PVPers in Non-PvP area

RPetrelli

I ask this question with humility and respect for all opinions given. Tha and because I really don't enjoy trying to complete my dailies and then running into a pvper in a non pvp area that will kill you while you are trying to fight the NPCs for dailies and then camp on your dead body until you respawn and then just kill you again before you can get a single attack off.

OK, so, I know with expertise rating, it goes to make you better at pvp, but I suppose my question is:

Q: If you were to gear fully for Expertise, would you still have enough power to complete your dailies with relative ease while in turn being able to deal with the occasional "I am only here to ruin this game and this day for people by killing them over and over again when they don't want me to because truely at heart I really am a bad person and probably had an even worse childhood growing up so I am going to take my hatred out on anyone that corsses my path" types of players?

Also, Q: does your pvp flag automatically activate when you enter an area? Because I have never manually activated my pvp flag but seem to always get attacked by other players.

RELATED:

Q: Is Expertise better to gear for then any main stat for a class? Or is that only the case when you are only interested in PvP? Does it make you strong in the story against NPCs or just other players?

Q: Are there Expertise armorings, mods, enhancements, and augments? Or just crystals?

Edited by RPetrelli

First question, probably not, it replaces stats you probably need, and you can't mix it up, because the game messes up the stat if you do.

Second Question, only if it's a pvp area (or enemy base), otherwise it's because you click on the symbol, or attack them (usually area attacks)

Third question, it's for PVP only.

Fourth question, yes, there are mods and enhancements with expertise on them.

Ps. report the grieving sod if they do it again, it's taking advantage of a known weakness and harrassment, so report anyone you see doing it.

Edited by AlexDougherty

Are you on a pvp server?

If not you are probably running into the AOE exploiters so try and clear mobs without aoe if you are worried.

In pvp gear you might not be able to clear Oricon without a companion but you should have no trouble with most solo content if you have a good companion and know your class.

I ask this question with humility and respect for all opinions given. Tha and because I really don't enjoy trying to complete my dailies and then running into a pvper in a non pvp area that will kill you while you are trying to fight the NPCs for dailies and then camp on your dead body until you respawn and then just kill you again before you can get a single attack off.

Also, Q: does your pvp flag automatically activate when you enter an area? Because I have never manually activated my pvp flag but seem to always get attacked by other players.

You get a PvP flag if you enter a PvP area (Outlaw's Den, Gree PvP area) or the opposing faction's territory (most commonly found around outposts and medcenters. There's a 10 second countdown before the flag actually activates, allowing you to turn around and get out of the area.

You also get a PvP flag if you interact with a flagged player, whether attacking or helping them. In this case the flag comes on instantly.

If you're on a PvE server, the easy way to get rid of the harassing player is to respawn at the medcenter, wait five minutes for the flag to wear off and then avoid the areas and actions that give you a PvP flag. If you're on a PvP server, it's your own fault and you'll need to either live with it or transfer to another server.

First question, probably not, it replaces stats you probably need, and you can't mix it up, because the game messes up the stat if you do.

Second Question, only if it's a pvp area (or enemy base), otherwise it's because you click on the symbol, or attack them (usually area attacks)

Third question, it's for PVP only.

Fourth question, yes, there are mods and enhancements with expertise on them.

Ps. report the grieving sod if they do it again, it's taking advantage of a known weakness and harrassment, so report anyone you see doing it.

OK so I am on an RP server but flag or not, people claim "well if you didn't want to PvP then you shouldn't have activated your PvP flag" but I didn't activate anything. I would never want to PvP unless I were in a Warzone. I will ask once nicely for people not to attack me while I am trying to complete my dailies, and then I will report them for harassment after that. Personally I think it should be in the RoC that if you attack someone who is made it clear (pvp or not) that they have no desire and are linked to doing so, you should be either indefinitely banned or at least suspended from them game.

Edited by RPetrelli

OK so I am on an RP server but flag or not, people claim "well if you didn't want to PvP then you shouldn't have activated your PvP flag" but I didn't activate anything

Jung Ma is an RP server. It's also a PvP server. Is that your server?

If you get flagged, you activated is somehow, even if it was by being "tricked" into attacking a flagged player with an AoE.

I would never want to PvP unless I were in a Warzone. I will ask once nicely for people not to attack me while I am trying to complete my dailies, and then I will report them for harassment after that. Personally I think it should be in the RoC that if you attack someone who is made it clear (pvp or not) that they have no desire and are linked to doing so, you should be either indefinitely banned or at least suspended from them game.

If you're flagged for PvP, you're fair game. End of story. The should do something like other games have done and flag gankers who kill players 5 or more levels below them with a yellow stripe down their back or something, though.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Jung Ma is an RP server. It's also a PvP server. Is that your server?

If you get flagged, you activated is somehow, even if it was by being "tricked" into attacking a flagged player with an AoE.

If you're flagged for PvP, you're fair game. End of story. The should do something like other games have done and flag gankers who kill players 5 or more levels below them with a yellow stripe down their back or something, though.

Bergen Colony

OK so I am on an RP server but flag or not, people claim "well if you didn't want to PvP then you shouldn't have activated your PvP flag" but I didn't activate anything.

Yes, what happens is that they stay close to you, you use an area attack on NPCs and accidently hit them, which ativates the flag.

As I said Report them for grieving, it's a known issue and one they need to fix quickly.

With all of this being said, would it be worth it to make a suit of armor specifically stat geared towards expertise while keeping my regular armor for storyline?

Probably not. You likely don't know how to use your abilities in PvP, and an equally geared player would destroy you anyway. It might take a little bit longer, but the end result would be the same.

Could it be that your flag got accidentally turned on at some point in the past, and due to whatever reason it hasn't turned off? Do you actually have the PvP flag icon by your portrait? If so, try going to a medcenter and manually toggling the flag. Be mindful of what the game says in the chat log - if the game recognizes you as having an automatic flag, the first manual toggle will actually turn it on and you'll need a second toggle to turn it off. After five minutes you should get a message along the lines of "You are no longer flagged for PvP", by which you'll know that the flag is gone.

If you're certain you didn't have a flag behore you were attacked, then the attacker was likely using an exploit to get you flagged. In that case you can report them for harassment.

OK so I am on an RP server but flag or not, people claim "well if you didn't want to PvP then you shouldn't have activated your PvP flag" but I didn't activate anything. I would never want to PvP unless I were in a Warzone. I will ask once nicely for people not to attack me while I am trying to complete my dailies, and then I will report them for harassment after that. Personally I think it should be in the RoC that if you attack someone who is made it clear (pvp or not) that they have no desire and are linked to doing so, you should be either indefinitely banned or at least suspended from them game.

I've found there are Empire and Republic specific areas of the map (if you were going for map completion like I do at any rate) that you can enter that will flag you. I've also noticed they do not come off in time unless you activate and then de-activate it. It could be this kind of thing is what you're running into if you're an explorer type. You aren't specifically activating the flag but when you go into those opposite home areas it will do so.

Probably not. You likely don't know how to use your abilities in PvP, and an equally geared player would destroy you anyway. It might take a little bit longer, but the end result would be the same.

Could it be that your flag got accidentally turned on at some point in the past, and due to whatever reason it hasn't turned off? Do you actually have the PvP flag icon by your portrait? If so, try going to a medcenter and manually toggling the flag. Be mindful of what the game says in the chat log - if the game recognizes you as having an automatic flag, the first manual toggle will actually turn it on and you'll need a second toggle to turn it off. After five minutes you should get a message along the lines of "You are no longer flagged for PvP", by which you'll know that the flag is gone.

If you're certain you didn't have a flag behore you were attacked, then the attacker was likely using an exploit to get you flagged. In that case you can report them for harassment.

Make no mistake: Other than for the reason of getting what comms are required for good gear, I have ABSOLUTELY NO interest in PvP. You are right, there are people who are way better in PvP than me. The other reason that I that I want to get better at PvP (other than the previously listed reason) is to see justice be done upon all those who would enter into the game with the specific intent of either hurting others or ruining the game for others. I know most of you reading this don;t take this very seriously but cyber-bullying has led to the suicide of many innocent people and is increasing in frequency. I am interested in seeing the people who think they can get away with hurting others stopped, indefinitely.

Make no mistake: Other than for the reason of getting what comms are required for good gear, I have ABSOLUTELY NO interest in PvP. You are right, there are people who are way better in PvP than me. The other reason that I that I want to get better at PvP (other than the previously listed reason) is to see justice be done upon all those who would enter into the game with the specific intent of either hurting others or ruining the game for others. I know most of you reading this don;t take this very seriously but cyber-bullying has led to the suicide of many innocent people and is increasing in frequency. I am interested in seeing the people who think they can get away with hurting others stopped, indefinitely.

It is more ignorance on your part of the mechanics than some kind of cyber-bullying (that term really doesn't apply to PVP in an MMO). Just periodically look down by your avatar profile and check to see if you got flagged, if you're not doing it purposely. You can set it to turn itself off unless you're traipsing through opposite faction controlled lands.

Q: If you were to gear fully for Expertise, would you still have enough power to complete your dailies with relative ease while in turn being able to deal with the occasional "I am only here to ruin this game and this day for people by killing them over and over again when they don't want me to because truely at heart I really am a bad person and probably had an even worse childhood growing up so I am going to take my hatred out on anyone that corsses my path" types of players?

Yes. With Conqueror and a few Obroan pieces (fully augmented), I am able to solo the Oricon weekly, Makeb, GSI, etc as a Sorc. It won't be as min-maxed as a comparable PvE set, but it's definitely more than sufficient for dailies. It probably would not be good for Ops and the highest-level heroics, however (disclaimer: I do not PvE)

However, as others have said, if you don't really PvP, you'll still likely get destroyed by someone who does it on a regular basis, even if you're equally geared or you outgear them somewhat. Knowing when to use interrupts, cc breaks, and whatnot are just as important as the gear, and not all PvE specs are great against PvPers (and vice-versa, of course). Fighting players requires a different skillset than fighting monsters (I'd argue being skilled in PvP can make you a better PvE player as well, but that's just my opinion).

IIRC, the only place that auto-flags you is the Outlaw's Den on Tattooine. I think you'll also flag if you buff or heal a flagged member of your faction (and of course if you attack an opposing member that is flagged), but I can't remember the specifics.

Q: Is Expertise better to gear for then any main stat for a class? Or is that only the case when you are only interested in PvP? Does it make you strong in the story against NPCs or just other players?

Expertise has no effect outside of PvP. As I mentioned before, PvE gear is always better-suited for PvE content, but the PvP gear is more than powerful enough to handle non-instanced stuff.

Q: Are there Expertise armorings, mods, enhancements, and augments? Or just crystals?

I do not believe there are any augments; however, you can buy the rest of that stuff from PvP vendors. You'll need rank and commendations to purchase them, however, and it's just far easier (and cheaper) to purchase the PvP sets than try to spend commendations on buying separate pieces and trying to build a set on your own.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Zygran

Why not just wait for the PVP flag to time out if you are having that much trouble? Take a bathroom break, grab a drink and snack, and before you know it, the flag is gone. I usually don't do that on BC and I usually don't even get attacked if I'm flagged. Edited by Nickious

if you dont like it return to the medcenter and log out, imho.

Well, your humble opinion is kinda worthless if he's being hounded by griefers, no?

To the OP: You may consider getting a guild if you don't have one and asking for guildmate assistance. I spent most of my Gree event bodyguarding members from gankers.

Is this really that common on an RP server? I mean I leveled 5 characters to 50 and 4 of them to 55 on a PvP server and had a total of maybe a dozen world PvP encounters at least 6 of which I initiated myself.

I just moved all my toons off of the Bastion, it was looking pretty empty.

Sometimes I will be flagged when I leave or warzones or I am in a group mission with someone else that was flagged. Just check and see if your have the red thing. On the plus side you don't lose anything if you die in pvp so it's not a huge deal. As fat as asking people to not attack, kind of silly of your red to them; honestly a lot of people turn off general chat because it's full of bacon talk and it's possible they won't know you asking them to stop. Chat bubbles would Help in this situation, unless they turn those off too lol

Anyway don't get mad, chances are you got flagged by academy and you are the first red players that guy has seen I. A while. It not mean it's just playing

Have you figured out what is causing you to get flagged yet?

I would think once you learn what causes you to get flagged you would learn to avoid it.

You could also just change which instances you are in.

If you were on a PVP server I'd say tough luck you chose this; but on a PVE server its just a matter of figuring out what you are doing wrong and avoiding it. What dailys are you even doing that would constantly make you go somewhere that triggers a PVP flag?

I'm on a PVP server at this point and almost never run into open world PVP, i would think its even easier to avoid on a PVE server

Lol that's not a reportable offense. Open world PvPers are not malicious/trying to ruin your life carebear, it's just fun.

It is if he's playing on a PvE server and the attacker is using an exploit to force his PvP flag to turn on.

I've never understood the supposed "fun" in fighting targets that are clearly incapable or uninterested in fighting back. Maybe you'd care to explain? Do you gain valor or something for ganking players in OWPvP?

Lol that's not a reportable offense. Open world PvPers are not malicious/trying to ruin your life carebear, it's just fun.

The guy is hanging around to kill him when he respawns, read the OP.

That is harrassment, also the guy was hanging around hoping for him to use an area attack (derived from context), this is using an exploit as well as harrassment, both are reportable.

When it is a genuine mistake it's understandable, but it happens far too much, and most open world PVPers who do this are just being jerks. Yes it has happened to me, and the open world PVPer moved on, note that moved on, he didn't stick around and pick on me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.