Foils & GSF

TrinityLyre

So there's a handful of ships in GS that look like they could have their foils (S-foils? They're open in the trailers while attacking) opened. The most notable one is the S-12 Blackbolt. If you look at the skin of the fighter itself it looks like the cut-out of the foils is already there, and if you preview the SI-01 Imperial Scout Paint Job in the Cartel Market it actually shows the ship (which looks like an S-12) with foils opened. Was there a plan at some point to allow them to open, or are these foil-open versions going to be new ships? It would add more to playing the various starfighters to have foils open and close while changing engine speed, turning rate, firepower or something of the sort.

Just my 2c.

I've been wondering the same exact thing since I began playing. The SR-12 is just about the only ship that I use, given it's 'Iconic' appearance when concerned with the Sith Empire, and I've even striven to outfit the ship with equipment to maintain that appearance. It's really such a small and inconsequential detail to not have those foils deployed, but if I were able to have them as such I do not think I would ever have a complaint in regards to Galactic Starfighter.

I mean really though, in the trailers and released artwork, it has them deployed! Let us!

That's what I thought, too. When I went through the different customization options for weaponry I found a laser cannon identical to the one in the preview that the S-12 can already use: "Laser Cannon." It has the same fire rate in both previews and the same design, but the foils are not present regardless of which customization you preview. Here's a screenshot of the S-12 and the SI-01 Imperial Scout Paint Job preview side-by-side:

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7553/dkld.jpg

The aesthetic portion of it is a small thing, sure. But imagine what it could be if implemented properly? X-Wing/TIE Fighter and other previous games (Rogue Squadron) implemented it in a way that was interesting.

If they're different ships they may want to remove the previews of ships that don't exist or are unable to look the way they do in the preview. It is a cartel coin purchase, after all.

Edited by TrinityLyre

That's what I thought, too. When I went through the different customization options for weaponry I found a laser cannon identical to the one in the preview that the S-12 can already use: "Laser Cannon." It has the same fire rate in both previews and the same design, but the foils are not present regardless of which customization you preview. Here's a screenshot of the S-12 and the SI-01 Imperial Scout Paint Job preview side-by-side:

The aesthetic portion of it is a small thing, sure. But imagine what it could be if implemented properly? X-Wing/TIE Fighter and other previous games (Rogue Squadron) implemented it in a way that was interesting.

I completely agree with this please give us S foils and some more Iconic looking ships I feel the poor imps have nothing attractive aside from the ship being discussed now

If they're different ships they may want to remove the previews of ships that don't exist or are unable to look the way they do in the preview. It is a cartel coin purchase, after all.

I actually spent the 240 cartel coins on the paint scheme, hoping it'd unlock the foils.. No such luck.

I think it would be awesome if the foils opened while you were holding down space bar for maximum speed, then folded when you let go/run out of engine energy; or perhaps have them open when you're holding down W for max "normal" (non-boosted) speed, and whenever you're not holding down W, they fold.

Might we see something like this at some point?

I think it would be awesome if the foils opened while you were holding down space bar for maximum speed, then folded when you let go/run out of engine energy; or perhaps have them open when you're holding down W for max "normal" (non-boosted) speed, and whenever you're not holding down W, they fold.

Might we see something like this at some point?

Well, flip it around - strike foils should be open for combat and fold for high speed cruising - but totally a good idea. I'd love to see the blackbolt and the republic scout have folding s-foils, and maybe the republic striker too, and boosting is a great time to have em fold.

Well, flip it around - strike foils should be open for combat and fold for high speed cruising - but totally a good idea. I'd love to see the blackbolt and the republic scout have folding s-foils, and maybe the republic striker too, and boosting is a great time to have em fold.

That would be awesome, and would definitely add to immersion. Maybe add a penalty to accuracy when firing with strike foils closed, too.

Errr, the ship on the CM display window is the Sting.

As far as I can tell, the Blackbolt doesn't look like it has S-foils.

Errr, the ship on the CM display window is the Sting.

As far as I can tell, the Blackbolt doesn't look like it has S-foils.

You're correct, the actual icon for the purchase is the S-13 Sting with the spiffy paint job. The preview, however, is the S-12 or something that looks near-identical to it. I have a screenshot posted earlier in this thread of the issue. The gunship paint job actually seems to have the same problem - there needs to be some consistency I think.