA/Bioware won't fix this issue permanently.

I've started a thread asking them to allow us to disable the PVP flag in preferences, which would solve it I think, please add your support if you agree.

Edited by AlexDougherty

I have done the dailies on two different characters as a 22 Guardian and as a 25 Sniper and I did not once get flagged or ganked.

<all the facepalms ever>

The problem is that griefers will cloak and hang about in the hope they get hit by Area Attacks, and some will follow behind you where you can't see them (yes you see them when you fight and move around, but noy before)

I know a lot of people say just don't use area attacks, but area attacks (AOE Attacks) are part of our arsenal of abilities, and it doesn't make sense to limit our options because EA/Bioware won't fix this issue permanently.

I've started a thread asking them to allow us to disable the PVP flag in preferences, which would solve it I think, please add your support if you agree.

But there really isn't a need to use Area attacks in this area, most of the mobs die easily to basic single target attacks.

But there really isn't a need to use Area attacks in this area, most of the mobs die easily to basic single target attacks.

There is even less need for the bug to exist in the first place.

Edited by slafko

Yeah I would facepalm too if I got shown up by a Level 22 and 25.

No, you wouldn't.

You'd start bashing your keyboard, throw your mouse to the wall and cry like a spoiled brat.

xoxo

Edited by slafko

Obviously a troll if you're trying to say the PvE'ers are at fault for PvP flagged losers purposely getting them flagged.

"Oh you've got an ability that kills multiple enemies and there's heaps of those here? F**k you, don't use them, if you're an Engineer Gunslinger well sucks to be you". Yeah, great logic there Sherlock. Why the hell should PvE'ers PvE gameplay be dictated by PVP PLAYERS?!

Why don't you just fight with the level one abilities while you're at it, go back to your Tython/Ord Mantell roots.

Stop making excuses for griefers, though by this point defending them only suggests you're actually one of them.

Edited by Transairion

Obviously a troll if you're trying to say the PvE'ers are at fault for PvP flagged losers purposely getting them flagged.

"Oh you've got an ability that kills multiple enemies and there's heaps of those here? F**k you, don't use them, if you're an Engineer Gunslinger well sucks to be you". Yeah, great logic there Sherlock. Why the hell should PvE'ers PvE gameplay be dictated by PVP PLAYERS?!

Why don't you just fight with the level one abilities while you're at it, go back to your Tython/Ord Mantell roots.

Stop making excuses for griefers, though by this point defending them only suggests you're actually one of them.

I can tell you didn't read what I said. Who am I going to grief with a Level 22 Guardian and Level 25 Sniper in a cave full of 55's?

Again you don't need to use your AOE's on these mobs anyways they die pretty easily to basic single target attacks. Play smarter and you won't get flagged. No one to blame but yourself if you get flagged because you wanted to AOE.

I can tell you didn't read what I said. Who am I going to grief with a Level 22 Guardian and Level 25 Sniper in a cave full of 55's?

Again you don't need to use your AOE's on these mobs anyways they die pretty easily to basic single target attacks. Play smarter and you won't get flagged. No one to blame but yourself if you get flagged because you wanted to AOE

Yeah, like you've been trawling the forums this long and only have two sub-30 characters? I find that hard to believe.

I've never been flagged, ever from AOE, but I know people have been. And no, I'm pretty sure you don't spam your level 1 ability against gold and champion mobs now do you (oh wait, if you're sub-30 you won't ever fight a champion because they're 50 minimum). AOE is an integral part of certain kits so you can't just tell people not to use them, especially not during a PVE EVENT on a PVE SERVER against PVE OPPONENTS.

Hell why not just roll a Jedi Sentinel and tell them not to use their lightsabers? Just use the force, you've got that too right!

Nobody who gets flagged and whines about is just dumping AOE's on opponents either, flagged opponents are running into it and the crummy Flag system is the only reason anything happens in this situation at all.

I use area attacks if mobs are killing my companion, or as an interrupt on tough bosses, and it can be enough to save me from a respawn. Also people are getting others flagged everywhere, not just in specific areas, and in some places area attacks are a good tactic.

I agree that most of the time mobs can easily be killed without using an area attack, but the way things are going you won't be able to use them anywhere, which is just plain wrong. I'm not saying people shouldn't pay attention, just that paying attention alone is not enough, some of the griefers are sly cunning little <insert appropriate insult here>.

Again you don't need to use your AOE's on these mobs anyways they die pretty easily to basic single target attacks. Play smarter and you won't get flagged. No one to blame but yourself if you get flagged because you wanted to AOE.

You are right, that you do not HAVE to use AOE attacks, but I guess you would agree, that AOE attacks are meant to be used on multiple mob spawns.

So in essence you are saying "you can avoid getting flagged, if you are not using your full potential"... well, true... if you want to really be safe, you could just not enter the tunnels, or not leave fleet at all or not even log on. All of those measures would prevent me from flagging intentionally and all of those measures are beside the point.

Other players are indeed trying to get people flagged, even though they do not intent to damage them in any way. The AOE attacks that are leading to flagging are used with the intention to kill the rakghouls without harming any player char... and instead of avoiding damage, the supposed enemies are intentionally running into AOE attacks, cause they want to take damage.

So as bottom line...

yes, PvE-players can avoid to get flagged by paying attention.

no, PvP-players should not be able to make other players flag unintentional.

Consent cannot be "involuntary".

You are right, that you do not HAVE to use AOE attacks, but I guess you would agree, that AOE attacks are meant to be used on multiple mob spawns.

So in essence you are saying "you can avoid getting flagged, if you are not using your full potential"... well, true... if you want to really be safe, you could just not enter the tunnels, or not leave fleet at all or not even log on. All of those measures would prevent me from flagging intentionally and all of those measures are beside the point.

Other players are indeed trying to get people flagged, even though they do not intent to damage them in any way. The AOE attacks that are leading to flagging are used with the intention to kill the rakghouls without harming any player char... and instead of avoiding damage, the supposed enemies are intentionally running into AOE attacks, cause they want to take damage.

So as bottom line...

yes, PvE-players can avoid to get flagged by paying attention.

no, PvP-players should not be able to make other players flag unintentional.

Consent cannot be "involuntary".

Here's the kicker. If you read what I said, than you would understand that these mobs are so fragile that you don't need to use your full potential to kill them. But if for some reason you are having trouble killing them then that's a whole other issue.

I use area attacks if mobs are killing my companion, or as an interrupt on tough bosses, and it can be enough to save me from a respawn. Also people are getting others flagged everywhere, not just in specific areas, and in some places area attacks are a good tactic.

I agree that most of the time mobs can easily be killed without using an area attack, but the way things are going you won't be able to use them anywhere, which is just plain wrong. I'm not saying people shouldn't pay attention, just that paying attention alone is not enough, some of the griefers are sly cunning little <insert appropriate insult here>.

I'm not saying you can't use AOE attacks, by all means go ahead but if you do so willingly inside an area you know is littered with people who can flag you in an instant than that's all on you.

Here's the kicker. If you read what I said, than you would understand that these mobs are so fragile that you don't need to use your full potential to kill them. But if for some reason you are having trouble killing them then that's a whole other issue.

Perhaps if you had a character higher than level 30, you be able to fight the stronger mobs to start with, the ones that can't be beat by sneezing on them. Cause you know, you're basically fighting all the lowest-tier-in-the-game Rakghouls, silver mobs occasionally.

Try and fight Tunnel Lurker solo/in a pair without your "full potential" and see how far that gets you. Cause sure, gimp yourself by not using AOE's cause you might get flagged! Engineer Gunslinger's top Skill Tree ability is AOE, better not use it.

Edited by Transairion