SDCHunter

Comet Breaker

Strengths: None

Weaknesses: Everything

Quarrel

Strengths: Distortion Field, Ion Cannon, Lightweight Armor, Burst Lasers

Weaknesses: None

----------

The only thing that Comet Breaker has is its missles, which although not enough to list as a Strength, do have a very situational use. High evasion targets with proper timing can eat the missle, but you'd literally have to start the lock immediately after their missle break ends, hope their distortion field break is also down/they don't have it, keep them in line of sight and hope it lands before their engine skill comes back up. Way too much work. Just RNGing their evade with a railgun until it lands is easier.

Comet Breaker is an inferior model in every aspect, sorry OP.

Edited by Drackly

Sadly the previous post is mostly correct... the point of the Comet Breaker is to be a sort of Gunship/Strike fighter hybrid, but since the Strike Fighter is generally sub-par at this stage it makes little sense.

Maybe if something is added that makes Proton Torpedoes an imporrtant weapon, such a game mode requiring attacks against ray-shielded targets (!!!), it might become more useful.

The one special advantage I can think of is that the Comet Breaker can use Heavy Lasers, which are a very nice "long" range blaster with good shield piercing capabilities when properly upgraded... but then again that's what the railgun is for in the first place, so you're better off having a good short ranged weapon instead, like the Quarrel's Burst Lasers.

Personally I like the concept of having a Striker-ish gunship, but the execution just doesn't work... which is likely due to Strike Fighters being sub-par for now.

Edited by Itkovian

Just RNGing their evade with a railgun until it lands is easier.

If you're spending time wasting rail shots to wait for numbers to tick through the DF because your accuracy sucks, you're dead before that shot goes through anyway. Because no one in their right mind that's running an evasion build takes the lock break as their T5 selection. They take that duration stretch that gives them 6 seconds of almost complete impunity to charge headlong at you and blow your gship into so much debris.

If you're spending time wasting rail shots to wait for numbers to tick through the DF because your accuracy sucks, you're dead before that shot goes through anyway. Because no one in their right mind that's running an evasion build takes the lock break as their T5 selection. They take that duration stretch that gives them 6 seconds of almost complete impunity to charge headlong at you and blow your gship into so much debris.

I don't miss. Come to Pot5 to find out.

I tried out the comet breaker the other night and I give it a 3/10 compared to the 9/10 older version.

-no ion

-plasma? (will this be buffed soon I hope)

-no D field

I like the design of the ship and I scored some kills with HLC's, but atm the missles are not touched because why use them when you have a slug?

Maybe against bombers they will shine and I will continue dropping points in mine from time to time

I don't miss. Come to Pot5 to find out.

Everyone misses. The game engine ensures that. The scouts that cry about being one shot normally have a build that makes nearly half of perfectly aimed anythings, railguns included, pass through them to no effect, having thrown away a guaranteed chance at living in exchange for the massive effective health that evasion provides, much higher than a strike fighter when you multiply it out.

Everyone misses. The game engine ensures that. The scouts that cry about being one shot normally have a build that makes nearly half of perfectly aimed anythings, railguns included, pass through them to no effect, having thrown away a guaranteed chance at living in exchange for the massive effective health that evasion provides, much higher than a strike fighter when you multiply it out.

Never mind that they ALSO get to be faster and more maneuverable in the first place. Double Bonus!

Which is really an issue with scouts, not gunships, but yeah. Their health is lower, but their "effective" health is definitely higher than more ships, and that's not even counting DField's active effect.

Never mind that they ALSO get to be faster and more maneuverable in the first place. Double Bonus!

Which is really an issue with scouts, not gunships, but yeah. Their health is lower, but their "effective" health is definitely higher than more ships, and that's not even counting DField's active effect.

in fairness though you CAN spec a pike for evasion. but agreed, the passive evasion bonus from DF is too high.

in fairness though you CAN spec a pike for evasion. but agreed, the passive evasion bonus from DF is too high.

LOL, I wouldn't call it spec'd for evasion.

On my maxed Pike that is the route that I went but you only end up with 15% which is barely more than the other two strike fighers (11% and I don't think it can be increased) and no where near the 41% of my IL-5.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

Basing on how I play my good old Mangler, I don't think I'll take the new one.

Honestly, it feels to me like a strike fighter trying to strap a railgun and go into battle like that.

The Mangler is versatile, and has many tactic against every ships (altough a good scout will rip you to pieces)

But its a ship that can use Ion cannon for very efficient AoE support, stripping everyship of their shields for your allies then use the slug gun to take out any target exposed with one easy shot.

The new gunship would need Strike fighter speed and turning rate to be able to capitalize its new "superior" dogfighting. But bottom light, the gunship doesnt dogfight. And no missiles or fancy lasers will change that.

I'll keep my old one, and not look back much.

LOL, I wouldn't call it spec'd for evasion.

On my maxed Pike that is the route that I went but you only end up with 15% which is barely more than the other two strike fighers (11% and I don't think it can be increased) and no where near the 41% of my IL-5.

I've got 21% evasion on a pike.

which is pretty solid.

The new gunship would need Strike fighter speed and turning rate to be able to capitalize its new "superior" dogfighting. But bottom light, the gunship doesnt dogfight. And no missiles or fancy lasers will change that.

Except the new one isn't meant to be a dogfighter. Stripping it of distortion field and rotational thrusters makes that point pretty clear. It's some kind of heavy weapons platform... except that its other heavy weapons are outclassed by a railgun. The overall design doesn't make sense except perhaps as anti-bomber artillery in a team game.

Except the new one isn't meant to be a dogfighter.

Sadly, it likely is.

Stripping it of distortion field and rotational thrusters makes that point pretty clear. It's some kind of heavy weapons platform... except that its other heavy weapons are outclassed by a railgun. The overall design doesn't make sense except perhaps as anti-bomber artillery in a team game.

The proton is actually a nice capability, and heavy lasers are also an acceptable weapon. It just costs too much in the current incarnation.

That has to be with the 6% from a crew member. I'm talking just what's possible from ship upgrades. With the evasion crew member then you can get to:

47% (scouts) (edit: really 4!%)

21% (Pike)

17% (other strike fighters)

It's worth taking the crewmember into account for sure.

So, like... one thing that matters is effective health, which scales greater than linearly. As an example, if you had 1000 health and 0% evasion, 1000 hit would take you out, right? But if you gained +50% evasion, it would take 2000. If you gained another 50%, it would take infinity.

Ex:

17% evasion boosts your effective health by 20.5%. If you could gain 5% evasion- say from being outside of center of their firing arc at some point when they shoot- that 5% evasion boosts your effective health by an additional 6.4%.

21% evasion boosts your effective health by 26.5%. If you could gain 5% evasion, it boosts your effective health by an additional 6.7%.

41% evasion boosts your effective health by 69.5%. If you could gain 5% evasion, it boosts your effective health by an additional 12%.

The tankiest ships are the Scouts because of this. Evasion is vastly superior for anyone though, and 10% base evasion is WOW too good. Many players underestimate evasion even whilst stacking it- I can't tell you how many perfectly aimed fully charged rail shots do nothing because of the coin flip.

Note that math like this also works for damage reduction, but the available numbers don't get crazy without charged plating- and also, of course, all the weapons actually in use ignore damage reduction entirely. Only the strike fighter has a hard time gaining access to armor ignoring weapons- heavy lasers, while good, have both benefits and disadvantages. If rapid fire laser and plasma railgun ignored 100% of evasion, we might actually have a meta right now. Not that this is the best solution, but plasma and some guns should enjoy some evasion pierce.

Edited by Verain

That has to be with the 6% from a crew member. I'm talking just what's possible from ship upgrades. With the evasion crew member then you can get to:

47% (scouts)

21% (Pike)

17% (other strike fighters)

Scout max is 41%, if you're talking passive evasion. 10% base, 10% armor, 15% distortion passive, 6% crewmember.