The BattleZone Round 2 Loser's Bracket Match 02: Vodo-Siosk Baas vs. Darth Maul

Aurbere

Welcome to Round 2 of The BattleZone! Our previous match saw Sora Bulq triumph over Sith Blademaster Kas'im. The second match of the Loser's Bracket pits legendary Weapon Master Vodo-Siosk Baas against the living weapon Darth Maul!

(You will probably notice the lack of a mentality category in this one. That's because Vodo Baas' mentality section would be written purely from vague memory, so I elected to omit that section.)

Lightsaber Skill:

Vodo-Siosk Baas:

Vodo-Siosk Baas was a Krevaaki weapon master and chief lightsaber combat instructor in the Order. He was likely a battlemaster, mastering each of the seven combat styles in order to effectively instruct his students. Though he was skilled in constructing lightsabers, Baas used a simple wooden quarterstaff imbued with the Force. His weapon was strong enough to shatter stone and, likely, break bones.

Vodo-Siosk Baas’ greatest student was the prodigious Exar Kun, who would eventually become the Dark Lord of the Sith. Baas eventually met his fallen student in battle on Coruscant. Though he was able to hold his own, the Sith bested him.

Darth Maul: (Darth Maul has the Darksaber on his person, should he need it)

After returning to the galactic stage, Darth Maul wielded a single red-bladed lightsaber. He is a master of Jar’Kai dual-blade combat, as well as Forms VI and VII, Niman and Juyo. Maul was a master of lightsaber combat, slaying several legendary Jedi Masters like Qui-Gon Jinn, Anoon Bondara, and Siolo’urmanka. His skills in lightsaber combat allowed him to briefly hold his own against Darth Sidious himself.

Maul generally focused on speed and aggression, wielding his lightsaber one-handed for quick strikes, reserving his second hand for punches, Force attacks, and if need be two-handed power attacks.

Edge: This was a difficult one to call. Based on pure skill, I would have to give the edge to Master Baas.

Physicality:

Vodo-Siosk Baas:

Vodo-Siosk Baas was an ancient Krevaaki. Krevaaki are a highly mobile species, thus Baas’ six tentacles allow for incredibly quick movement and fast recoveries. Baas also possesses highly advanced reflexes.

Darth Maul:

Darth Maul is a young Zabrak Male in his physical prime. He is agile, strong, and incredibly tough. As a Zabrak, Maul has a high tolerance for pain. Through sheer willpower, Maul survived being cut in half, though his mind fell into madness.

Maul was trained as a living weapon. Most of his training was dedicated to improving his physical prowess. He is a master of Teras Kasi, and his new cybernetic legs only improve the damage that his unarmed attacks can do.

Edge: A case such as this is a matter of speed vs. strength and durability. In this case, I don’t think an edge can be determined. But if I gave an edge, it would go to Maul, but only barely.

Force Abilities:

Vodo-Siosk Baas:

Vodo-Siosk Baas was a very powerful Jedi Master. Though many of his abilities were non-aggressive in nature, they were still quite powerful.

His affinity for Force-based telepathy was quite profound. He was capable of reaching across the galaxy to telepathically contact others. He was a powerful practitioner of Battle Meditation and can even internalize this ability using Battlemind, and ability that allows him to boost his own fighting capabilities.

Baas was able to use the Force to break through the Force Barriers of opposing Force users to telekinetically disarm them.

Baas was also able to use the Sever Force ability, but his use of it can be considered circumstantial.

Darth Maul:

Upon returning to the galaxy, Darth Maul found himself a more worthy vessel of the power of the dark side, thus many of his abilities were greatly enhanced, most notably his telekinetic abilities. He has shown the ability to move large shuttles and other objects, and has even used powerful Force Pushes to breach the Force Barriers of opposing Force users and proceed to toss them about. On the other hand, Maul’s own Force defenses were not capable of being breached by Force users of equal or greater power. Maul was also capable of very powerful Force Chokes.

Darth Maul also possessed the strong defenses against Force lightning and telepathy.

After his return, Maul showed far more willingness to use Force abilities in the middle of combat.

Edge: Though Vodo-Siosk Baas is a powerful Jedi Master, many of his abilities are passive. Darth Maul’s Force abilities are far more combative, so he gets the edge.

(Note that when I give the edge to someone, it is my opinion based on the evidence put in front of me)

So who will win? Who is truly superior?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Maul's got a better physicality than Vodo as well, and the Saber edge I'd say is null, neither would come out on top.

Maul's a ferocious Warrior, I'd see his incredible hatred for the Jedi fueling him as usual, but more so than than facing someone like Ventress. His skills in Dun-Moch could come in handy, though I'm not really knowledgeable on Baas, so I couldn't say.

Quite a tough match to call, though I see Maul's ability to switch seamlessly between styles, especially with 2 sabers, could throw him off balance. That, and his force powers excelled after his near death, seems very skilled at telekinetics and Force Grip... I'd give it to Maul.

Uhh.....wait, wait are we just using TCW Maul for this? Or all...because if the latter, I don't see how their saber skill is a tie, cause Maul should have more impressive feats with using a saber unless I have missed something with Baas that would put him on par with Maul. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

IMO, he was better with 2 than Dual-Blade....

He could have had a Dual Blade if he wanted.

Perhaps but I mostly have stuff in regards to him having a dual blade rather then a single. In which he has very impressive feats.

Of course since were just using TCW Maul, all those feats are pretty much null given I don't think with his cybernetic legs he could replicate what he has done before...unless he has shown to be faster than previously.

Will take this time to note though, TCW Maul is more powerful than TPM Maul, I'm just not sure if he is faster.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Perhaps but I mostly have stuff in regards to him having a dual blade rather then a single. In which he has very impressive feats.

Of course since were just using TCW Maul, all those feats are pretty much null given I don't think with his cybernetic legs he could replicate what he has done before...unless he has shown to be faster previously.

Yeh, I know what you mean...

Still, they're applicable I guess. And then we've got his duel with Sidious.

Uhh.....wait, wait are we just using TCW Maul for this? Or all...because if the latter, I don't see how their saber skill is a tie, cause Maul should have more impressive feats with using a saber unless I have missed something with Baas that would put him on par with Maul.

I gave Baas the edge based on pure skill (IE. mastery of Forms). Generally I try to stay away from decisions based on who-beats-who, especially when it comes to characters from different eras, or if the duels were circumstantial.

But like I said, the given edges are only my opinion.

I gave Baas the edge based on pure skill (IE. mastery of Forms). Generally I try to stay away from decisions based on who-beats-who, especially when it comes to characters from different eras, or if the duels were circumstantial.

Well seeing as were using just TCW Maul then I guess.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Personally I think Maul is the better saber duelist in combat but see what you mean in regards to forms, eras, etc.

Just wondering, who'd these two guys lose to in the first round?

Thanks big time

Maul only lost because Me and Rayla are raging Ventress Fangirls, as is Beni (:p). Beni went decoy as the primary maul supporter and switched at the last minute :D

Also it was TPM Maul. Succeptable to Dun Moch and all that.

We've seen TCW Maul demolish Ventress, we don't need a Battlezone to see that happening.

Go ahead and post what you know. I think it would be important here.

Were using TCW Maul though are we not? I don't think his TPM feats apply, considering he lost half his body. I'm not entirely sure he would be able to replicate what he did before...unless of course he has shown to be faster in TCW, I can't recall though.

Maul only lost because Me and Rayla are raging Ventress Fangirls, as is Beni (:p). Beni went decoy as the primary maul supporter and switched at the last minute :D

Also it was TPM Maul. Succeptable to Dun Moch and all that.

We've seen TCW Maul demolish Ventress, we don't need a Battlezone to see that happening.

Thanks for the info.

Wait a minute so the versions of Maul are switching? Given it was the TPM Maul that made it to this loser's bracket shouldn't it be TPM Maul that is considered again? I'll find it entertaining regardless but just asking for the sake of the "rules of the tournament"

Were using TCW Maul though are we not? I don't think his TPM feats apply, considering he lost half his body. I'm not entirely sure he would be able to replicate what he did before...unless of course he has shown to be faster in TCW, I can't recall though.

Yes we are using TCW Maul, but I think his previous feats apply (hence me including his victories over Jinn, Bondara, etc.).

Thanks for the info.

Wait a minute so the versions of Maul are switching? Given it was the TPM Maul that made it to this loser's bracket shouldn't it be TPM Maul that is considered again? I'll find it entertaining regardless but just asking for the sake of the "rules of the tournament"

Even though it didn't happen in the scenario, let's say Maul got cut in half by Ventress. We'll make it B-canon. :D

Yes we are using TCW Maul, but I think his previous feats apply (hence me including his victories over Jinn, Bondara, etc.).

I'm not entirely sure...plus he doesn't have his double bladed saber which is where some of his feats come from. Can I use those despite him not having his original saber here? Thing is I am skeptical on that, because he just has his single saber...I dunno...but am being dragged away so post shall come later.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

IMO, he was better with 2 than Dual-Blade....

He could have had a Dual Blade if he wanted.

But could he? I reckon the parts to construct a LS don't just lie around. Getting those on the black market would give him unwanted attention, and he had no reason to take the one his brother was using.

However, I always imagined that the blade Savage gives him is the intact half of his original one that he lost vs Kenobi, and he holds on to it because, as a reminder of his greatest loss, it helps him fuel his rage even more.

I also think that TPM feats should be considered even for TCW Maul, simply because he doesn't seem to have lost much. I reckon that at the time of his duel with Sidious on Mandalore, he could use his new legs just as well as his old ones, and his ability to actually keep up with Sidious longer than the Jedi accompanying Mace Windu seems to hint towards that.

Also, I always wonder - since the legs Mother Talzin makes for him are part mechanical and part dark side witchcraft, do they actually work more like his normal legs than a pure mechanical replacement would? Ah well, that's just speculation.

In this duel, I'd probably go with Maul, they are probably about equal in LS combat, but TCW Maul is willing to use the Force to an extent that would likely allow him to come out ahead.

Edited by Darkelefantos

But could he? I reckon the parts to construct a LS don't just lie around. Getting those on the black market would give him unwanted attention, and he had no reason to take the one his brother was using.

However, I always imagined that the blade Savage gives him is the intact half of his original one that he lost vs Kenobi, and he holds on to it because, as a reminder of his greatest loss, it helps him fuel his rage even more.

I also think that TPM feats should be considered even for TCW Maul, simply because he doesn't seem to have lost much. I reckon that at the time of his duel with Sidious on Mandalore, he could use his new legs just as well as his old ones, and his ability to actually keep up with Sidious longer than the Jedi accompanying Mace Windu seems to hint towards that.

Also, I always wonder - since the legs Mother Talzin makes for him are part mechanical and part dark side witchcraft, do they actually work more like his normal legs than a pure mechanical replacement would? Ah well, that's just speculation.

In this duel, I'd probably go with Maul, they are probably about equal in LS combat, but TCW Maul is willing to use the Force to an extent that would likely allow him to come out ahead.

I concur, in fact Maul adopted the saberstaff after experiencing the deficiencies of the single blade first hand, if he could have changed he would have.

Though I expect the reason he did not was due to writer preference, we've already got Savage with a double blade so better to have Maul with a single one - it also harks back to TPM when he blade was sliced in two.

However I'm afraid that latter theory is not the case. Maul simply used the remaining half of his severed lightsaber, Savage's double bladed weapon was a gift from his former master - Count Dooku.