The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A New Hope question

wilsonstone

I'm in no way a Star Wars lore expert. I'm old enough that I saw the original movie ins theater. (My friends older brother drove us). But I have a question about that movie....Han Solo helps Luke rescue the princess because he wants the reward. He gets the reward and flies off, but comes back just in time to help Luke blow up the Death Star. But he still has the reward, right? We saw him loading it up in the rebel base commenting on he has "debts to pay" or some such. (as we know to Jabba the Hutt)

But in the Empire Strikes Back Jabba has hired bounty hunters like Boba Fett to get Solo for presumably not paying him the money. So, after getting a medal and deciding to join the rebels it never occurred to Han to make a trip back to Tattoine, pay Jabba and then join the rebellion? Or to say "Hey Luke, after the hero medal ceremony I have to dip out for a day to pay Jabba the Hutt.". Sure I could assume that he didn't do that, but that makes Solo seem kind of stupid. Or I could assume that Jabba decided to put a price on his head for spite, but that makes Jabba seem foolish too. Why risk having a rebel army pissed at you? For all Jabba knows they might send a battalion to smoke him. Heck, it only took Luke, two droids, Leia, Lando and Chewbacca to defeat his henchmen.

(Yeah, I think about this stuff too much....) Is there a canon answer to this?