Is Evasion a penalty to Accuracy, or a saving throw?

HeatRacer

mmos never release the maths behind their games. Player would use the numbers as evidence of imbalance instead of claiming it on assumptions. Of course players still do tests to try to work out the coefficients but the devs dont want to make it easy for them.

Although I for obvious reasons can't be certain exactly how evasion works, I'm quite certain that it works, as by, lots of my dead on shots can miss a target at times (for some seconds), until they all start hitting. Pesky scouts with distortion.

The way I think and hope that it works, is that after the program has seen that the shot fired will collide with the target ship, then they do an accuracy vs evasion check for the chance to hit, then if it hits, it goes further to the damage calculation, what to hit and whatnot. My idea behind this assumption is that there's no need to run the "calculate_damage()" function (which hogs up resources) for every shot if it didn't hit. But if it's a straight check, ergo 95 % accuracy vs 30 % evasion would mean a 65 % for a well aimed shot to actually do damage, is anyones guess.

Also, as a reply to the thread author: Isn't your example the same thing? Assuming the enemy has 100 % accuracy at whatever range they were firing from, you in the end would on average take 20 % less shots, or did I miss something?

Edited by cvak

Pretty sure it's substracted from accuracy. Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to have accuracy values above 100%, would it ?

And no this isn't the sam thing.

To take OP's example, with 90% accuracy and 20% evasion.

If evasion is a penalty to accuracy, the shot has 90%-20%=70% chance to hit

If evasion is a saving throw the shot has 90%x80%=72%chance to hit

But if it is a saving throw, then what is the use of some weapons having > 100 accuracy? The only reason for above 100 accuracy in anything would be to negate any defensive effects, such as defence of mobs in PvE, or now evasion in GS. Or?

Pretty sure it's substracted from accuracy. Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to have accuracy values above 100%, would it ?

And no this isn't the sam thing.

To take OP's example, with 90% accuracy and 20% evasion.

If evasion is a penalty to accuracy, the shot has 90%-20%=70% chance to hit

If evasion is a saving throw the shot has 90%x80%=72%chance to hit

Indeed, that's my assumption as well.

My question, however, is whether or not Evasion counts when locking missiles. The reason I ask is that frequently when trying to get a lock, the lock resets itself for no apparent reason (and is clearly NOT when the target uses the lock breaking ability). The target can be well within the missile arc limits, but the lock just stops, then you try again and this time it works.

My theory is that this could be evasion at work, and there are some hidden evasion rolls going on while locking, so it is possible for a lock to fail in that way.

Maybe, there's no way to really know without some very thorough testing.

mmos never release the maths behind their games. Player would use the numbers as evidence of imbalance instead of claiming it on assumptions. Of course players still do tests to try to work out the coefficients but the devs dont want to make it easy for them.

but they release game mechanics and explain them to players (tooltipps, tutorials)

but BW failed to do this for the galactic starfighter content. while we can do assumptions on how things work based on how they're called, we can't rely on these assumptions.

(evasion vs. accuracy is a minor problem for me, im much more interested in knowing how sensor range, sensor focus and sensor dampening actually work)

but they release game mechanics and explain them to players (tooltipps, tutorials)

but BW failed to do this for the galactic starfighter content. while we can do assumptions on how things work based on how they're called, we can't rely on these assumptions.

(evasion vs. accuracy is a minor problem for me, im much more interested in knowing how sensor range, sensor focus and sensor dampening actually work)

Senor range, focus, and dampening have been tested/played around with in the beta.

Dampening reduces the range at which an enemy can detect you.

Range increases the range at which you can detect enemies.

Focus increases the range at which you can detect enemies in a frontal cone around your starfighter(basically more vision in the direction you're facing).

I find it unlikely they wrote entirely new game mechanics when the engine already supports stuff like this. It's just an assumption, but I would think they added enhancements to the existing combat system to support new mechanics. I assume accuracy = accuracy and evasion = defense, then we follow the same rules as normal pvp. We all even have a shield stat with bleed through being the absorb percentage. Again, all assumptions, but it makes more sense to use the existing engine instead of writing an entirely new combat workflow.

EDIT: I also do not think that missiles care about evasion, which could mean something as simple as damage type or being a special attack.

Edited by Korse

I can't say how evasion works exactly but just wanted to note something before we get too much tunnel vision. For accuracy values greater than 100% remember there is still tracking accuracy. It's possible they go over 100% to offset tracking penalties.

I can't say how evasion works exactly but just wanted to note something before we get too much tunnel vision. For accuracy values greater than 100% remember there is still tracking accuracy. It's possible they go over 100% to offset tracking penalties.

Pretty sure this is the exact reason. Take the Burst Laser on my Sting for example. At 500m it has 117% accuracy, a 34 degree arc of fire and has a .5% tracking penalty per degree. So at point blank it has 100% accuracy at the edge of its firing arc. I doubt that is coincidence.

Back on topic; I am unsure how it works but I know it is effective. I stack evasion (41% on the Sting), have a 10 second cooldown on Retro Thrusters, and a 20 second cooldown on Distortion talented to break locks, and I know I am a PITA to hit considering I accidentally kill myself more often than I am shot down.

Back on topic; I am unsure how it works but I know it is effective. I stack evasion (41% on the Sting), have a 10 second cooldown on Retro Thrusters, and a 20 second cooldown on Distortion talented to break locks, and I know I am a PITA to hit considering I accidentally kill myself more often than I am shot down.

How'd you achieve 41% Evasion on your Sting (assuming you meant passive total)? I got 15% from Distorion Field, 10% from Lightweight Armor, and 6% from my Ashara for a total of 31% that I could passively add.

How'd you achieve 41% Evasion on your Sting (assuming you meant passive total)? I got 15% from Distortion Field, 10% from Lightweight Armor, and 6% from my Ashara for a total of 31% that I could passively add.

I have the same bonuses, but the Sting has a default 10% evasion bonus. At the ship selection screen if you select your ship and look to the stats on the right it will show as 41% evasion.

You're absolutely right. They don't release formulas or the raw numbers behind stats (it's up to theorycrafting players to do that) but they usually at least explain what each stat's effect is on the game (in general terms) and how they interact with each other. At least give a tooltip when you mouse over the stat. They haven't done that in GSF yet, hopefully they'll add that in time. After all, we're the preview players, we're in what is almost a final beta.

I have the same bonuses, but the Sting has a default 10% evasion bonus. At the ship selection screen if you select your ship and look to the stats on the right it will show as 41% evasion.

I agree with KountryGrammer, I think for the Scout with it's innate Evasion, and access to Distortion Field that stacking Evasion is the best way to increase your effective HP. My FlashFire is specced out the same way. The active for Distortion Field can increase Evasion by 75% for 6 seconds. Between that and the large energy pool/regen rate of the Scout it makes for surprisingly high survivability if you're just comparing shield/hp numbers between ships.

Edited by K_osss