The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Disparity of Rare and Super Rare Items and Value For Money.

So, for a bit of fun at the weekend, I bought two bundles of Cartel Packs, which gave a total of 48 Cartel Packs.

Whilst it was great fun opening all the boxes, I noticed one or two things which made me question the 'fairness' of the items included in the packs.

Banners, Belts and Bracers.

Yup, for some reason, Banners, Belts and Bracers seem to be far more common than other items. Yes, I am aware of the mathematical rules of probability and 48 isn't ideal for extrapolating results. However, the amount of these items I received make me feel as I've been misled on what counts as RARE and SUPER RARE.

It would appear to me, that Belts and Bracers are about three - four times more common than Helmets and Chestplates.

As for the Banners Issue, they seem to appear in one of every three packs. They're a somewhat pointless items as, after you've received both types of banner, the rest have no worth in the GTN. You can't even give them away as most people already have them

So. Whilst I found most items of some use (crafting and gifts are a solid, if unexciting addition), I was frankly insulted with the abundance of Belts and Bracers compared to Helmets and Chestpieces.

Is it possible that some items that share the same level of rarity actually have a lesser chance of dropping that other items of that rarity? It would appear so, and if that is indeed the case, then surely, the rarity classification of those items is intentionally misleading.

Edited by Cobalt_Stargazer

It's not necessarily misleading as it is a misnomer of sorts. The 'rare' items listed in the description are only rare because they don't exist in the game outside of cartel packs. Of course that makes some items like the banner an extremely common drop - and especially since it was an unpopular one and brought back in EACH and every pack of shipment One didn't help. Look at the Ubrikki Sand Devil and Crimson Claw, both of which went as low as 2000 credits on the Harbinger when the packs were still available.

It's just a pool, a list of items and each pack gets two rolls. Shipment one had notoriously bad pools though, polluted with banners and of course the belt/bracers issue - made worse by the fact that the outfits of shipment one changed and now included 'classic' as well as regular versions, all of which had - you guessed it- belts and bracers. Do that doubled up the pool. The Space Pirate pack suffers from this the worst, although it's also the only pack which will yield Revan's aux gear, the sash and gloves.

Edited by ghoul_drool