The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vintage Republic Military Armor set (and the problem with it)

ODST-Parker

I have recently seen screenshots of some new Cartel Market items (not Cartel Pack items) thanks to Dulfy, who makes a great SWTOR guide and news network at Dulfy.net.

I kept scrolling down and the first thing that stood out to me was the apparent design and color scheme of the good old red, yellow, and black Republic Soldier armor from Knights of the Old Republic. I thought, FINALLY! But then I noticed that there is a major problem. The helmet... Instead of taking the great design from the actual games, the helmet that is remarkably similar to the ones worn by the Rebel Alliance soldiers in A New Hope and onwards, they choose to take the design from the old concept art...

So now we get a weird looking helmet that looks like this... (The one on the far left)

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110312152221/starwars/images/3/32/RepublicMiliaryKotORCG.jpg

The guy is literally looking at the inside of his helmet... How is that practical at all? It looks terrible!

This is how it SHOULD look, this is the actual model from the KOTOR games.

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090101132959/starwars/images/8/87/Kotor_manaan_rep_soldier.jpg

Obviously, it needs to be changed to match the look of SWTOR from the old graphics of KOTOR, but it shouldn't be changed from that design. Don't make it skin tight like so many things in SWTOR, bulk up the armored pieces, and make the helmet correct!

Why couldn't it be the normal helmet? There is absolutely no reason to use the concept art one when you obviously have the rights to use the EXACT helmet design from the games themselves, the ones that everyone wanted! I think I speak for most Trooper players that played KOTOR when I say we've always wanted that armor. I personally think the helmet was the best part of it, and now you've gone and screwed it up. I love the fact that Bioware is remaking almost every set of iconic armor and other outfits from the Knights of the Republic games, but at least be accurate to the games, the FINISHED PRODUCT of the games, not some crappy concept art that most people haven't even seen before looking it up.

If you really want to keep this new design, please just consider adding another one with the design from the actual game. We know that you can do it, you obviously have the rights to it, so why not make it?

If you're finally going to give us Troopers the opportunity to use the long awaited Republic Military uniform as our armor, at least give us the one that we all know and love.

Edited by ODST-Parker
  • Like 1

They actually model their gear after concept / fan art if you haven't noticed. Look at Darth Sion. He had NO shoulder pad in KotOR 2. :/

They will not change it. I am also annoyed that they are ruining really lovely and iconic outfits with either unnecessary additions (wth is that sack doing on Jolee's robe?!) or wrong coloring (again, Jolee's would be perfect example).

But hey! I am with you. OP appears to actually feel like myself, who's been waiting for some traditional and iconic Jedi robes for a very long time now. :p

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

They actually model their gear after concept / fan art if you haven't noticed. Look at Darth Sion. He had NO shoulder pad in KotOR 2. :/

They will not change it. I am also annoyed that they are ruining really lovely and iconic outfits with either unnecessary additions (wth is that sack doing on Jolee's robe?!) or wrong coloring (again, Jolee's would be perfect example).

But hey! I am with you. OP appears to actually feel like myself, who's been waiting for some traditional and iconic Jedi robes for a very long time now. :p

I do hate how they seem to make sure every time they add something to the game to add it along with something about it that practically no one likes, most of the KOTOR outfits are a good example. Making them from fan art or concept art makes no sense at all, as most people wanted these looks because they saw them in the game itself.

Side note: Yeah, I REALLY want some traditional Jedi robes as well. Armor plating and other weird attachments aside. I do like the armored look for my Guardian, but my Sage really needs some real Jedi robes.

I totally agree with the OP.

Of course I am glad that you finally added this iconic armor set but as a big KOTOR fan I would really like the helmet design from the KOTOR games.

Edit: Please make the armor more lock like armor and not like a skintight jogging suit

Edited by Zeddl

The sad fact of it is, with the proper helmet I would've worn the whole set. As it is, I'll buy it just for the unlock but I will never, under any circumstances, wear that utterly hideous contraption that they dare to call a helmet.

I probably won't even buy that armor at all now. I really hoped that this armor would be added to the game, but if it's going to remain like this, with the skin tight design, with no attention to how the armored pieces of the armor should be more bulky, not to mention the hideous concept art version of the helmet, then I will never buy it. If it was actually true to its finished design, I would have bought it instantly.