Mach 5 Massacre - In-Depth Marauder Guide

Kibaken

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH GOD RAGE IS UP

Get it while it's hot, folks. Mind you this is currently only a PvE-focused guide.

I will expand it to cover PvP specs/tips at a later date, however if you're curious of how Rage plays in PvP it's pretty much exactly the same - prioritize your uber-Smash.

OH GOD RAGE IS UP

Get it while it's hot, folks. Mind you this is currently only a PvE-focused guide.

I will expand it to cover PvP specs/tips at a later date, however if you're curious of how Rage plays in PvP it's pretty much exactly the same - prioritize your uber-Smash.

Thanks. I learned useful infos there.

Since I'm playing Rage PvE for a while now, I do things a bit differently regarding talents and the rotation, but it boils down to the same result. Cheers.

Thanks. I learned useful infos there.

Since I'm playing Rage PvE for a while now, I do things a bit differently regarding talents and the rotation, but it boils down to the same result. Cheers.

My motto - especially with the filler choices in ToR so far - is that it comes to personal preference. For instance some may rather have extra Power/Surge/Crit on their gear and pick up Narrowed Hatred or grab Defensive Roll because their healers suck.

In no way are my guides set in stone; they're more like... well, guidelines.

Hm I'm a little bit surprised but the Rakata-set have no surge? :confused: Maybe I'm blind it's 8 o'clock in the morning.

Is Surge not important for endlevelgear?:confused:

You'll need to supplement with enhancements from raid drops/PvP gear and Columi gear until then.

Hm ok - that's bad and the Raid drops are very often:rolleyes::(

Well, there are Enhancements from Gharj(?) and J&S and there are mods vom Council. But since EVERYONE in the raid needs them...

Really, the itemization of Rakata gear is soo ****ed up -_-

Thanks for the guides! And since I am playing Rage since the beginning, thanks for putting that one up.

One thing I do not understand is that you advice to start rotation with: Charge -> Crush

But this is only possible with "Enraged Charge", which is not part of your linked skill tree. So without the 1 extra rage it is not possible to do a Crush right after a Charge, right?

Thanks for the guides! And since I am playing Rage since the beginning, thanks for putting that one up.

One thing I do not understand is that you advice to start rotation with: Charge -> Crush

But this is only possible with "Enraged Charge", which is not part of your linked skill tree. So without the 1 extra rage it is not possible to do a Crush right after a Charge, right?

costs 3 when you put the point into the rage talent that will decrease ragecost of all your slowing abilities, which crush is.

But again this is not in the linked Skilltree. So is there a "revised" skilltree up that corresponds to the suggested starting rotation?

It's not really a problem, because I can live with using choke first (always did anyway), but it makes the guide somewhat inconsistent. ;)

Woops; thank you for that. I'm too used to Charge being 4 that when I was writing it slipped my mind that it's talented to 4. I'll revise that now.

Edit: Just updated the spec. For PvE purposes I took a point out of Interceptor to put into Gravity. There aren't many fights where mobility is that much of an issue for Rage due to the two gap-closers. If you like 2/2 Interceptor you could sacrifice a bit of survivability and drop a point from Undying as well, but it's personal preference.

Edited by Kibaken

Seriously, best thread on the forum. I wast "meh" towards my Marauder before I read this thread.

After respec and getting new gear thanks to this thread, I am in lurve again with the class. My Mara is now my highest level character (not 50 yet, but it's really fun).

Thank you so very much.

To make it less confusing, the opening rotation should look like this:

Charge -> Massacre -> Battering Assault -> Gore -> Ravage -> Scream

This will be the only time Massacre will be ahead of Force Scream and is to insure there is a Blood Frenzy rolling.

After your opener you will want to keep Ravage, Gore, Force Scream and Battering Assault on CD at all times while weaving in Massacres and Assaults in when you can (Assault -> Massacre = no net Rage loss).

The mid-fight priority is thus:

Gore > Ravage > Battering Assault > Force Scream > Berserk > Massacre

So im likeing this guide very much and through it i learned the way i was killing things although efficiant, this kills faster.. Im trying this new rotation out but my question is I am not yet of lvl for massacre i am lvl 32. I switched Massacre with assault until i do get it.

My question is this...

What do i do with the rotation after the opening 6 moves. I find i still have things on CD, and am forced to use assault until things come back.

is this the proper choice? or what do you do?

So im likeing this guide very much and through it i learned the way i was killing things although efficiant, this kills faster.. Im trying this new rotation out but my question is I am not yet of lvl for massacre i am lvl 32. I switched Massacre with assault until i do get it.

My question is this...

What do i do with the rotation after the opening 6 moves. I find i still have things on CD, and am forced to use assault until things come back.

is this the proper choice? or what do you do?

It's hard to give guidance to someone who's leveling. I'd recommend just doing what works until you get higher. Until you get Massacre Carnage will be fairly lackluster compared to the other specs. For now use Assault/Vicious Slash as your filler.

Woops; thank you for that. I'm too used to Charge being 4 that when I was writing it slipped my mind that it's talented to 4. I'll revise that now.

Now it all makes sense. ;)

Why do you prefer to Crush first and Choke later? I am quite used to choking first, but I admit that it seems to make sense to use the Crush timer to start a Battering Assault early (to have its CD run through). Just curious about your personal decision.

And to mention it: Your guide just made me level/DPS a lot faster. My problem was that I spread points too much, while now (lv40+) I finished the whole Rage tree first and fill in the rest later.

I do not like this...

It could mean that surge DM's were higher than the rest of the stats and that they rebalanced it to be lower then had to apply the %10 reduction to not make it a buff.

So it could be neither a buff nor a nerf.

Something tells me we'll get some clarification as I feel a disturbance in the force as hundreds of angry nerds clamor to their computers to write qq posts about this patch note.

Can I get a link of what YOU feel is the best Carnage build for PvP? Thank you.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bcZuMrbddrorsZG.1

It's currently what I'm using for PvE as well since I have wayyyy too much Accuracy at the moment. For a full PvP spec you'll want to drop Enraged Assault and pick up Unbound.

I do not like this...

It will definitely be interesting to see how this Surge change affects everyone, including what the new DR is.

Edited by Kibaken

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bcZuMrbddrorsZG.1

It's currently what I'm using for PvE as well since I have wayyyy too much Accuracy at the moment. For a full PvP spec you'll want to drop Enraged Assault and pick up Unbound.

First off, truly great job on the guides Kiba, I have enjoyed reading them all. I was interested to see that you are back to Carnage for pvp atm. I can only assume you switch specs fairly often testing different aspects but I thought you mentioned you were using Anni lately.

If I had my preference, I would play the Carnage spec as I enjoy its play style the best. Do you think that Carnage is truly gimped in pvp compared to the other specs right now? What results are you seeing as Carnage compared to Anni and Rage in pve and pvp?

Thanks.