Omg starfighter is so fun!!!!

MallocV

I have to say, I'm having a blast. But... I'm ready for more maps and different types of matches.
Me too. At least learning how to use cover versus the different ship weapon types will keep it fresh for awhile. My nemesis is railguns. But I'm starting to figure out how to evade them. Just can never seem to LoS the shooter, even using "R" to target them. At least I'm averaging 3+ kills and 100 or so objective points per match. Two new maps and two more match types (Huttball in space?) would be a great Christmas present. :D

Me too. At least learning how to use cover versus the different ship weapon types will keep it fresh for awhile. My nemesis is railguns. But I'm starting to figure out how to evade them. Just can never seem to LoS the shooter, even using "R" to target them. At least I'm averaging 3+ kills and 100 or so objective points per match. Two new maps and two more match types (Huttball in space?) would be a great Christmas present. :D

You want a Sensor Dampening Scout ship to best counter Gunships.

Oh, forgot to mention...From what I've read, the next 'mode' of play involves each side taking turns defending/attacking a capitol ship of the opposite faction. When it's your turn to attack, you do your best to close in on an enemy capitol ship and do your best to blow it up via weak spots while the enemy is doing its level best to blow you out of the sky before you can kill their ship. Then it's your turn to do the defending.

That's right, Pubs...You get a chance to blow up a Star Destroyer.

Edited by Infernixx

Me too, I'm having a ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets deleted.

"Omg starfighter is so fucnfun"...really? If the title was "Omg starfighter is so fucnboring" it would have been reported ad-infinitum and crushed out of existence within minutes. Dual-standard I guess. :rolleyes:

I don't think most people have noticed the cussing.

I don't think most people have noticed the cussing.

Lol yeah. Because it's a pro-game thread. Like I said, if it was a bashing thread, someone would have immediately reported it and all the posts would have focused on that. I just find the dual-standard kind of funny.

Well, I disagree with the majority of the posts. This is 2013-2014. This update would have been terrific 10-12 years ago.

I agree that we all have presupposed ideas on what we were getting. I guess my take on it was that is was going to be innovative and exciting.

There is no flight model. As an ex-flight simmer I know that's expecting too much so wont comment on it.

The feeling of floating forward as opposed to jetting through space is too high. The controls, the way the plane is piloted is mushy and counter-intuitive to say the least

Immersion is not there. I really didn't have much hope for that anyway. launch, die, re-spawn. Race toward A B or C to circle in a Cluster F- - - hoping you can keep the other guys targeting lead reticle with in your screen.

Which leads me to the use of leading shots.

Lazer, space...there is no leading of shots. Lazer's go the speed of light. You don't lead in space like you would on Earth with gunpowder rounds.

But even if you have to have target leading, you've way over done it. Sometimes my leading is so far from the actuallj enemy as to be laughable and not fun.

I think this addition is below the current standards of programming and innovation.

Mommy, why doesn't the King have any clothes on.

Lazer, space...there is no leading of shots. Lazer's go the speed of light. You don't lead in space like you would on Earth with gunpowder rounds.

True, but we are not firing any lasers. We fire blaster bolts from laser cannons, which are not traveling at the speed of light, same as the shots from our hand-held blasters don't.

And the emperor is far from naked. I like the new clothes.

True, but we are not firing any lasers. We fire blaster bolts from laser cannons, which are not traveling at the speed of light, same as the shots from our hand-held blasters don't.

And the emperor is far from naked. I like the new clothes.

Well they need to change the wording on their load outs. I just flew one with lazer cannons. And in any case without friction and with the torque the shots would have leading would stilll be near zero

Well, I disagree with the majority of the posts. This is 2013-2014. This update would have been terrific 10-12 years ago.

I agree that we all have presupposed ideas on what we were getting. I guess my take on it was that is was going to be innovative and exciting.

There is no flight model. As an ex-flight simmer I know that's expecting too much so wont comment on it.

The feeling of floating forward as opposed to jetting through space is too high. The controls, the way the plane is piloted is mushy and counter-intuitive to say the least

Immersion is not there. I really didn't have much hope for that anyway. launch, die, re-spawn. Race toward A B or C to circle in a Cluster F- - - hoping you can keep the other guys targeting lead reticle with in your screen.

Which leads me to the use of leading shots.

But even if you have to have target leading, you've way over done it. Sometimes my leading is so far from the actuallj enemy as to be laughable and not fun.

I think this addition is below the current standards of programming and innovation.

Mommy, why doesn't the King have any clothes on.

This rather sounds like a "why can't I have a flight stick?!" grumble in disguise to me.

Check the movies, they have to lead their shots because the laser is not a true laser, it is plasma energy sheathed in a magnetic shell...it is basically a dense energy bullet. Thus they you have to lead your shots because it is NOT a laser. There is one gun that actually acts as a laser (and ironically is not one if you look at the description) and it is the rail gun on the gunships. Put the ship in your sights and pull the trigger, no leading necessary. Yes, this has been discussed in the books and in the design used for the movies...you can see them leading their shots in both the prequels and the original trilogy.

The feeling of floating forward is more a personal one, the speed is slower to allow more people to play it. The faster you make things move, the less people will find it enjoyable. Even current day flight simulators artificially slow things down...usually it is harder to notice when you are in the cockpit than if you are using a follow camera. You would think an ex-flight simmer would know this?

Going to assume you didn't play many combat flight sims than? That hornet nest effect is common in any flight combat...though admittably less so if you use modern plans with locking missiles you can fire from well over a mile out...so you begin shooting before you even see your target. WW2 flight simulated combat looks exactly like this combat...and it is realistic to see it this way. The respawning is so the games don't end in 2 minutes, the node control is so you have objectives...they listened to the majority that finds death matches to be boring and translated it to flight combat in a way that works. If it's not for you...world of planes exists for your death-matching needs.

FINALLY you hit something that makes sense...yes, they make you lead WAY TOO DAMN FAR! It honestly doesn't make a lot of sense. I have also noticed that if someone is within' 100m of you, you cannot hit them with blasters...it is very eery. Even if they aren't moving you can't hit them...

Really...your list of grievances is rather...lame duck.

As an aside, I wish they allowed us to tone down mouse sensitivity while in GS only...as I find it a tad squirrely.

Lol yeah. Because it's a pro-game thread. Like I said, if it was a bashing thread, someone would have immediately reported it and all the posts would have focused on that. I just find the dual-standard kind of funny.

To my recollection most threads with cussing in the title and OP have not had that as the main topic of discussion within them. Granted people would've jumped to debate, but significant spelling/grammar mistakes are way more likely to get excessive attention to devoted to them in my experience.

Lets call it what it is............An average to poor attempt to satiate the masses in lew of real content.

Its no better than the space shooter we already had.

What a huge waste of developing time and money.

It doesn't feel like a MMO game at all once you click the button...Launch.

I'm 10 years old again in a beach side arcade stall, wondering where I can get the next dime from.

Edited by Deluged

As an aside, I wish they allowed us to tone down mouse sensitivity while in GS only...as I find it a tad squirrely.

I wish they had this option as well. Found I had to actually decrease my mouse sensitivity in widows. While the slightly slower mouse is a bit annoying when browsing it made GS much more manageable.

Star Wars dogfighting at last. It's no JTL, but it'll do. As far as it being a waste of development dollars: would you rather have another asteroid full of rep dailies that you cap in a week? Edited by Phrase

You want a Sensor Dampening Scout ship to best counter Gunships.

Oh, forgot to mention...From what I've read, the next 'mode' of play involves each side taking turns defending/attacking a capitol ship of the opposite faction. When it's your turn to attack, you do your best to close in on an enemy capitol ship and do your best to blow it up via weak spots while the enemy is doing its level best to blow you out of the sky before you can kill their ship. Then it's your turn to do the defending.

That's right, Pubs...You get a chance to blow up a Star Destroyer.

Can you please link that please? I really am excited about that possibility.

Lets call it what it is............An average to poor attempt to satiate the masses in lew of real content.

Its no better than the space shooter we already had.

What a huge waste of developing time and money.

It doesn't feel like a MMO game at all once you click the button...Launch.

I'm 10 years old again in a beach side arcade stall, wondering where I can get the next dime from.

Then the game for you is

----------->

That way no one likes people like you, we dont listen to you in RL so you post in game forums looking for relevance.

Its a game and you dont have to play it

as a matter of fact we'd all like for more of you to stop playing the games we like

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.