The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone Round 2 Loser's Bracket Match 02: Vodo-Siosk Baas vs. Darth Maul

Aurbere

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was holding back his actual speed. But yeah....though I can't post his TPM feats as of now, gotta do some RL stuff...so bbl people.

He probably held back, true. But surely, not a lot. Maul himself is a master of LS combat, and Sidious would not restrict himself more than he has to. And as far as I know, Sidious preferred not to have prolonged LS duels. Not to mention, increasing your speed for the duration of a duel surely isn't a greater risk of detection by the Jedi than torturing Maul with Lightning for several minutes, so that would be sort of pointless.

Not to forget, the ease with which Sidious defeats Savage. Savage, although brutish and unrefined, has shown himself able to keep up in combat with the likes of Ventress and Kenobi. However, he lasted only seconds against Sidious when combatting him alone.

He probably held back, true. But surely, not a lot. Maul himself is a master of LS combat, and Sidious would not restrict himself more than he has to. And as far as I know, Sidious preferred not to have prolonged LS duels. Not to mention, increasing your speed for the duration of a duel surely isn't a greater risk of detection by the Jedi than torturing Maul with Lightning for several minutes, so that would be sort of pointless.

Not to forget, the ease with which Sidious defeats Savage. Savage, although brutish and unrefined, has shown himself able to keep up in combat with the likes of Ventress and Kenobi. However, he lasted only seconds against Sidious when combatting him alone.

It only seems feasible that Sidious would employ his hold back then go all out strategy against somebody he could not defeat instantly and outright. And yes, it makes it quite explicit in the novel that Sidious was too fast for Savage.

And given that Maul is the more powerful Force User, I'd say Maul is faster than Vodo.

Quick Question: Why did Maul never create a lightsaber similar to that of Kas'im since he is such a great duelist? He is proficient it seems with nearly all styles of fighting, and using that type of lightsaber would enable him to switch from one to another effortlessly. Combine his skill with the lightsaber with possible interesting combinations and surprises that this may entail, and he may have been deadlier. So why did he not?

Alright well seeing as I have some time now, I can post up some TPM Maul feats for him. Not sure how well they would translate to TCW Maul considering his lower legs..but seeing as they were asked for I don't got a problem posting.

======

Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.

But on this day, he had met his match. The Sith Lord he battled with Obi - Wan was more than his equal in weapons training, and he had the advantage of being younger and stronger. Qui-Gon was nearing sixty; his youth was behind him and his strength was beginning to diminish. His edge now, to the extent that he had one, came from his long experience and intuitive grasp of how an adversary might employ a lightsaber against him.

Obi-Wan brought youth and stamina to the combat, but he had fought in only a few contests and was not battle hardened. Together, they were able to hold their own against the Sith Lord, but their efforts at attack, at assuming the offensive against this dangerous adversary, were woefully inadequate.

Despite that the tag team brought both experience/combat skill(Qui-Gon) and youth/stamina(Obi-Wan), the two could just hold their own against Maul.

Behind his back, Maul flexed his wrists. The durasteel binders dug into his flesh, but the Sith Lord felt no pain. With a jerk, Maul pulled his arms apart. The binders shattered, scattering bits of durasteel all over the cell's filthy floor. The interrogator droid made an excited whirring sound. It had never seen a prisoner break free from a set of binders with such ease. The droid activated its laser scalpels and hurtled through the air toward Maul. Maul delivered a sharp kick to the droid's spherical underside. The droid soared toward the ceiling but regained control before impact and flew back toward the Sith. Maul leaped aside, moving faster than the droid's photoreceptor could follow. The droid raced past him and smashed hard against the cell wall.

Here Maul moves faster than a droid could see, also on a somewhat unrelated note to his speed, he also broke durasteel binders.

Discipline was the key to power. Unflinching discipline was what had forged him into a sword master and warrior. Discipline was what enabled him to defy gravity and slow the inrush of sensory input, so that he could move between the moments.

Able to precieve his surroundings in slow motion.

Cursing through his gritted teeth, he put his right arm through the bow and hooked it over his shoulder, then ran through a hail of blaster bolts to reach Talzin. Heaving her over his shoulder, he raced for the safety of the adjacent bay, the two Nightsisters steps behind.

Here he runs through blaster fire without sustaining a hit.

Before the weapon had bounced off the wall and landed on the floor, Maul had the lightsaber in his grasp. He thumbed on both blades as the next blaster bolt and half a dozen more came his way in rapid succession. The Sith apprentice's hands were a blur as he let the dark side take him over completely, giving in to its power and allowing it to control and manipulate him. Blaster bolts struck the lightsaber's spinning blades and were deflected into the walls, the ceiling, the floor.

Before a blaster hits the floor, he moves his hands fast enough that they seem like blurrs and deflects a dozen blaster shots.

When I complete my basic exercises, I power up my double-bladed lightsaber and practice maneuvers. My body is as strong as durasteel and as fluid as water. I shift from one position of attack to another. I fall on one knee and slash my lightsaber as I imagine cleaving my victim cleanly. I roll away and grip my lightsaber with both hands for a vertical sweep. I leap and twist and come down, leading with my left shoulder. I deliver a death blow and leap away, somersaulting in the air. I perform ten thousand slashes, lunges, attacks.

My lightsaber is no longer a separate weapon, but part of my arm. I move in the time it would take my opponent to blink. I move in the time he would take to raise his weapon. He would only see the space where I had been. He would feel the sudden shock of the blow that would knock him to the floor. I do these maneuvers a hundred times a day. I do them even though my body knows them intimately, even though I have not made a mistake or a misstep in years. I do them until the memory of the movement is part of the muscle itself. The goal of the Sith is to fight without thought.

Maul performs 10,000 manuvers daily, doing it 100 times a day and still able to do other tasks afterwards, such as sleep, eat, meditate, etc.

My rage is a torrent, a burning river. I leap, twist, keeping my weight on my good leg. My lightsaber is part of my body now, merciless, hard, cruel. I dance around him, slicing his arms, chest, shoulders. I want a thousand cuts to kill him. He falls facedown without a cry.

Here he cuts a Togorian a 1,000 times

The Sith and the Jedi leapt from the speeder bike onto the platform to continue their battle. The docking ledge was only about ten meters by fifteen, barely enough room to maneuver in. Maul knew he had to dispatch the Jedi quickly, before Pavan once again vanished into the labyrinth of Coruscant's downlevels. He pressed the attack viciously, blocking and thrusting, the twin radiant blades spinning a web of light about him.

Here Maul duels with Anoon Bondara, swinging his saber fast enough to form a web of light.

His eyes were hypnotic, their golden hue an eerie counterpart to the bloodred and black tattoos covering his face. But they did not prevent her from deflecting his strikes as he again moved within range, his twin blades spinning so fast they seemed to merge into a crimson shield.

Here with his movements he is able to form a shield.

Even without knowing anything else, Qui-Gon knew this man was trained in the fighting arts of a Jedi, a skilled and dangerous adversary. Worse, he was younger, quicker, and stronger than Qui-Gon, and he was gaining ground rapidly.

Here Qui-Gon notes that Maul is faster than he is. Qui-Gon who is able to deflect a curtain of fire while also forming a shield with his lightsaber.

Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Tiin, and Ki-Adi-Mundi surged from the pyramid entrance, engaging the terrorists that had driven them back. A quarter of the way across the immense plaza, the Jedi spread out in a wedge formation, their constantly moving blades fending off blaster bolts loosed from ahead and to either side. Behind the energy barrier fashioned by the lightsabers,Yaddle, Depa, Vergere, and two of the judicials raced out to divert fire from the rear.

Take note, this only takes place a year before TPM. So Qui-Gon didn't do this when he was younger, he did it when he was much older and he was still that fast with his saber.

Here shows more of Maul's reflexes/dextarity, being able to move agile enough to avoid a barrage of blaster fire.

So there you go, some TPM Maul feats. I don't know how well they would translate to TCW Maul...but seeing as it was asked of me, just throwing it out there.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Didn't Baas die by Kun's double blade? Like, wasnt that the only reason Kun could get past him?

And Kun & Maul are pretty similar when in combat. But then again, Maul doesnt have a double blade here.

Maybe Dual Wielding would produce a similar outcome though

Didn't Baas die by Kun's double blade? Like, wasnt that the only reason Kun could get past him?

And Kun & Maul are pretty similar when in combat. But then again, Maul doesnt have a double blade here.

We all know it's more than just Kun's double-blade lightsaber (which is a different weapon to Maul's altogether), but Maul isn't using the double-blade here. He has the single blade and the darksaber.

Though I do wonder how well Baas would do against Maul's dual-wielding. One could point to Kun's second duel with Baas to give the answer, but I have my theories concerning that duel. Perhaps Rayla can shed some light on that duel, and Baas' abilities in general.

Maul's technique was inspired by Kun.

And lets not forget when Padawan Kun defeated Baas with Jar'Kai.

I'd say Maul's got this.

We all know it's more than just Kun's double-blade lightsaber (which is a different weapon to Maul's altogether), but Maul isn't using the double-blade here. He has the single blade and the darksaber.

Though I do wonder how well Baas would do against Maul's dual-wielding. One could point to Kun's second duel with Baas to give the answer, but I have my theories concerning that duel. Perhaps Rayla can shed some light on that duel, and Baas' abilities in general.

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

There is the Kun vs Baas duel. Kun really just won by breaking the quaterstaff, not be really outskilling Baas(though you could argue by at that point Kun could do that anyway).

Maul I think could overpower Baas given his few strength feats that he has, or just outmanuver Baas utlizing his two sabers.

Personally I believe Baas is too much of a trained Jedi to counteract Maul.

Baas lacks adaptability, seems to only be able to combat things he has faced or prepared for before. And at that time, Saber Staves were rare, as was Dual Wielding, and those are things he hasnt prepared for.

Let's not even get in to Teras Kasi and Maul's radical changes to his fighting style. If Kun's style caught him off guard and got him killed, Maul, who based himself off Kun and added more in, would demolish him.

Mauls got this.

/thread :p

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

There is the Kun vs Baas duel. Kun really just won by breaking the quaterstaff, not be really outskilling Baas(though you could argue by at that point Kun could do that anyway).

Maul I think could overpower Baas given his few strength feats that he has, or just outmanuver Baas utlizing his two sabers.

I was referring to the duel when Kun was still a student, but those are helpful as well.

I want to throw this out there.

According to sourcebooks, DARTH TRAYA was 20% more Agile than Baas, and was able to take about 40% more brute force (Kicks, blasts etc) and... perhaps the most humiliating of all, was able to Bench 10kg more than Baas :D

Edit: I'm pretty sure this shows he'll be unable to keep up with Mauls INCREDIBLE strength, speed and agility.

Edited by Selenial

According to sourcebooks, DARTH TRAYA was 20% more Agile than Baas, and was able to take about 40% more brute force (Kicks, blasts etc) and... perhaps the most humiliating of all, was able to Bench 10kg more than Baas :D

Really? Dat healing factor! :p

Edit: I'm pretty sure this shows he'll be unable to keep up with Mauls INCREDIBLE strength, speed and agility.

Oh wow, oh wow. Where is that from? Edited by Beniboybling

Oh wow, oh wow. Where is that from?

Each roleplaying guide has numbered stats, and they're designed to all relate to each other no matter which sourcebook they came from. Trayas was Kotor campaign guide, Mauls I got from Threats of the Galaxy and Baas was the jedi academy Training manual.

Baas' Stats: Strenght 11, 110lbs in a military bench press, dexterity 15 and constitution of 13....

Mauls stats: Strength: 17, that's 170lbs in a military bench press, dexterity 19 and constitution of 16. Insanely fast, ridiculously tough.

There, we have Maul's superiority in blatantly simple numbers. :D

Each roleplaying guide has numbered stats, and they're designed to all relate to each other no matter which sourcebook they came from. Trayas was Kotor campaign guide, Mauls I got from Threats of the Galaxy and Baas was the jedi academy Training manual.

Baas' Stats: Strenght 11, 110lbs in a military bench press, dexterity 15 and constitution of 13....

Mauls stats: Strength: 17, that's 170lbs in a military bench press, dexterity 19 and constitution of 16. Insanely fast, ridiculously tough.

I don't have any of those guides. Can't argue with the numbers, I guess.

I figured, I never really understand half those stats, I mean what do the random numbers at the start before stuff like "Human Jedi" "Jedi Knight" "Sith Lord" - mean? And then we have that number next to Force power, everyone somewhat worth their salt seems to have an 8...