The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Expanded Universe not being wiped.

LadyKulvax

It was one long Twitter conversation I will just lay this out for you all:

Most games are considered non-canon now, however the KotOR series, TOR, etc... are pretty safe.

However TFU games aren't canon, that much was confirmed, we have the books and the books only.

I think I'll wait for an official announcement.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll wait for an official announcement.

Right...cause it's confusing lol. The TFU games...we already know they weren't canon to begin with. The books though...is what I wanna know, if they are gonna still be canon or what.

Same with the others...is the SotE novel gonna still be there? Will we still have Dash?(Hope so...) Kyle?...

Though tbh I wouldn't mind if Kyle was taken out completely and re-worked into being JUST a Rebel Agent. I never really bought Kyle as being a Jedi tbh I don't mind him being a Jedi, but his personality/set up seems more geared to being a blaster wielding kinda guy working with the Rebels and getting by with his Stormtrooper training and other skills that he has.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Right...cause it's confusing lol. The TFU games...we already know they weren't canon to begin with. The books though...is what I wanna know, if they are gonna still be canon or what.

Same with the others...is the SotE novel gonna still be there? Will we still have Dash?(Hope so...) Kyle?...

Though tbh I wouldn't mind if Kyle was taken out completely and re-worked into being JUST a Rebel Agent. I never really bought Kyle as being a Jedi tbh I don't mind him being a Jedi, but his personality/set up seems more geared to being a blaster wielding kinda guy.

Actually I think I get this now.

Just think, in the past the videogames have been on a lower plane of canon to the sourcebooks and books. So when a dispute arises they are overridden. But now everything is on the same level which basically means the books and sourcebooks have been stamped over the games. So yes, TFU the game is non-canon. But its story has been canonised in the comics/novels and the abilities, objects lore etc. have been canonised in the sourcebook.

So its a formality really, the game may as well be canon because its all been canonised in other sources.

Now I guess the same would be for other games, I mean isn't Dash Rendar the protagonist of the Shadows of the Empire game? So wouldn't that mean his actions have been canonised in the novel? And surely Kyle Katarn's story appears somewhere outside the game material? I don't know about Tyber Zann... but I guess he was always only vaguely canon anyway. Everything in EaW I guess was, because it never appeared in non-game material.

P.S. So does this mean TFU won't be retconned then? If Pablo says the story is still canon...

Actually I think I get this now.

Just think, in the past the videogames have been on a lower plane of canon to the sourcebooks and books. So when a dispute arises they are overridden. But now everything is on the same level which basically means the books and sourcebooks have been stamped over the games. So yes, TFU the game is non-canon. But its story has been canonised in the comics/novels and the abilities, objects lore etc. have been canonised in the sourcebook.

So its a formality really, the game may as well be canon because its all been canonised in other sources.

Now I guess the same would be for other games, I mean isn't Dash Rendar the protagonist of the Shadows of the Empire game? So wouldn't that mean his actions have been canonised in the novel? And surely Kyle Katarn's story appears somewhere outside the game material? I don't know about Tyber Zann... but I guess he was always only vaguely canon anyway. Everything in EaW I guess was, because it never appeared in non-game material.

P.S. So does this mean TFU won't be retconned then? If Pablo says the story is still canon...

He is as far as the game is concerned, though he doesn't appear much in the SotE novel so his actions could still be around just they weren't covered within the novel. Only thing though is the ending, novel doesn't have him destroying the Skyhook.

As for Kyle....well he is also in the Dark Forces novels. Though...Dark Forces does take place after ROTJ...except for Dark Forces: Soldier of the Empire as it takes place in 1 BBY. So Kyle could still be around, just not as a Jedi, he would be a Stormtrooper/Rebel Agent.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Curious to hear if anyone wants any part of the EU wiped...

I found the fact the fact that the post jedi empire haveing better super weapons than the death star a bit stupid why make a moon sized space station when you have the sun crusher a single man ship that can trash a solar system? so getting rid of that would be a plus same with the emperor being more powerfull in his weak clone body than his normal one. Oh and make the reven in TOR an insane guy who thinks he's reven it's better to leave the fates of PC's vauge in games like KOTOR 1,2 than ham fist into a new game.

Pity, I would love if they wiped Jacen's fall. I have not read a SW book since Swarm War. I still think he might have worked better as someone who followed his own council and worked outside the Jedi Order (even if it clashed with what Luke and Co were doing).

Well, his fall was a bit of a muck from the get go and they patched the story up in Fate of the Jedi and gave him a reason to do so. Though it kind of contradicts what happened in the previous series.

Really though, it's just another cluster**** in a long line of cluster****s in the EU.

He is as far as the game is concerned, though he doesn't appear much in the SotE novel so his actions could still be around just they weren't covered within the novel. Only thing though is the ending, novel doesn't have him destroying the Skyhook.

There are more differences than that, come on! :p

In the book, Rendar never goes to Ord Mantell. His visit to Gall is a flyby, not a jetpack infiltration; he leads the Millennium Falcon and Rogue Squadron to Boba Fett's lair and then gets out while the getting is good, much to the annoyance of the Rebels. Whereas the game doesn't cover Rendar's exploits on Bothawui with the spy cell and Skywalker, it does have him sneak about the Suprosa and capture it singlehandedly (as opposed to the brief space battle that happened in the book). Although the movie preserves the bare bones of the plan to infiltrate Xizor's palace, it leaves all the fun stuff out and makes it, well, video gamey. You get the idea.

As for Kyle....well he is also in the Dark Forces novels. Though...Dark Forces does take place after ROTJ...except for Dark Forces: Soldier of the Empire as it takes place in 1 BBY. So Kyle could still be around, just not as a Jedi, he would be a Stormtrooper/Rebel Agent.

In the NJO and subsequent books, Katarn appears, albeit usually as a background character. He's a member of the Jedi Council and is regarded as a virtually indestructible warrior, a nod to the video games. Probably his most famous mention is during Legacy of the Force, when he leads a mission to Coruscant to attempt the capture of Darth Caedus and is nearly killed (but manages to escape back to the Jedi haunt on the Sanctuary Moon).

In addition, Crosscurrent is about Katarn's apprentice, Jaden Korr, further acknowledgment of Katarn's role as a Jedi.

I respectfully somewhat disagree.

In my opinion if Disney was smart, they would keep as much as the post ROTJ EU as possible, keep characters in the movie that are from the EU, and reference events in the movie that take place prior to the movie's place in the timeline but after ROTJ (ie in A New Hope Luke does say to Obi-Wan "You fought in the Clone Wars?" before the idea of the "Clone Wars" was established. Not a stretch to replace the "Vong War" in that sentence).

While going out of their way to keep the expanded universe as is would be all well, and good for those familiar with it, it would make these movies damn near incomprehensible to someone who isn't. I fully expect large swaths of the post-ROTJ expanded universe to be wiped clean, but, to be honest, I'm okay with that, so long as Disney delivers a solid movie.

I don't know about Tyber Zann... but I guess he was always only vaguely canon anyway. Everything in EaW I guess was, because it never appeared in non-game material.

Well, Empire at War played it pretty loose with cannon,it had one campaign mission in which, before capturing the Tantive V, the Empire had to engage a fleet of rebel capital ships, including several Mon Calamari cruisers.

Well, Empire at War played it pretty loose with cannon,it had one campaign mission in which, before capturing the Tantive V, the Empire had to engage a fleet of rebel capital ships, including several Mon Calamari cruisers.
Well that's what I'm thinking. Which is why I don't think we'll see much of a change. Those games that never had books and comics to back them up never really seemed high up on the canon scale anyway.

So its true then, the post-ROTJ is dead.

Can't say I'm crying, but I can't pretend to be happy that such a huge portion of the EU is going to go.

They better bury that stuff deep, all I'm saying. I don't want to alternative universes thank you!

I'm of course glad the OR era is still around, still it seems puzzling they'd make changes to the Rise of the Empire era and not the Rebellion era... is there any real reason to scrap anything there?

Well all my post-ROTJ Luke/Sidious info is all for naught now. But least I still got Rebellion/Clone Wars era Luke/Sidious info that is still good.

Anyway...I don't think there is any particular reason to get rid of any of the Rebellion era info. So I hope they don't...as for the Rise era....don't see why they would change anything there either.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Scrapping anything should be a last resort in any case. Of course movie timeline stuff will go. I'm not surprised, but I am saddened to see post-ROTJ go. I stand by my original statement: a wholly clean post-ROTJ slate was unnecessary.

Edit: And Beni, we should be prepared for a renewed Vitiate vs. Sidious debate.

Edited by Aurbere

Well all my post-ROTJ Luke/Sidious info is all for naught now. But least I still got Rebellion/Clone Wars era Luke/Sidious info that is still good.

Anyway...I don't think there is any particular reason to get rid of any of the Rebellion era info.

Clone Wars era = Rise of the Empire era (no?) so I don't think that's safe either...

I'm guessing this means TFU is safe too, I hope.

I'm going to see this as an oppurtunity, maybe the new material that fills these spaces will be more appealing to me and I can get more involved in these portions or lore, I can't pretend to be excited at the prospect of new stories.

Scrapping anything should be a last resort in any case. Of course movie timeline stuff will go. I'm not surprised, but I am saddened to see post-ROTJ go. I stand by my original statement: a wholly clean post-ROTJ slate was unnecessary.
Well considering that these guys are the experts, maybe it was..

Clone Wars era = Rise of the Empire era (no?) so I don't think that's safe either...

I'm guessing this means TFU is safe too, I hope.

I'm going to see this as an oppurtunity, maybe the new material that fills these spaces will be more appealing to me and I can get more involved in these portions or lore, I can't pretend to be excited at the prospect of new stories.

Is it?...Well I don't see why they would change anything big. I mean what could possibly interfere with anything they are gonna be doing, that is gonna take place far in the future timeline? There really isn't a need to change any information around regarding Sidious as far as what he has done/capable of doing, so on so forth.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Is it?...Well I don't see why they would change anything big. I mean what could possibly interfere with anything they are gonna be doing, that is gonna take place far in the future timeline?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rise_of_the_Empire_era

I'm equally perplexed. One would think given the upcoming Rebels that the Rebellion era would be less safe...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rise_of_the_Empire_era

I'm equally perplexed. One would think given the upcoming Rebels that the Rebellion era would be less safe...

Hmm...well it would depend on when Rebels is gonna take place no? Besides why can't the Rebels show co-exist with what is already there? They don't nessecarily have to scrap a chunk of time just to fit in Rebels, it's not like multiple things can't happen at a time right?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Hmm...well it would depend on when Rebels is gonna take place no? Besides why can't the Rebels show co-exist with what is already there? They don't nessecarily have to scrap a chunk of time just to fit in Rebels, it's not like multiple things can't happen at a time right?
Well I guess that's what happening. Seeing as its safe. But I have no idea why the Clone Wars era would go out of print...

Now I think about it though, could be something to do with TCW show fitting into continuity.

Well I guess that's what happening. Seeing as its safe. But I have no idea why the Clone Wars era would go out of print...

Now I think about it though, could be something to do with TCW show fitting into continuity.

Haven't really kept up with the Clone Wars bit, so no idea there. I mean I guess the only reason they would scrap a bit of the timeline, if it interfered with what the show tells or whatever Disney decides to do. Which I hope they don't do much of, cause Darkhorse has done pretty well in filling that timeframe in.

/Shrug

As for the revamped Sidious vs Vitiate thing....Sidious still wins, said it once, i'll say it again. You never even had to look at the post-ROTJ stuff to figure that out.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Haven't really kept up with the Clone Wars bit, so no idea there. I mean I guess the only reason they would scrap a bit of the timeline, if it interfered with what the show tells or whatever Disney decides to do. Which I hope they don't do much of, cause Darkhorse has done pretty well in filling that timeframe in.

/Shrug

As for the revamped Sidious vs Vitiate thing....Sidious still wins, said it once, i'll say it again. You never even had to look at the post-ROTJ stuff to figure that out.

Well I guess we just wait and see, sounds like they are still deliberating.

And yeah I know, but you've seen first hand what little evidence fanboys need to for excuse to have an argument...