The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

R.I.P Darkhorse Star Wars...

Wolfninjajedi

Hardly surprising that they are letting Marvel do it, considering they own Marvel Comics. While I haven't read any SW comics, ever, I'd wait and see before getting worried.

I was going to point this out my self. Marvel has been owned by Disney for some years now, and since Disney now owns all things Star Wars, it only make sense...

I was going to point this out my self. Marvel has been owned by Disney for some years now, and since Disney now owns all things Star Wars, it only make sense...

The writing was absolutely on the wall from the moment Disney bought Star Wars, same as how it was clear Clone Wars would have to either be replaced or just moved onto a Disney station rather than staying on Cartoon Network.

It would have been absurd as a business decision for Disney not to consolidate the property into their own companies, and having those companies in a position to make use of the Star Wars brand was probably a big part of why they bought Star Wars in the first place. (Do they own a significant book publishing company? Del Rey's license may be on borrowed time too.)

The real question is how these EU properties are going to be treated in the near future. Whether Disney will keep the EU "intact", more or less, and running as an alternate universe (the way Star Trek novels and games have ever since their reboot) or whether they'll be discontinuing it all and starting fresh with the universe established in the new movies to avoid confusion and make the properties more accessible.

I really enjoy(ed) the Dark Horse comics. Much more than the original Marvel comics (yes, I have been around back then already). I would prefer that Dark Horse keeps doing the SW comics. And I fear that Dark Horse might get in (financial) troubles without the SW license. :(

I'm now reading their "The Star Wars" series based on Lucas' old scripts, and it's pretty awesome to see how things could have been. That alongside their other works will make sure that they have an important legacy when it comes to SW literature. Sure the canon question is up in the air until EP 7 arrives, but until then it's safe to say they've added some cool stories to Star Wars.

I hope Marvel will do the same. :)

I liked the DH stuff but then again, it's all I've known. The old Marvel comics are really in another league, not comparable to stuff they and DH are doing today.

All in all it's hardly surprising, Marvel being part of Disney and all. Was only a matter of time. I'm glad they got their main stories pretty much wrapped up at DH. Quality of the latest Legacy is meh at best so I wont cry over that one at all. The force wars were interesting from having TOR tidbits in them but hardly stellar.

All in all I'm glad I was there for the DH peak. The Republic series Legacy were superb. So were KOTOR.

They must have known about this for a good long while now cos the effort of late seemed halfhearted. Perhaps it's for the best.

Edited by aeterno