Building a PC to run SWTOR on Ultra

Asden

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what the prices in your region are... so that is just the basics of building good and working one, not looking of budget.

First of all, stay away of AMD/ATI - there is issues with SWTOR (last patch and ATI again).

Generation old but very good - Asus z77 MB, i5 3750K (i7 is overkill here & game do not run well on hyper threaded cores so i5 is better), 8-16 GB RAM 1600, Nvidia 660TI (or above), SSD + HDD, last but not least - decent 600W PSU (minimum value, if you add other hardware may go for 650 or 700W) - cheap PSU is one of major issues with most "gaming" monsters.

Next - parts most of you miss... Clean Windows 7 or 8 installation, full patching, good antivirus (never had issues with Avast home freeware and SWTOR on Windows 7 x64), last stable drivers for all hardware... and most important full DirectX 9 redistributable from Microsoft.com (Windows Vista, 7 & 8 are DX 10 - 11 based and miss parts of DX9 - SWTOR is full DX9 game... missing part of DX9 = emulations = fps drops, low fps, hardware overload).

Do not download large files or torrents during play, avoid anything with large HDD activities... be careful with any bloatware vendor pre-load on PCs, do not click Yes on every pop-up you see in Internet... if you put OS & game on SSD - use Unleashed to create RAM drive for DiscCasheArena - it is SWTOR "swap" file and will ruin your SSD fast, same for Windows swap file - move it to HDD)

Don't skimp on the cpu, and set yourself up with a good amount (8gb+) of fast ram. Get a modular high quality power supply (corsair, antec are some good brands). Get a good quality case with plenty of room (full tower pref).

The motherboard/cpu, case and power supply are the things you want to be as future proof as possible. Video cards and hdd/ssd can easily be upgraded and you can always add more ram.

Edited by Marb

24 gigs (!?!?!) of RAM?

Do you play 6 games at once while doing video edits?

LOL for real. 24GB of ram is pointless unless you're doing some heavy workstation content creation. And on socket 1155 you'd be running single channel with that configuration anyway. You'd need 16GB or 32GB to run dual channel on that platform. So... why? :confused:

8GB of RAM is fine for 99% of people and you can spend the extra cash on a better GPU.

LOL for real. 24GB of ram is pointless unless you're doing some heavy workstation content creation. And on socket 1155 you'd be running single channel with that configuration anyway. You'd need 16GB or 32GB to run dual channel on that platform. So... why? :confused:

8GB of RAM is fine for 99% of people and you can spend the extra cash on a better GPU.

24 GB - 2x4GB (1 & 3 slot) + 2x8GB (2nd and 4th) = 24 GB working dual channel (if remember slotting correctly).

Sole idea of such configuration is to add 2x8GB to system with 2x4 ... to buy new one like that is something I don't get.

If you going to use this PC for anything above gaming, video, Internet & so on ... 8 GB are on the verge.

Single Photoshop file can eat them... or CAD/CAM one.

If not - 8 GB (2x4 for dual channeling) are pretty enough even with game swap on RAM drive.

24 (32) for SWTOR - game on RAM with Unleashed ... faster loading, lesser freezes due to slow hdd ... but game on SSD and DiscCasheArena on RAM drive - almost same result.

What ever you get here are some tips that could save you a few ££

Anything over 8GB of memory is a waste unless your planing doing video encoding , video recording or running a ram drive (which is pointless if you have an SSD) all while playing swtor, if your just gaming 8GB of memory is the sweet spot.

A quad core processor (i5) is also the sweet spot for gaming unless doing the things mentioned above there isn't any games out there that use more then 4 cores at the moment in fact there aren't many that fully utilize more then 2 physical cores,

The extra virtual cores on an i7 can actually reduce performance in "some" games like Arma2 although it's very minimal your basically going to get the same performance from an i5 as you will from an i7 when gaming.

Get an SSD, fps won't be hugely effected but loading times are massively reduced, not to mention overall system performance, make sure its a sata3 and your mother board supports that speed.

I don't use AMD processors but out of choice I'd take an intel K series as intel "slightly" edges out AMD on performance and power consumption although its pretty minimal and you can't argue with AMD's pricing,

The K series means it's fully unlocked for overclocking so you can easily overclock them for a free performance boost as raw grunt speed still has a major impact on gaming performance/fps amusing your graphics card is not **** and bottle necking your fps.

Graphics cards I think Nivida are currently offering the best GPUs although I have an AMD GPU myself :( just get the best you can afford maybe with the cash you could save with the above mentioned tips you could blow it on a better Nivida card.

Hope this helps

Edited by nkitch

24 GB - 2x4GB (1 & 3 slot) + 2x8GB (2nd and 4th) = 24 GB working dual channel (if remember slotting correctly).

Sole idea of such configuration is to add 2x8GB to system with 2x4 ... to buy new one like that is something I don't get.

Would that even boot? Sub timings would be complete a mismatch with different DIMM densities.

@OP

Don't waste money if it's exclusively to play SWTOR on ultra. The game is as heavily underoptimized as it was at launch. I will dare say that even if you get the best components you will still be capped by the heavy server lag that always was present.

Just my advice.

Would that even boot? Sub timings would be complete a mismatch with different DIMM densities.

DIMM densities are not an issue (high density is for servers after all if we speak for same thing), each DDR3 RAM module has to answer on one of standard timings - if you match them, it works like a charm.

Have same setup on DDR2 - 800 (2x2 + 2x1) and 0 issues with it.

@OP

Don't waste money if it's exclusively to play SWTOR on ultra. The game is as heavily underoptimized as it was at launch. I will dare say that even if you get the best components you will still be capped by the heavy server lag that always was present.

Just my advice.

Haters gone hate... but most of your issues are with your PCs or your networks.

So if OP has money and wish a new PC ... why to bash instead of help?

• 3 years later...
Im looking to build my own pc and run it on ultra with 60+fps without map shadowing lol i already have a montior mouse and keyboard so its just the machine i need help with and i dont do any streaming uploading of any videos aswell swtor is the only game i play im also looking to get it for 1000$ if it need to go that high but thats around what i would like to pay much help would be appreciated

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could run SWTOR on Ultra smoothly with 60 FPS on the Fleet.

SWTOR is very CPU intensive, especially in PvP and OPs, so you need a good CPU.

Currently a good setup is:

CPU: i5-6500/6600/6600K (The i5-6500 is worth the cost over the much slower i5-6400 and i3s. An i7 is of no benefit).

Motherboard: B150 or H170 based, or Z170 based if overclocking a "K" CPU. (I don't recommend an H110 mobo unless it's a budget build)

RAM: 16Gigs (2x 8Gigs) of DDR4-2133 or 2400 (Get 2 RAM sticks for dual-channel access)

Storage: Whatever you want/need. A single 500Gig SSD is enough for most people. Another option would be a 120 or 240 Gig SSD for OS and some games and a 1TB HDD for bulk storage.

Graphics: An RX 480 or GTX-1060 (for 1920x1080) If budget is tight, RX 470 or GTX-1050 Ti

Case: Whatever you like. Just make sure your motherboard fits the case. (ATX, mATX, ITX)

Power Supply: Corsair CX550M or similar. If budget is tight, CX450M

At this time, it may be worthwhile to wait for Kaby Lake or AMD's Ryzen.

For Kaby Lake:

An i3-7350K or i5- 7500/7600/7600K and B250, H270, or Z270 motherboard - but these are just speculative for now - at least until after CES

For Ryzen - who knows? (If Ryzen is even half decent I'll dump my current i5 :) )

P.S. - My current system is an i5-6600 and 16Gigs of DDR4-2133 on a Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wifi ITX motherboard in a Corsair 250D ITX case.

I'm currently using a CX650M power supply because I still run an older, power hungry, R9 390 graphics card.

Edited by JediQuaker

@OP

Just my advice.

Im looking to build my own pc and run it on ultra with 60+fps without map shadowing lol i already have a montior mouse and keyboard so its just the machine i need help with and i dont do any streaming uploading of any videos aswell swtor is the only game i play im also looking to get it for 1000$ if it need to go that high but thats around what i would like to pay much help would be appreciated

When building or upgrading a pc, I usually refer to tomshardware.com. They put together a cpu and gpu heirarchy chart. Use the charts to see what the best bang for your buck will be and go for that. You really don't need to spend anywhere close to a thousand bucks for swtor though. You could probably buy a 5 year old used pc and just add a graphics card, but it is fun to buy new hardware. USE THE CHARTS

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

im thinking about this build right here would this run swtor on max ultra settings smoothly on the fleet 60+frames per sec?

Processor Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 (BX80662I56600K)

Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060025-WW, Black

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X Ultra Gaming LGA 1151 DDR4 PCIEx16 USB TYPE-C 3.1 SATA6 CrossFire SLI ATX Motherboard

Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD Video Graphics Card

RAM Kingston Hyperx Fury - Ddr4 - 8 Gb : 2 X 4 Gb - Dimm 288-pin - 2666 Mhz / Pc4-21300 - Cl15 - 1.2 V

SSD Samsung 950 Pro MZ-V5P512BW 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0X4 SSD

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 750W, Fully Modular , EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty , Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply 220-P2-0750-X1

Computer Case BitFenix Pandora ATX Core Window Black

im thinking about this build right here would this run swtor on max ultra settings smoothly on the fleet 60+frames per sec?

Processor Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 (BX80662I56600K)

Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060025-WW, Black

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X Ultra Gaming LGA 1151 DDR4 PCIEx16 USB TYPE-C 3.1 SATA6 CrossFire SLI ATX Motherboard

RAM Kingston Hyperx Fury - Ddr4 - 8 Gb : 2 X 4 Gb - Dimm 288-pin - 2666 Mhz / Pc4-21300 - Cl15 - 1.2 V

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 750W, Fully Modular , EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty , Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply 220-P2-0750-X1

Most likely, though that graphics card is kind disproportionate to the rest of the system. I'd go for something cheaper, it won't really effect SWTOR (which is largely CPU bound)

I just built a pc last weekend and am running swtor on ultra and getting really great fps, even in warzones where I used to lag a little...

I7-5820k

PNY Geforce GTX 1070

Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB RAM

Asrock Fatal1ty x99 Killer Motherboard

Seagate 3TB HD

I just built a pc last weekend and am running swtor on ultra and getting really great fps, even in warzones where I used to lag a little...

I7-5820k

PNY Geforce GTX 1070

Seagate 3TB HD

max settings?

I7-5820k

PNY Geforce GTX 1070

Seagate 3TB HD

Please define great FPS, especially in WZs.

Server ping?

Also what screen resolution are you?

Pretty good setup.

The only thing I would do is OC the CPU to run at 4.0 ghz and turn off turbo boost so that it is always set at 4.0 ghz.

The reason for this is swtor is more CPU dependent than graphics dependent and it gains a big boost in performance from 4.0 ghz or higher.

If price is an issue, which it doesn't seem to be, you could drop the gtx1080 back to a gtx1070 and then get a i7 6700k CPU

Even with the highest gear, people don't always run swtor on ultra. It will depend on what you consider optimal performance vs graphics settings.

I play pvp which can take a hit in performance if you have shadows enabled.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Please define great FPS, especially in WZs.

Server ping?

Also what screen resolution are you?

55-60 fps in WZs, I mean, its not like 120 on ultra I can pull in BF4, but from where I was on my gaming laptop, 60 is great for this game... I just moved all my characters to Harby from Shadowlands, I was at about 28ms ping on Shadowlands consistently and am sitting at about 65-70ms on Harby... Playing at 1080...

Video card is overkill but you should be fine with that as long as you actually overclock that CPU otherwise it's pointless getting the cooling and the K series CPU.

55-60 fps in WZs, I mean, its not like 120 on ultra I can pull in BF4, but from where I was on my gaming laptop, 60 is great for this game... I just moved all my characters to Harby from Shadowlands, I was at about 28ms ping on Shadowlands consistently and am sitting at about 65-70ms on Harby... Playing at 1080...

That's not very good at all when I can get 200fps on medium settings and get 140fps on ultra but with shadows off.

i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz WC

Samsung SSD

16GB Ram

Sapphire RX 480 nitro

3 x 24" monitors @ 5760x1080

But only 220-320ms Ping :(

I would never sacrifice that much FPS in pvp just to have shadows.

Try OCing the CPU up to 4.0 ghz and see that boosts your FPS

Edited by TrixxieTriss

My old 550ti ran it at ultra very easily. You can probably build a PC tht will play SWTOR at ultra for around 400 bucks or less at cyberpower or something like that. Heck you can BUY a prebuilt one at costco for 299 that has a 760 in it and more than enough power to run SWTOR.

Now if you wanna run other stuff and newer games you're going to need a more powerful thing.