Camping, Legit or not ?

Chaosritter

Ok this just was my 7 th game today, not one of them won, mostly around 90:1000. :(

Iv noticed that quite a number of Gunship Pilots tend to park themself under an Satelite, very close to it, so you can´t realy target them until your close, at which point im about to crash into the Satelite....

Is this realy something we need in an Space PvP Mode, AWP Campers ?

Edited by Chaosritter

A gunship parked under a satellite is a strike fighters dream to lob missiles at. Or, a Flashfire's dream to make them spaz with cluster missiles and then burn down as they flee.

Are gunships annoying when they keep zapping you? Sure. But there are plenty of tactics to employ against them in either a scout of strike. Even if they are being supported by their own team, I've found chasing one across the map and having one or two of their buddies chase me is still good strategy. One ship pulling 3 off a node or the fight in general makes it easier for my team to attack/defend a node.

I'm not sure what people expected of this game, it's still objective based PVP, just in space ships. If you can benefit your team by distracting 2-3 other players, cool. If that one player is causing rage and anguish for 2-3 of our players then we're doing it wrong and adjust your tactics.

Those are the easiest kills if you know how to stop and not slam in to things like a tardo.

/thread

But you love it when I slam past you like a "tardo"... I am smug with the knowledge that my debris clouds your vision till the smoke clears!!!

... this might sound odd, but I've encountered this situation before and rather than lob missiles at them I do the standard strafing attack run ... then cut my thrusters when I go past. Spin slooooooowly to face them. And then fire everything. Granted, I have nowhere near enough of a sample size to say that this will always happen, but there's a reluctance from the gunship pilots I've seen to dart out from near beneath the sat, and some confusion as to where I'm shooting from as I sit there, near point-blank in range, and pew pew. It's like they think they have the monopoly for sitting in place like that.

That can be annoying for someone new, sure.

Pressing x will totally cut your engines so you can stop, by the way. S will cut them to 33% so you go slow.

If a gunship is parked and sitting still under a satellite, that's actually pretty good for your team. They can't attack and they're sitting ducks. Some tips- strafe by them and hit them a couple times until you see them blow some cooldowns. Then fly away until their buff ends (you can see buffs above the same window that shows their ship). Come back, blow cooldowns, and own them.

If you've really got a grudge, switch to rocket pods in your missile slots. You will destroy unmoving targets extremely fast, and most won't try to run. This is because a lot of pilots only really go into run mode when they hear a missile lock. No missile lock+tons of damage=dead opponent.

Also, somewhat unintuitive, but you want to be as far from the gunship as possible while still in your blaster range if they have a chance to shoot at you. Gunships pretty much always use burst cannons for their blasters, and that hits harder the closer you are.

Parking on the satellite is a talent used by such greats as Obi-Wan. Someone parked does not turn as fast as someone moving normal throttle settings. You can use this to your advantage to kill someone parked on the satellite. For me, I use my scout's straight-forward firing missiles for these instances as I can get several off before they realize they need to boost out of there.

... this might sound odd, but I've encountered this situation before and rather than lob missiles at them I do the standard strafing attack run ... then cut my thrusters when I go past. Spin slooooooowly to face them. And then fire everything. Granted, I have nowhere near enough of a sample size to say that this will always happen, but there's a reluctance from the gunship pilots I've seen to dart out from near beneath the sat, and some confusion as to where I'm shooting from as I sit there, near point-blank in range, and pew pew. It's like they think they have the monopoly for sitting in place like that.

Exactly, and this is how Strikes and Scouts can turn a perceived strength into a real weakness.

Another tactic for getting in close quickly: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=708432

Parking on the satellite is a talent used by such greats as Obi-Wan. Someone parked does not turn as fast as someone moving normal throttle settings. You can use this to your advantage to kill someone parked on the satellite. For me, I use my scout's straight-forward firing missiles for these instances as I can get several off before they realize they need to boost out of there.
A sabotage probe that temporarily fries their instruments and hinders their boost ability sets this up nicely. Edited by GalacticKegger

Generally a gunship shouldn't park itself under a satellite unless it is actually capping or trying to cap. Being near the satellite poses two issues for the gunship:

1. The satellite is where everyone wants to be. The gunship doesn't want to be where anyone else is. The gunship wants to be alone, away from other ships, because that is fundamentally how the railgun works. Optimal range to target for a gunship is 10-13km.

2. The satellite occludes 30-50% of your FOV. You can't hit targets on the far side. The further away from the satellite you are, the less of your FOV it occludes.

A sabotage probe that temporarily fries their instruments and hinders their boost ability sets this up nicely.

Sabotage probe does not prevent boost from functioning. It does prevent barrel roll from functioning, but they can still boost away with spacebar in a straight line.

Ok this just was my 7 th game today, not one of them won, mostly around 90:1000. :(

Iv noticed that quite a number of Gunship Pilots tend to park themself under an Satelite, very close to it, so you can´t realy target them until your close, at which point im about to crash into the Satelite....

Is this realy something we need in an Space PvP Mode, AWP Campers ?

Because only Gunships do this, right? Blame the developer's that forces you to touch butts with the satellite to cap it, not pilots.

Bioware has a reward system that benefits satellite campers, sitting under a satellite is both the safest and at the same time most useless place to sit, it is really a pain in the butt to do combat under the satellites either stationary or orbiting the are simply soo many restrictions to LOS. I know this one flashfire that like to put all his points into burst damage and tucks right tight into one of the crevasses under B in the asteroids map, it's a pretty good baited trap but at the same time if you figure out his game you can blow out his under-armored *** pretty well.

Camping really shouldn't be a curse in GSF especially domination mode, GS camp it's what they are. Bombers will likely camp a lot too.

I don't see Camping being an OP tactic either, this is always objective based gameplay and not some FPS where people camp to rack up their scores, Team tactics win the day in GSF, and team tactics are necessary to root out the campers sometimes.

Also any Striker with heavy lasers positively drools at a stationary target.