When does Kinetic rotation get fun?

Kozor

The rotation is not going to look like your endgame rotation until you have all of: Harnessed Darkness, Shadow Wrap, Particle Acceleration and Slow Time. Your rotation basically gets interesting from levels 40-45. Until then, you kinda spam Double Strike, Project, and Force Breach.

Double Strike does typically end up being your focus dump. But at absolute most, you'll use it 6 times in 9 seconds (which is totally ludicrous, you're going to have 3 stacks of harnessed shadows WAY before the full 12 seconds) with no Shadow Wrap procs (which typically happen every 6 or so seconds, I've found) and no particle acceleration procs (which typically happen about every other double strike or shadow strike, it seems). When I'm tanking, I typically end up using double strike 3 or 4 times in 12 seconds, with a mix of a total of 3 projects and slow times, maybe 2 Shadow Strikes and a Force Breach. Not the most involved rotation, but each move is situationally useful. Double Strike just so happens to proc 2 of your big threat generators. Opening up the fight with a critical project at 4k damage and a full critical TKT with 3 stacks of harnessed shadows hitting for 1.8k a tick, nobody is going to pull aggro off of you.

Higher up in the tree you also get to backstab people in the face (on a double strike proc...) and roundhouse-kick them out of stealth. :D

Until you get slow time you should probably be using force breach on CD whenever fighting more than one enemy.

The 'rotation' remains quite boring when fighting a single target immune to CCs (most bosses). But this lets you focus on whatever mechanics require your awareness, and your defensives.

• 2 weeks later...
Shadow is a slow developing class in any tree. 1-30ish is a rough go of it. Class blossoms and really gets fun in the 40s. I remember almost quitting the class all together while doing Belsavis, it was like pulling teeth, but once I got into the 40s it started to get fun and I was finally able to use some companions besides Theran.

Honestly, the easiest Shadow spec to level with is probably Balance. You get some self-heals almost immediately, and the big proc you rely on, Force Strike (finishes the CD on Mind Crush and makes the next one free and instant), is available at level 25. That's just my opinion, though, as someone who leveled with Balance.