The BattleZone! Round 2 Loser's Bracket Match 01: Kas'im vs. Sora Bulq

Aurbere

Welcome to Round 2 of The BattleZone! Here thirty-two of the galaxy's best Force users and lightsaber masters are pitted against each other to decide who is the deadliest combatant. Though Round 1 culled the weak from the strong, the loser's have been moved to a Loser's Bracket and the winner of this bracket will go on to have a second chance at becoming the galaxy's deadliest Force user!

Our first match pits two renowned swordmasters against each other in a duel to the death.

Arena:

The BattleZone is a durasteel dome structure on Nal Hutta. Using advanced climate and atmospheric control devices from Dorin, the Hutts have transformed the area within the dome from a swampy wetland into a dusty wasteland. The bones of The BattleZone's victims, sentients and beasts, litter the ground. At the center of the arena is a raised mound where the two combatants will start their battle.

Those who relied on the environment or fancy tricks to win their battles will be forced to rely only on their skills to gain victory.

Lightsaber Skill:

Kas’im:

Kas’im was considered to be one of the finest swordsmen in the galaxy. He devoted himself to lightsaber combat fully, striving to master every movement of every Form. As such, he was a master of all seven Forms of lightsaber combat, and was well-versed in dual-wielding and the usage of double-bladed lightsabers.

Kas’im engaged opponents with his double-bladed lightsaber, but if his opponent proved too difficult, he would reveal the paired function of his weapon, halving his weapon to produce two lightsabers. His fighting style would then transition to Ataru’s dual-wielding variant.

Sora Bulq:

Sora Bulq was considered to be one of the Jedi Order’s finest swordsmen and one of the greatest lightsaber instructors in its history. His influence in the Order was vast and he had a hand in training hundreds of Jedi in lightsaber combat.

Bulq dedicated himself to lightsaber combat. As such, he was a master of all seven Forms, as well as the experimental Forms developed by the Order. Sora Bulq’s renown in the Order led Jedi Master Mace Windu to select him as the man to help him refine Vaapad. Windu later commented that Bulq’s knowledge of the Form was just as great as his own. However, Bulq’s insurrection would lead Windu to correct himself, stating that he should not have exposed Bulq to Vaapad. While Bulq’s secret fascination with Vaapad led him to embrace the dark side, thus fail to master the Form’s mental aspect, he has mastered the Form’s lightsaber sequences.

Sora Bulq was a master of Jar’Kai dual-blade combat, but he was not at a loss without his off-hand shoto. His skills in both dual-wielding and single blade combat were equal. After his fall to the dark side was complete, Sora Bulq’s fighting style was very animalistic and embraced the concepts of Juyo fully, complete and unstoppable offense.

However, Bulq remained a master duelist and was more than able to fight Mace Windu on equal terms.

Edge: As both of them are renowned swordsmen and lightsaber instructors, they are very close in terms of raw skill. But Sora Bulq has one advantage that Kas’im lacks: Vaapad. Overall, Bulq is the superior duelist.

Physicality:

Kas’im:

Kas’im is an aging Twi’lek male, but he shows no sign of physical detriment.

Sora Bulq:

Sora Bulq is a Weequay male. His Weequay hide is very tough to the point that he can take lightsaber wounds to the throat without being greatly injured.

Edge: Sora Bulq’s Weequay physiology gives him the edge.

Mentality:

Kas’im:

Kas'im was a calm, tactical lightsaber duelist.

Sora Bulq:

Sora Bulq’s fall to the dark side twisted his mind. He developed a thirst for bloodshed and a desire to make others suffer. He purposefully prolonged his duel with Spymaster Tholme to make him suffer.

He was skilled in using misdirection to get the jump on others. During the Saleucami Siege, Bulq used Anzati assassins to distract Jedi Master Oppo Rancisis so that he could assassinate him. However, Bulq was generally single-minded, generally focused on his opponent more than anything else, though he did try to keep himself aware of other things around him.

Sora Bulq was also a capable user of Dun Moch, a method of psychological warfare that was focused on off-balancing opponents by taunting them. He showed this in several of his duels, including those against Spymaster Tholme and Mace Windu.

Edge: Though Sora Bulq is capable of some tactical ingenuity, he is focused far more on inflicting pain on his opponent. Kas’im is likely to be the smarter duelist, so he gets the edge.

Force Abilities:

Kas’im:

Kas’im’s focus was on lightsaber combat, but he developed the basic techniques of the Force such as physical augmentation and defense against enemy Force attacks.

Sora Bulq:

Sora Bulq’s peers considered him to be a very powerful master, even as powerful as Mace Windu. However, his displays with the Force were rather basic, usually only simple Force Pushes to telekinetically assault his opponents. Though he did this often, even against Mace Windu, his Force Barriers were not very strong. On more than one occasion, his opponent has simply put him down with a powerful application of the Force.

Edge: Sora Bulq may not have strong Force Barriers, but they have only been broken by some of the most powerful Force users of his era, and his own Force Pushes have been strong enough to break the Force defenses of the powerful Mace Windu. Sora Bulq’s proclivity for implementing powerful Force Pushes in combat gives him the edge.

(Note that when an edge is given, it is solely my opinion.)

Thoughts: Any further information of Kas'im in regards to his tactical ability would be greatly appreciated (as his mentality description is mainly my assumption based off of memory).

So who will win? Who is truly superior?

Edited by Aurbere

I might have to give the win to Sora, because I don't recall anything impressive for Kas'im in the way of dueling other than fighting against Bane.

Whereas for Sora...he was able to fight against Mace and their duel ended with Mace using Force Push and leaving, so the duel was rather inconclusive. I mean still though it's impressive regardless that Sora was able to fight Windu in such a manner even if you take that as a loss, he also bested Vos really and Vos only winning through some clarity thing or what have you and also help from Alaya(IIRC).

The Force I don't see being used much here for either opponents, given they don't really seem to use it all that much. So it could very well just come down to straight dueling imo.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I might have to give the win to Sora, because I don't recall anything impressive for Kas'im in the way of dueling other than fighting against Bane.

Whereas for Sora...he was able to fight against Mace and their duel ended with Mace using Force Push and leaving, so the duel was rather inconclusive. I mean still though it's impressive regardless that Sora was able to fight Windu in such a manner even if you take that as a loss, he also bested Vos really and Vos only winning through some clarity thing or what have you and also help from Alaya(IIRC).

The Force I don't see being used much here for either opponents, given they don't really seem to use it all that much. So it could very well just come down to straight dueling imo.

Sora Bulq does use the Force quite frequently. I didn't complete my research on him, but I believe he uses Force Pushes in almost every one of his duels.

Either way, I agree that this would be mainly a lightsaber duel.

Sora Bulq does use the Force quite frequently. I didn't complete my research on him, but I believe he uses Force Pushes in almost every one of his duels.

Either way, I agree that this would be mainly a lightsaber duel.

Well still, yeah seems to me it'll come down to a saber duel which I think Sora could win given his use of Vapaad and among other things. Not saying Vapaad is an insta-win thing against a Darkside user, but it'll help.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well still, yeah seems to me it'll come down to a saber duel which I think Sora could win given his use of Vapaad and among other things. Not saying Vapaad is an insta-win thing against a Darkside user, but it'll help.

It certainly does help, though I'm not entirely sure Bulq would win.

Some points about Kas'im:

Kas'im have a feat of slaughtering a large rancor with just his martial expertise or combat prowess. Rancors are very difficult to kill even with a lightsaber, specially from close distance.

In addition, Kas'im is very good on defensive front. He tanked a telekinetic blast of power (aimed for him) which caused an old building to collapse or some portion of it. However, Kas'im was unfortunate to be inside the building during this moment and ended up crushed by debris.

Kas'im have decent offensive capability as well since he was able to send Bane packing with his blast of power. Keep in mind that Bane was already a powerful Force-user at this point; even Lord Kaan was a weakling in comparison to him.

Therefore, Kas'im was possibly the strongest Sith in the Brotherhood.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Some points about Kas'im:

Kas'im have a feat of slaughtering a large rancor with his martial expertise or combat prowess. Rancors are very difficult to kill even with a lightsaber.

In addition, Kas'im is very good on defensive front. He tanked a telekinetic blast of power aimed for him which caused a building to collapse. However, Kas'im was unfortunate enough to be inside the building during this moment.

Kas'im have decent offensive capability as well since he was able to send Bane packing with his blast of power. Keep in mind that Bane was already a powerful Force-user at this point; even Lord Kaan was a weakling in comparison to him.

Therefore, Kas'im was possibly the strongest Sith in the Brotherhood.

Well Luke killed a rancor with nothing but a rock and a gate. :p Lol, but ya I suppose that is impressive.

I just mainly seeing this come down to a saber duel really though, the fact along that Sora was able to fight against Mace for a length of time(before the duel ended by a Force Push) is impressive, among also that he was only defeated because Vos reached some clarity noise with the help of Alaya.

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/1/322/321317/Mace_Windu_vs_Sora_Bulq_part_4.JPG

Sora even got a Force Push in on Windu as they were fighting.

Fighting a rancor is different from fighting another Force user. Unless said rancor is composed of cortosis, carries a cortosis blade and ultrachrome shield. :p

Hush, you just gave an idea to authors to add more absurdity to the mythos. :D

Anyways, this feat is indicative of how brave, quick, ruthless and versatile Kas'im can be in combat situations. In short, mindset can be an important determinant.

Here is detail:

From Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction:

Almost ten kilometers in-he’d been jogging for nearly an hour-the Blademaster finally encountered his first rancor. The trail took a sharp turn to the east, and as he wound around the corner the creature burst from the

surrounding trees, snarling and howling.

Kas’im wasn’t surprised in the least by the ambush. He’d sensed the rancor’s presence from several hundred meters away, just as it had surely caught his scent and stalked him from some great distance. He met the creature’s charge with calm, ruthless efficiency.

Ducking under the first swiping claw, he carved a deep gash along the beast’s left foreleg. When it reared back to bellow in pain, he sliced another deep groove in its soft underbelly. The rancor didn’t fall right away; it was far too massive to be felled by a pair of wounds from a lightsaber. Instead the pain drove it into a berserk rage. It flailed about with its teeth and talons, spinning, snapping, and slashing at everything around it. Kas’im twisted and dodged, leaping over one attack, then dropping to the ground to roll beneath another. He moved so fast he would have been nothing but a blur had the rancor not been blinded by rage. And with each evasion he struck another blow, whittling away at the mountain of sinew and flesh like a master sculptor working a lump of lommite.

The rancor floundered, lumbering and stumbling as if it were performing some drunken spacer’s dance. In contrast, Kas’im was quick and precise. With each passing second his opponent slowed, its strength ebbing away. At last, with a forlorn groan, the beast toppled forward and lay motionless.

I admit, I have never felt pity for a Rancor before. :D

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

Hush, you just gave an idea to authors to add more absurdity to the mythos. :D

Anyways, this feat is indicative of how brave, quick, ruthless and versatile Kas'im can be in combat situations. In short, mindset can be an important determinant.

Here is detail:

From Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction:

Almost ten kilometers in-he’d been jogging for nearly an hour-the Blademaster finally encountered his first rancor. The trail took a sharp turn to the east, and as he wound around the corner the creature burst from the

surrounding trees, snarling and howling.

Kas’im wasn’t surprised in the least by the ambush. He’d sensed the rancor’s presence from several hundred meters away, just as it had surely caught his scent and stalked him from some great distance. He met the creature’s charge with calm, ruthless efficiency.

Ducking under the first swiping claw, he carved a deep gash along the beast’s left foreleg. When it reared back to bellow in pain, he sliced another deep groove in its soft underbelly. The rancor didn’t fall right away; it was far too massive to be felled by a pair of wounds from a lightsaber. Instead the pain drove it into a berserk rage. It flailed about with its teeth and talons, spinning, snapping, and slashing at everything around it. Kas’im twisted and dodged, leaping over one attack, then dropping to the ground to roll beneath another. He moved so fast he would have been nothing but a blur had the rancor not been blinded by rage. And with each evasion he struck another blow, whittling away at the mountain of sinew and flesh like a master sculptor working a lump of lommite.

The rancor floundered, lumbering and stumbling as if it were performing some drunken spacer’s dance. In contrast, Kas’im was quick and precise. With each passing second his opponent slowed, its strength ebbing away. At last, with a forlorn groan, the beast toppled forward and lay motionless.

I admit, I have never felt pity for a Rancor before. :D

Well, it's still a Rancor. I feel my point stands.

But a bit off-topic. I assume you own Path of Destruction so, if it isn't a bother, would you be willing to PM me the Kas'im/Bane duel so that I can properly assess Kas'im's combat abilities? (Just in case he makes it to the next round)

Edited by Aurbere

Well, it's still a Rancor. I feel my point stands.

But a bit off-topic. I assume you own Path of Destruction so, if it isn't a bother, would you be willing to PM me the Kas'im/Bane duel so that I can properly assess Kas'im's combat abilities? (Just in case he makes it to the next round)

PM sent.

In their duel Bane had a good idea how to deal with Kas'im's double-bladed saber due to his ambition to fight his rival who used a double-bladed saber, "Bane had seen every possible sequence, series, move, and trick with the double-bladed lightsaber, and he knew how to counter and nullify them all." [PoD, p. 292]. So Bane was really ready to fight against Kas'im using that method. However, when Kas'im stopped using the double-bladed saber he had Bane completely on the defensive, "Within the first few passes Bane knew he couldn't win", and he did block a Force Push by Bane that destroyed the front of the temple. "There was nothing subtle about Bane's attack: the massive shockwave shook the very foundations of the great Rakatan temple. The concussive blast had enough power to shatter every bone in Kas'im's body and pulverize his flesh into a mass of pulpy liquid. But at the last possible instant he threw up a shield to protect himself from the attack." [p. 294] He hit Kas'im with a massive Force Push which he had been gathering the power for while Kas'im was telling him he would hunt him down and kill him. The temple collapsing around him killed him. Edited by LordQordisz

Has it been brought up yet that Kas'im deliberately discouraged students from learning dual wielding or saber staff? *though it did happen on occasion* If i remember correctly, he did this so that if he ever had to face one of his students in battle he would be able to quickly and efficiently kill them.

It also should be noted that Kas'im's master was briefly mentioned to have been a great blade wielder as well, and that Kas'im defeated him in a saber duel after he had learned everything that he had to teach him *typical sith style*.

During the battle with Darth Bane i feel it is important to remember that when Kas'im pushed the offensive he was able to catch Bane with his shield down and hurl him down the stairs. While Bane was not quite in his prime at this time, he still was considerably strong, strong enough to just casually kill one of the other Sith Lords when he returned to the camp. Can't remember the name of him atm.

I would post some details for Sora Bulq as well to keep this post balanced...but sadly I do not know much about Sora.

Edited by Silenceo

Something to take into account:

Kas'im's loss to Bane while not utilizing jar'kai was specifically credited to Bane's superior raw power, not skill. While Bulq is no doubt powerful, I believe Bane's own raw power is superior, and therefore Bulq wouldn't get a definitive edge in a lightsaber duel due to that.

Something to take into account:

Kas'im's loss to Bane while not utilizing jar'kai was specifically credited to Bane's superior raw power, not skill. While Bulq is no doubt powerful, I believe Bane's own raw power is superior, and therefore Bulq wouldn't get a definitive edge in a lightsaber duel due to that.

Bane had to let the Force guide his blade because he didn't possess the same skill that Kas'im did. Bulq, on the other hand, is arguably a superior duelist to Kas'im.

Alright, I feel comfortable with revealing the victor of this match.

They are both master duelists, dedicated to lightsaber combat. However, Kas'im failed to hone his Force abilities, his greatest strength became a severe weakness. Sora Bulq, on the other hand, has no issue with telekinetically thrashing his opponents. His Force Pushes have been strong enough to break the defenses of even Mace Windu, one of the most powerful Jedi of the era.

Generally they seem very close, but Sora Bulq holds all of the important cards, especially Vaapad. There is little doubt in my mind that this would be primarily a lightsaber duel, but Bulq's sheer aggression and eventual use of his Force abilities would overwhelm Kas'im.

Sora Bulq is the winner

Stay tuned for the next match when Vodo-Siosk Baas and Darth Maul enter The BattleZone!