A simple question about armor from a simple trooper

JEDIDUBB

You level 50's out there, probably get this question a million times. I watched the tutorials, I watched clips on youtube, and now I am on the floor of the courts asking for mercy. How do I upgrade my armor for my trooper? I am currently a level 15 trooper (don't laugh). I go into a fight with adequate weapons and friends, but it seems like it only takes 1 or 2 hits and I'm done. Do I need a vendor or can I upgrade without one? Do I have to be at a marketplace to accomplish this, like the central spaceport or the marketplace on Coruscant? Is there a website with a step by step? Or a video clip out there? Any advice will help. JEDIDUBB over and out. :confused:

You level 50's out there, probably get this question a million times. I watched the tutorials, I watched clips on youtube, and now I am on the floor of the courts asking for mercy. How do I upgrade my armor for my trooper? I am currently a level 15 trooper (don't laugh). I go into a fight with adequate weapons and friends, but it seems like it only takes 1 or 2 hits and I'm done. Do I need a vendor or can I upgrade without one? Do I have to be at a marketplace to accomplish this, like the central spaceport or the marketplace on Coruscant? Is there a website with a step by step? Or a video clip out there? Any advice will help. JEDIDUBB over and out. :confused:

There are a number of ways to upgrade your armor:

Quest Rewards: As you level and do quests, you will receive quest rewards. Some will be armor pieces, others weapons and yet others will be weapons and off-hand items. Some of these quest rewards will be "Orange" items that are customizable by switching out their components (armorings/hilt/barrel, mods, enhancements) for new and better ones.

Commendations: Some quests will offer you the choice of choosing Planetary Commendations as the reward. These Planetary Commendations can be exchanged for items at the Planetary Commendations vendors (these are present on every planet and also in the Supplies Section of the fleet (where you will find ALL of the planets represented)). The items that can be purchased vary from modifications (that can be plugged into weapons/armor) to actual items (weapons and armor).

Speciality Vendors: These vendors exist on all the planets. They sell a variety of gear that can be purchased by using in-game credits and, in some cases, Planetary Commendations.

Galactic Trade Network (GTN): This is the player market. You can find GTN terminals on the Fleet, Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa (there is also a little known one in the open-PvP area on Tattoine). At these terminals you can acquire, for in-game credits, armor and weapons being sold by other players. (TIP: If using this route only acquire "Orange" items that you can upgrade as you level.)

A note about the "Orange" gear. This gear that can be modified at will and will allow you to keep the same look all the way up to end game and beyond. Some of this gear will come fully modded but others will be "empty shells" in that they contain no mods and need to be modded so that they can be effectively used. An exemple of this is the weapon you received on your starter planet as part of your class story. You should have received that weapon with only the Barrel equipped and a follow up quest that explained how you could plug in the Mod (that was provided with the weapon) using a Modification Station. When completing that quest you would have received an Enhancement that you could plug into the weapon as well. You DO NOT need to use a Modification Station to modify your gear though; if you look at the tooltip for modifiable items it will indicate that you can modify it by CTRL+Right-clicking the item.

This is a rough-and-ready guide. With time and practice it will all make sense and become second nature to you.

Have fun!

Um, first character?

As a trooper, your primary stat is Aim. Anything that improves Aim is good. If it improves strength, willpower, cunning, don't keep it. Even your companions use Aim.

You want heavy armor, with Aim as the biggest stat. At your level, nothing else matters. Sometimes mobs drop gear. Sometimes you get it for completing quests. If it's not at least green, it's useless. You ideally want blues or higher while levelling, but that's not always an option.

If you're really into modification, and can understand the system (being such a new player), get yourself some "Orange" gear. You can then mix/match the components by holding ctrl+right clicking on it. The modifications, enhancements, and armorings are available from commendation vendors or on the GTN.

Apart from gear, some strategy could help as well.

Use the "~" key (left of the 1 key) to open your companion's ability menu. You can order Jorgen, or any companion, to attack first and thus become the main target of that mob. This frees you to destroy the mobs with less pain.

I'm going to assume that you went the Commando route. If so, you should be able to heal your companion a bit.

Attacks that temporarily prevent a target from attacking you really help. You start with Explosive round and that will knock-down a low-power target for a few seconds. Target a second mob and blast it with your basic attack. Target the first mob again and hit it with another Explosive round, knocking it down again. Retarget the second mob and blast it with basic attack again. This will effectively keep 1 mob from being able to attack you and allows you to pin down 2 mobs.

Cyro Grenade locks down a target for a little longer. Of course, try to use Mortar volley or the other aoe (area of effect) attacks on clusters of low-powered mobs. Tougher mobs will have a silver or gold star by their name. It can make fighting a silver or gold mob easier if you take out any low-power mobs they might have with them. Silver or Gold mobs will not be knocked-down by Explosive Round but can be locked out with Cryo Grenade for a few seconds.

Something that I like to do: Explosive Round target 1. Sticky Grenade target 2. Full Auto target 3. Explosive Round target 1. Hammer Shot target 2. If I'm close enough try to finish all 3 with the close ranged Plasma Discharge (wrong name) power or use Stockstrike on a target.

Edited by rlafferty