The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Possible Future of The Old Republic

Lexandrous

There is a lot of references from the the Movies episode 1 - 6 in Star Wars the Old Republic.

I was wondering if SWTOR and any future expansions will be influenced by the coming movies in 2015.

or if it would be pre-Disney.

I haven't read every thread on the forums so they could be one similar to this thread.

I know its early days yet with patch 2.6 on the way.

But could any Bioware employees weigh in.

There is a lot of references from the the Movies episode 1 - 6 in Star Wars the Old Republic.

I was wondering if SWTOR and any future expansions will be influenced by the coming movies in 2015.

I haven't read every thread on the forums so they could be one similar to this thread.

They would be foolish not to do an expansion around the time the first movie comes out. It's massive free advertizement and the people who think advertizement matters on this day and age will jump on the chance.

I do expect the biggest content updates to coincide with major star wars media in other areas.

Edited by Lithy

I get that the free advertising will be great.

But if the Disney Star Wars don't hit off then Swtor risk chaining itself to a sinking ship.

Doesn't hit off? The bar is so low after the last trilogy that they would have to intentionally make terrible movies to do any worse. There are too many fans that will eat up anything with a SW logo on it.

I don't believe there will be any content influenced by the upcoming movies. You need to remember that SWTOR is THE OLD REPUBLIC. If you follow Star Wars especially the Expanded Universe, the Old Republic takes place thousand of years prior to the current episodes. Luke and gang were not even a glimmer in anyones eyes during this time period. If SWTOR went with current movies influences then they might as well re-name the game.

I don't believe there will be any content influenced by the upcoming movies. You need to remember that SWTOR is THE OLD REPUBLIC. If you follow Star Wars especially the Expanded Universe, the Old Republic takes place thousand of years prior to the current episodes. Luke and gang were not even a glimmer in anyones eyes during this time period. If SWTOR went with current movies influences then they might as well re-name the game.

If anything, one thing they might do is make story content in SWTOR that somehow plays into the new films, similar to how Lucasfilm concurrently had John Jackson Miller write the Lost Tribe of the Sith series while Allston, Denning and Golden wrote Fate of the Jedi and the writers of Clone Wars were incorporating lore about Mortis and the Ones into the episodes at the time.

The big fear I have about that is if they're going to do that, each story needs to be its own full story and not feel like part of a whole. That's something the prequels suffered: for those who only watched the films and ignored all the Clone Wars material that was published during that three-year period, several things in Episode III that were meant to be important or well-established (Grievous's role in the war, Anakin and Obi-Wan's close bond, Anakin's impatience with the Jedi and close friendship with Palpatine, all the other Jedi Knights and Masters fighting in the war, etc.) just seemed to come out of nowhere for them, thus making it hard for them to care.

I understand your point and do not disagree with it.

However they are things in The Old Republic taken from and influenced by past movies.

An example is the Meditation Chamber.

(watch up to 0:40)

The advantage of "from the makers of....." Type of advertising is that you already have a pre-made fan base.

However you have to make your own product or you run the risk of losing them.

When you think about it the bulk of players that are playing SWTOR have come from KOTOR.

Edited by Lexandrous
not enough information

I think SWTOR should stay separate from movies because to my knowledge theres loooooong time between The Old Republic and movie Star Wars ( between episode V: New Hope and SWTOR theres about 3600 years between them from what i know)

Future movies probably get some references in game at some point but i wish that only thing they get and that Disney doesnt start messing with SWTOR development, i think developers are doing good job, some room to improvement there is like always but i hope SWTOR does continue going same road its on now.

Also its episodes 1-3 andd 5-7 :D

I get that the free advertising will be great.

But if the Disney Star Wars don't hit off then Swtor risk chaining itself to a sinking ship.

Disney isn't stupid. They bought the rights of Star Wars for a crapload of money, you think they'd mess it up? No, they're gonna do their absolute best to make it work. They know that if they don't do well Disney will always be known as "The Star Wars Killer" and lose more than you can imagine.

Disney isn't stupid. They bought the rights of Star Wars for a crapload of money, you think they'd mess it up? No, they're gonna do their absolute best to make it work. They know that if they don't do well Disney will always be known as "The Star Wars Killer" and lose more than you can imagine.

Well theres actually big change that they screw it up because Star Wars has very strong fan base and if old Star Wars fans dont like what Disney makes they have killed Star Wars and this has been seen in lot of movies like Indiana Jones, they go and slap fancy special effects and on Star Wars they probably slap on it some fancy 3D tech and making the movie will cost ton just because of special effects and 3D tech but the movies story and characters are left on the background and then movie fails.

Yes , 3D is very fancy and awesome ( that was sarcasm) but its nothing new and lots of people dont like it and special effects on original Star Wars movies were best of its time but the had very good balance between special effects and story so they did fit together well and they had very good actors and other people making the movie.

So Disney has everything to make good Star Wars movie but making new Star Wars movie carries big risks.

Well theres actually big change that they screw it up because Star Wars has very strong fan base and if old Star Wars fans dont like what Disney makes they have killed Star Wars and this has been seen in lot of movies like Indiana Jones, they go and slap fancy special effects and on Star Wars they probably slap on it some fancy 3D tech and making the movie will cost ton just because of special effects and 3D tech but the movies story and characters are left on the background and then movie fails.

I'm sorry, I had a hard time understanding that. It was one big sentence and I couldn't make out even the beginning. You said there's a big change and never said what it was. (also the rest of the post)

Hoping the Sith are able to rise up to their full potential again like in the initial invasion. This time around they are able to push and hold some Core worlds. Also would like to see them experiment more with lesser known species with the Dark side. Possible Sith Spawn armies to help them swell their ranks!

Interesting point you made.

Though comparing Lucas Arts and Disney is like comparing Toyota and Mr Kiplin (makes really good cakes).

Both have their own specialty and stick to what their good at.

Though one would be worried if you find out your car was made by a cake baker.

Yeah. It could be said that both have made movies.

But there is very different history and fan bases for both.

So only time will tell if they can pull it off as fans would let them know if they sink or swim.

I am willing to bet that Accounts will be made , game will pack up , and Bioware will cash in on these new movies .

While SWTOR is good in some minds , bad in others (I personally love the game) , I am willing to bet that "The Old Republic" lore will be mentioned in a movie or so on .

How great of a mention could be so little to not be noticed or good enough to spark more interest in this game .

I mean Disney is now apart of this game in minor form or so , so we could see something happen to help promote the new Movies , Comics , and other sources Disney will have these Companies Push out to make money off their Rather Large investment .

But to be honest , we are all going to have to just stay tuned to find out . :)

May the Force be with us all on this .

Edited by mefit

I just hope that Bioware will be able to stand up on their own feet regardless if the 2015 sinks or swims.

Yeah one could argue that with Swtor they began with a pre-made fan base from Star Wars and Kotor.

But has brought in plenty new people to the game and is still fun to play.

So could just take a wait and see approach.