The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Title - A Special Snowflake = pure genius

JimG

I'm so pleased you posted this. Not only is it the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard someone call another poster, I LOVE that it is now a title in-game!!!! I was LOL'ing IRL when I saw that title :D

It would be truly the best if it were only obtainable by others bestowing it.

"Well aren't you a special snowflake?"

Edited by DarthTHC

See this year it will be special snowflake, next year it will have to be "exclusive snowflake"

and then go back and change last years (this year) to "limited snow flake"

ok, that made me laugh out loud, even freaked out the dog.

that said, that title... I'm so using it on at least one character :p

yea the gaming industry is being destroyed by casuals

You're still here? For someone who hates this game so much, you sure love to hang around just to talk smack. I think someone is suffering from the "negative nancy" syndrome. Or, perhaps this is just part of your job as an "analyst in the MMO industry"? I can't help but to chuckle at the way your proclaimed that oh so casually as if it is some type of badge of honor.

Anyway, back to your post. Slam the "casuals" all you want but at least they are not on a fool's errand like many "hardcore" gamers. I have seen too many hardcore gamers who forget that MMOs are virtual environments with no tangible goods to be gained. One day the servers will shut down and that 249823575 hours you spent getting those BiS gears for your 384935 characters would become all for naught. All the raging in the world won't bring back those digital data and no one besides you will mourn over that loss either.

I have experienced all of this because I was one of those hardcore gamers many years ago but then I grew up and matured out of it. I still spend many hours a week on games but I no longer let getting the best gear or clearing the most impressive encounter dominate my gaming behavior and mindset. It is purely for entertainment and that is it.

One last thing. The gaming industry is driven by the "casuals". PwC conducted a "the evolution of video gaming" research survey last year and found that the average respondent spend an average of 7 hours a week playing console and PC games. Certain respondents categorized as "heavy gamers" by the survey spend an average of 13 hours a week using those devices. Most of these respondents would be classified as "casuals" by MMO standards which happens to put the casual vs hardcore line at somewhere around 20-24 hours per week. With that said, if you are a developer and wants your game to have mass market appeal and pull in non-traditional audience, catering to hardcore gamers would be the worst way to go about it. The gaming industry is a for-profit business first and foremost. It is not there to please hardcore gamers nor will it ever.

Quite frankly I am surprised you didn't know all of that despite your *analyst* role in the MMO industry. Ah well, must not be particularly good at your line of work.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

I forgot that corso had such a rifle meh. Okay well I want a or an

N3 - WelcomeBack ( code named N.E.W.B. ) Assault Cannon , now that would be the best.

DO it BW pls.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

I can't shake the feeling that if they just gave that title to the ce vendor that thread might finally die, to be honest I have a load of respect for them with that thread, if people wouldve done more like that thread for the other stuff shelfed the game might have been in a much better place. Edited by weejohnathon

You're still here? For someone who hates this game so much, you sure love to hang around just to talk smack. I think someone is suffering from the "negative nancy" syndrome. Or, perhaps this is just part of your job as an "analyst in the MMO industry"? I can't help but to chuckle at the way your proclaimed that oh so casually as if it is some type of badge of honor.

u cant tell me what i love, like, dislike and hate so plz stop trolling.

Anyway, back to your post. Slam the "casuals" all you want but at least they are not on a fool's errand like many "hardcore" gamers. I have seen too many hardcore gamers who forget that MMOs are virtual environments with no tangible goods to be gained. One day the servers will shut down and that 249823575 hours you spent getting those BiS gears for your 384935 characters would become all for naught. All the raging in the world won't bring back those digital data and no one besides you will mourn over that loss either.

no hardcore gamers play games a lot because tbey prob want to be the best, take it at a major league gaming level and get professional, etc. hardcore gamers know whats best for direction of games than causals and that's not debatable

I have experienced all of this because I was one of those hardcore gamers many years ago but then I grew up and matured out of it. I still spend many hours a week on games but I no longer let getting the best gear or clearing the most impressive encounter dominate my gaming behavior and mindset. It is purely for entertainment and that is it.

r u claiming that hardcore gamers aren't "mature"? you can't dictate wats entertainment for others, either I play at a hardcore & competitive level bc I aim to be the best - and thts wat I find fun

One last thing. The gaming industry is driven by the "casuals". PwC conducted a "the evolution of video gaming" research survey last year and found that the average respondent spend an average of 7 hours a week playing console and PC games. Certain respondents categorized as "heavy gamers" by the survey spend an average of 13 hours a week using those devices. Most of these respondents would be classified as "casuals" by MMO standards which happens to put the casual vs hardcore line at somewhere around 20-24 hours per week. With that said, if you are a developer and wants your game to have mass market appeal and pull in non-traditional audience, catering to hardcore gamers would be the worst way to go about it. The gaming industry is a for-profit business first and foremost. It is not there to please hardcore gamers nor will it ever.

citation required

Quite frankly I am surprised you didn't know all of that despite your *analyst* role in the MMO industry. Ah well, must not be particularly good at your line of work.

i've been on gaming magazines such as Game Informer, ur argument is invalid

u cant tell me what i love, like, dislike and hate so plz stop trolling.

Anyone who has read your posts lately can tell that you are extremely dissatisfied with TOR. This is called making an observation and if in fact you are actually enjoying TOR, you certainly have an unconventional way of showing it.

no hardcore gamers play games a lot because tbey prob want to be the best, take it at a major league gaming level and get professional, etc. hardcore gamers know whats best for direction of games than causals and that's not debatable

Except that they get no tangible reward out of being the "best" in a virtual MMO world. That is the topic at hand here and please do tell me if there is an actual "professional MMO gamers league"? I tried searching for it but has yet to locate such a profession.

r u claiming that hardcore gamers aren't "mature"? you can't dictate wats entertainment for others, either I play at a hardcore & competitive level bc I aim to be the best - and thts wat I find fun

Seeing as to how that there is no "professional MMO player league" where in-game actions have real life income and standard of living consequences, getting far too serious over virtual and intangible goods/accomplishments is exceptionally immature.

To that end, I'm not talking about getting upset over something that happened in the game. Humans are emotional creatures so that much is inevitable and can happen to nearly everyone. What I am referring to is the persistent "need to be uber and better than everyone else" or "e-peen" mindset that seems to plague many hardcore gamers. That is something which surpasses your run-of-the-mill competitive drive and in their over-zealousness they have failed to realize that MMO gaming is a never ending cycle. There will always be new content, the next game, so on and so forth just like a gigantic hamster wheel. Even worse, many hardcore gamers rotate real life activities around their "gaming schedule" as if that is their primary priority. Examples of this would be regularly playing all night even though there is work in the morning or shunning other real world responsibilities. Another example would be planning their meals around *raids* despite the health issues those irregular eating hours may cause. That type of mentality and behavior is completely juvenile and over time can have extremely negative real life consequences.

Yet we are supposed to accept their opinions as if it is the gospel? Not in a million years.

citation required

PwC research report.

With regards to the average amount of time MMO players spend playing on a weekly basis.

More on that same topic.

The reality is that somewhere along the lines of 20 hours per week is pretty much an industry accepted statistic when it comes to the amount of time your average MMO player spends in-game. The fact that you even needed citation for this really leads me to question your professional claim.

i've been on gaming magazines such as Game Informer, ur argument is invalid

Seriously, more baseless claims and boasts? Heck, I can do that too! I was on Bloomberg and CNBC back on 2009 and 2010 discussing the repercussions of the financial meltdown and the long term outlook of the global economy. Do you believe me? Good grief.

Edited by Oneirophrenia