Hayden Christensen playing the romance Anaking & Padme

Rabenschwinge

I remember a discussion I had with my brother a time back. We both agreed that the romance scenes with Padme and Anakin were embarrassing and unworthy of Star Wars. We both agreed that it wasn't Natalie Portman, who actually did a good job. The thing were we disagreed was whether it was whether it was Hayden Christensens fault, or whether he couldn't have done anything else given the wording of the script, so I would like to put that up for discussion. Of course it's difficult to say without knowing what the director asked of Christensen, but consider the following lines.

From http://www.scenebyscene.net/ii/aotcscript.txt

PADMÉ: Anakin, no.

ANAKIN: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, a

day hasn't gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now

that I'm with you again, I'm in agony. The closer I get to

you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you

makes my stomach turn over - my mouth goes dry. I feel

dizzy. I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss you should

never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss

will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting

me. What can I do? I will do anything you ask...

As far as I am concerned that's rubbish in the first place, and there is little Christensen could have done to play that better. He's in pain, it's all a big tragedy and that's just the way it is. Seriously, if I had been a play actor and had to play that scene I would have thrown the script in Lucas' face at that.

On the other hand Portman managed to bring the line

PADMÉ: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit

each day since you came back into my life.

in a way that works, as far as I am concerned. But despite the grave outlook of that like, the "I am not afraid..." part makes it somewhat simpler.

There are some small statements which could have done better, imho:

ANAKIN: You're asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish I could wish my feelings away... but I can't.

This might as well have been pronounced more silently, more reflecting as opposed to throwing it into Padme's (i.e. Portman's) face...

He could have said that less aggressive, more turned inward. Throughout the scene he displayed more anger than needed and there was little that showed that he was actually hoping for something beautiful here, nothing imploring or so. But ultimately I don't think that would have been a lot better or made a real difference given the wording of the monologue I started up in front.

I'd like to hear a few more views on that... I am not a play actor and I don't know a lot about play acting and the fact that I know how the scenes conduct make it difficult for me to imagine in a different way of playing them, so, what could Christensen have done to make it better, given the wording of the script.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

It's sub-par writing across the board when it came to Hayden's lines, as well as numerous sequences in those movies. Hayden was put behind the eight ball from the onset. I'm not sure if even Ewan could have pulled some of that garbage off.

With that though, Hayden is a serviceable actor at best. All you need to do is look at his résumé . There are a number of actors who have hit the big screen since Hayden's inception and have gone much further and garnered higher accolades. That's not to say, Hayden can't or will not improve.

So essentially you have a somewhat inexperienced actor, mix in some dismal writing, and you end up with, at best, tolerable scenes.

Looking at those lines now, the wording sounds like Shakespeare in the sense that the lines he had were sometimes full of dialouge that could be expressing emotion in a way that is different, IE: Romeo and Juliet for example. I don't really mind the scenes tbh, but then I like all the movies anyway. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Looking at those lines now, the wording sounds like Shakespeare in the sense that the lines he had were sometimes full of dialouge that could be expressing emotion in a way that is different, IE: Romeo and Juliet for example. I don't really mind the scenes tbh, but then I like all the movies anyway.

Great. Now I imagine how it would look on a theatre stage with a painted background and a mock up fireplace. With big gestures and loud words so that the folks in the last line can clearly hear and see it.

Make another comment and Padmé will be sung in soprano and Anakin in tenor... Thanks for the image. :D

Great. Now I imagine how it would look on a theatre stage with a painted background and a mock up fireplace. With big gestures and loud words so that the folks in the last line can clearly hear and see it.

Make another comment and Padmé will be sung in soprano and Anakin in tenor... Thanks for the image. :D

I'm serious though lol, the dialouge though not in the exact format is rather similar in what the character is saying when you look at Shakespeare and his plays.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I'm serious though lol, the dialouge though not in the exact format is rather similar in what the character is saying when you look at Shakespeare and his plays.
Not quite sure I see the correlation...

Though I suppose in response to the post, a simple "I love you" would have sufficed. That said I don't really have any significant gripe with the romance scenes and never really considered them bad in any sense. I certainly don't think they are "embarrassing and unworthy of Star Wars" and you'll be surprised by how many people share this view.

Edited by Beniboybling

I just feel a little uncomfortable seriously comparing George Lucas writing to that of William Shakespear. It may be that it sounds a bit like stage play; but not one in league with Shakespear I suppose. Not that I ever read Romeo and Juliette or saw a theatre performance, I only know a film, but I seriously doubt that, even if you understand that scene as meant for theatre, it would be in par with Romeo and Juliette.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I just feel a little uncomfortable seriously comparing George Lucas writing to that of William Shakespear. It may be that it sounds a bit like stage play; but not one in league with Shakespear I suppose. Not that I ever read Romeo and Juliette or saw a theatre performance, I only know a film, but I seriously doubt that, even if you understand that scene as meant for theater, it would be in par with Romeo and Juliette.
Well if Wolf means melodramatic and over-emphasized/expressive, I suppose I can see the correlation there.

It would certainly find itself more comfortable in the context of a Romeo & Juliet -esque performance.

But then again, this is a space opera, and there is a certain element of melodrama there. Really I wouldn't expect anything like this from anything other than a Star Wars film. Not so far from Shakespeare as you might think.

I just feel a little uncomfortable seriously comparing George Lucas writing to that of William Shakespear. It may be that it sounds a bit like stage play; but not one in league with Shakespear I suppose. Not that I ever read Romeo and Juliette or saw a theatre performance, I only know a film, but I seriously doubt that, even if you understand that scene as meant for theatre, it would be in par with Romeo and Juliette.

Why be uncomfortable? It's just writing. I never said that it was up there with Shakepeare, just that the writing is of a similar manner.

Also you never have read Romeo and Juliet?! WHAT! :eek:

Well if Wolf means melodramatic and over-emphasized/expressive, I suppose I can see the correlation there.

Yes that is what I am getting at.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Also you never have read Romeo and Juliet?! WHAT! :eek:
Hesa CRAZY! But if the film he saw was one with Leonardo Di Caprio in it then that's okay. :p

Though how he managed to get through education without being waylayed by Romeo & Juliet I don't know.

Yes that is what I am getting at.
I thought as much.

Hesa CRAZY! But if the film he saw was one with Leonardo Di Caprio in it then that's okay. :p

It was. Though the only thing I remember is a gun with a label "Sword - 9mm" from scratch. I do remember that I did love the film though. However, it wasn't original, it was German synchronization, and with that kind of dialogue, there is a lot lost in translation.

Though how he managed to get through education without being waylayed by Romeo & Juliet I don't know.

I thought as much.

Well, I could argue that I am German, started learning English and school when I was ten years old and we did read Macbeth in school. But if I used that kind of argument I'd have to admit that never read or seen a theatre performance of Goethe's "Faust" either, so I rather abstain from it.

It was. Though the only thing I remember is a gun with a label "Sword - 9mm" from scratch. I do remember that I did love the film though. However, it wasn't original, it was German synchronization, and with that kind of dialogue, there is a lot lost in translation.

Well, I could argue that I am German, started learning English and school when I was ten years old and we did read Macbeth in school. But if I used that kind of argument I'd have to admit that never read or seen a theatre performance of Goethe's "Faust" either, so I rather abstain from it.

Lol, well if you are German that makes sense. In an English (and maybe) American school you'd have Romeo and Juliet shoved right up in your face along with a host of other Shakespere plays lol.

Not that I don't like them or anything.

If you sum it all up, that scene use basically: Padme, I think you are so hot so can we make out again and get married?

Did I get it right?

It's more of, that it's killing him(on the inside emotional level) because he knows that he can't have a relationship with Padme hence the wording

"I'm in agony. The closer I get to

you, the worse it gets."

"I'm haunted by the kiss you should

never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss

will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting

me."

"You're asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish I could wish my feelings away... but I can't."

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Never bothered me, I enjoyed the prequels for the most part.

And it served the point of conveying that he thought life was unbearable without her. (which in turn emphasizes how miserable he must've been as Vader)

Edited by Callaron

It's more of, that it's killing him(on the inside emotional level) because he knows that he can't have a relationship with Padme hence the wording

Indeed. But what he doesn't say is what she means to him. He only says that he kept thinking about her and what pain her presence causes and how she's "tormenting" him. And that in an aggressive, demanding tone.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Indeed. But what he doesn't say is what she means to him. He only says that he kept thinking about her and what pain her presence causes and how she's "tormenting" him. And that in an aggressive, demanding tone.

But of course. That is Anakin's character, he has conflicting emotions/thoughts. Which is kinda ongoing throughout the 3 movies.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

In an English (and maybe) American school you'd have Romeo and Juliet shoved right up in your face along with a host of other Shakespere plays lol.

Hey! In my American high school we read R & J, Macbeth, and Julies Caesar then saw Othello, Hamlet, The Comedy of Errors (which was awesome!) at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Also read Beowulf and Canterbury Tales. Never doubt us again :D I kid I kid :p

Back to the original question. I always thought that the script wasn't so good but also Hayden himself was kind of wooden and unemotional. As you say we don't know what he was asked to do but that's my opinion based on what I know. N Portman does better than Hayden but to me that just restates the difference in actor/actress talent.

Edited by sell-dog

Back to the original question. I always thought that the script wasn't so good but also Hayden himself was kind of wooden and unemotional.

??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zCw127qWhuU#t=25

All that is unemotional? In what form are you using the unemotional bit??

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zCw127qWhuU#t=25

All that is unemotional? In what form are you using the unemotional bit??

Yes that scene is fine. The part of the movie that OP quotes refer to are examples of what I refer to as being wooden and unemotional. The opening bit of ATOC when they argue about Padme's security is another example of showing not convincing emotion in my opinion. The bit of ATOC when Padme falls out of the Clone ship while following Dooku then Anakin and Obi-Wan argue is a 3rd example. Again all this is in my opinion. I think Hayden C does better in ROTS be it due to experience, instruction, script, etc.

Edit: That scene really is a good example countering my point but to me I thought Hayden struggled a little with showing emotion in ATOC as a whole

Edited by sell-dog

Yes that scene is fine. The part of the movie that OP quotes refer to are examples of what I refer to as being wooden and unemotional. The opening bit of ATOC when they argue about Padme's security is another example of showing not convincing emotion in my opinion. The bit of ATOC when Padme falls out of the Clone ship while following Dooku then Anakin and Obi-Wan argue is a 3rd example. Again all this is in my opinion. I think Hayden C does better in ROTS be it due to experience, instruction, script, etc.

Edit: That scene really is a good example countering my point but to me I thought Hayden struggled a little with showing emotion in ATOC as a whole

Oh ok. XD

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think people confuse unemotional and wooden acting with overemotional and unbelievable acting.

Saying Hayden's performance is wooden etc. in my opinion is just silly, sorry folks but you can't call him a whiny emo kid and a marble statue simultaneously. It doesn't work. What people are actually being critical of here is an overuse of emotion, which, because its from a certain perspective melodramatic, they find difficult to believe is real.

But that's personal perspective I feel, because I personally don't have difficulty recognizing that intensity of emotion as possible. Altogether I feel accusing Hayden of struggling to show emotion is a misuse of words, at best you can accuse him of being overemotional. But simply watching that scene and others proves he was anything but wooden.

Now to give you an example of actual wooden/unemotional acting I refer you to

The last person she reminds me of is Hayden.[/color]