Good Pilots need a nerf

Brewski

Putting aside the fact that franky, this game doesn't have the numbers to support matchmaking - that's why Ranked PVP queues are often such deserts - it won't help new players learn to fly either. I went into GSF without doing the tutorial. All I did was read the keybindings, then launched. I died a LOT. But every time I did, I learned something I shouldn't be doing. I shouldn't fly in a straight line, I shouldn't linger in open space, I shouldn't try to do tight turns around antennae, I shouldn't try to go between the light-displays on satellites, I shouldn't fly straight at gunships. After I stopped dieing 10 times in a match, then I started learning what I should do to kill people. I shouldn't try locking missiles on a target doing circles around a satellite. I shouldn't joust with a fighter in a scout. I shouldn't ignore gunships.

Dieing is how people learn in games like this. People just need to get used to it and actually learn something. Matchmaking would make the bad get worse (and quit) and make the good get better (and bored and quit).

People need to stop doing what they think on paper is effective and start observing what actually works, too. People who waste minutes of time flying in asteroid fields or out in open space dogfighting instead of battling over objectives make me grind my teeth. People who try to use missiles without even resorting to blasters, ignoring them entirely, or try locking on missiles to people fighting at objectives at max range like they won't react. If you want to win, fly like you do. Don't expect other people to change how they fly to accommodate you.

Exactly! Pay attention to this post before asking for matchmaking.

I do this in my scout sometimes when I'm guarding a node (hey, don't look at me like that, even I like to take it easy from time to time). In Lost Shipyards, I'll typically sit on the the sat at C, just racking up defense points, and watch my map for a blip headed my way. Quick target, wait out of LOS for them, line up the shot for when they clear the obstruction, and start firing. In Kuat Mesas, I'll actually bury up in a nook of the scaffolding and wait for someone to come in, then boost on after them. It's just fun ambushing people.

I started out much the same as you, but man... that list. You DON'T fly through the "solar arms" of the sats? That's like, one of those psychological things, when you slip between them and turn back on someone following you. Just like weaving through the scaffolding of Kuat Mesas' B node. Flying straight at gunships works, if you have the right upgrades. So does head-to-head with a strike fighter in a scout. Key is having the right build for it. People think "oh, a squishy scout is flying right at me, easy *BOOM!*.... f***." Start locking missiles while chasing someone around a sat. Why? It makes people panic, especially if you get that lock established. They hit their lock break, which sometimes makes them crash into that sat. Or they crash themselves as they try to fly tighter or faster. Play mind games with them, psychological warfare is FUN!

For clarification, when I said flying between the "solar arms" (my name for the light panels that show the objective status... because that's what they remind me of in a realistic sense), I didn't mean flying between two of those arms. I meant what I'm sure NomineImperator meant... that little gap in each of those arms.

Lol yeah I actually flew through those this morning and to my suprise I didn't die

The part about work and effort is undeniably true. However, anytime this argument is present, I like to ask: when you started with the sport, were you immediately competing against the best? (in tennis, for example, against the top X ATP players). Or did you start with a trainer and/or group of peers roughly of your level?

I don't like to think of this as a sport. It is an online space war. And in war, you dont get matchmaking.

Edited by RahzZalinto

Lol yeah I actually flew through those this morning and to my suprise I didn't die

It's fun, isn't it?! :D I love the challenge involved, flying through tight obstructions. Boost-chasing around/through things, as well. One misstep, and it's back to the respawn point, and that disgraceful message for all to see!

So, how am I going to learn to *not* suck at zero kills? I think it's called "work" and "effort". Just like all the sports I have done in my lifetime. I sucked enough until I learned not to suck and be ...mediocre.

That's pretty lucky- so every time you went out to do some sports, you played against million dollar athletes who never let you even close to the ball/puck and made circles around you?

Because that's pretty much what this is, when you have players who end matches regularly with under 500 damage, 2% hit rate, no kills or assists going against players with 20 kills and 50%+ hit rates. This isn't like your average pvp, where if you can get through pve enough to get to that level, you at least know how to use some abilities to deal damage and heal. In this- your average player barely knows how to move or look around decently enough not to hit a wall- they won't spend their games learning, they'll spend their games being dogged by players they will never even see.

There's a reason all sports, and video games with a competitive component have leagues, or rankings, or some way of separating the good from the bad- and it's not enjoyable to the average person to play grossly outside of their skill level. As well- despite what some seem to think- it's not a learning experience. Do you know why when you go into grade 2 math, they don't give you quadratic functions or university level physics equations? Because to learn, you always need to be given a challenge that is more difficult than what you've already done, but not so difficult that it's grossly out of reach.

It goes both ways- good players farming bads will never get any better, and bad players being farmed without a chance will most likely just give up and find something else to do- pretty easy considering there's no reward for doing this minigame other than more stuff for the minigame.

I don't like to think of this as a sport. It is an online space war. And in war, you dont get matchmaking.

You also don't put million dollar credit ships in the hands of rookies- most players, with their skill exhibited, would still be flying nothing but simulations.

It's fun, isn't it?! :D I love the challenge involved, flying through tight obstructions. Boost-chasing around/through things, as well. One misstep, and it's back to the respawn point, and that disgraceful message for all to see!

Haha, I do enjoy bobbing and weaving through tight spots as well! It's particularly satisfying to pull off a maneuver by the skin of your teeth - especially when it's followed by the "Pubonyourtail has self destructed!" message :D

Of course when I fail and die like a dingus it's kind of embarrassing :t_redface: But I've fortunately managed to reduce my unwanted suicide rate substantially.

That's pretty lucky- so every time you went out to do some sports, you played against million dollar athletes who never let you even close to the ball/puck and made circles around you?

Because that's pretty much what this is, when you have players who end matches regularly with under 500 damage, 2% hit rate, no kills or assists going against players with 20 kills and 50%+ hit rates. This isn't like your average pvp, where if you can get through pve enough to get to that level, you at least know how to use some abilities to deal damage and heal. In this- your average player barely knows how to move or look around decently enough not to hit a wall- they won't spend their games learning, they'll spend their games being dogged by players they will never even see.

There's a reason all sports, and video games with a competitive component have leagues, or rankings, or some way of separating the good from the bad- and it's not enjoyable to the average person to play grossly outside of their skill level. As well- despite what some seem to think- it's not a learning experience. Do you know why when you go into grade 2 math, they don't give you quadratic functions or university level physics equations? Because to learn, you always need to be given a challenge that is more difficult than what you've already done, but not so difficult that it's grossly out of reach.

It goes both ways- good players farming bads will never get any better, and bad players being farmed without a chance will most likely just give up and find something else to do- pretty easy considering there's no reward for doing this minigame other than more stuff for the minigame.

I think that I can safely say that in this, the 3rd week since release, the majority of new players are not being dropped into games where they are hopelessly outmatched by all of their opponents.

Edited by Dustotepp

What's really fun is weaving through obstacles before looping around into a Harrower class ship and twisting and turning to dodge the pipes as your pursuer either A. Flys after you and is just as good as you and keeps up, B. Tries to follow you but crashes into an obstacle, C. They chicken out and fly next to the ship until you re-emerge. (the harrowers that are not operational ofc.)

Really helped me improve my precision maneuvering.

The part about work and effort is undeniably true. However, anytime this argument is present, I like to ask: when you started with the sport, were you immediately competing against the best? (in tennis, for example, against the top X ATP players). Or did you start with a trainer and/or group of peers roughly of your level?

Most times I was thrown in the best persons. It was extremely frustrating. I learned not to give up. Now, if I was constantly thrown in with the best day after day after day, week after week after week? No. My coaches laid off a bit. I had to work up the level.

Edited by CaliJoe