Do companions ever initiate romances, or does the player have to start them?

Noviere

This may be a weird question... But as the subject says, do your companions ever hit on the player without the player first initiating it?

I ask because my female Sith Warrior doesn't seem like the type who would start making cheeky comments to Malavai without him first showing interest in her. If I don't use any of the Flirt options, will I still be able to romance him at some point? Will he approach my character at some point and say he has feelings for her? Or should I just bite the bullet and hit all the Flirt options to make sure they end up together?

Edited by Noviere

It depends on the companion, I think. Although none of them actually flirt with you unless you [Flirt] with them first.

Kaliyo, for example, kind of lets you know she's interested but you can only initiate the flirting if you choose the dialogue option.

I don't have a female warrior, so I don't know about Quinn but I'd guess he's a rather shy person and you should make the first move :p

Edited by TheNahash

Iresso flirts with the consular. Can't remember the exact words, but at some point (and I've hit exactly 0 [flirt]s, since my jedi is not flirting with anyone at all) Iresso says something and you have to answer it with [flirt], [flirt] or "I don't feel comfortable with this".

Nadia Grell starts it with male consular. I never picked one single flirt option and didn't realize what she was doing before it was too late and no matter what option I chose, I couldn't get out of it and they ended up getting married :(

Nadia wanted comfort sex, basically.

AFAIK, the companion will flirt with you no matter what you do, but the romance will not truly get underway unless you do something, and they will at least partially stop if you turn them down. Word on the forums in that most companions have a "trigger" conversation, and if you don't select the flirt option there, then the romance won't happen, no matter what you select after that. On the flip side, if you do flirt there, the romance will proceed no matter what you do or say afterwords. While I can't confirm this, it does fit with what I've experienced. I don't know what the specific conversations are, you'll have to look elsewhere. Edited by Mirdthestrill