Comprehensive analysis of Force Mastery of Sith Emperor (Misconceptions addressed)

S_W_LeGenD

I suppose I should thank you. This thread should prove beneficial for my future vs. threads. So thanks. :)

You're welcome.

Also, if I ever offended you before, it was not my intention.

Lord Vitiate or his given name Tenebrae would be fine, yes. Obviously, there is no need to replace every mention of the Sith Emperor, but it just sounds better than repeating it over and over.

Fair enough.

I shall apply these modifications soon to prevent reading difficulties.

Your welcome, and good job by the way.

Thank you again.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

You're welcome.

Also, if I ever offended you before, it was not my intention.

You didn't offend me. I'm just getting tired of the Vitiate (among other characters) talk. So I apologize for getting aggressive over it.

Edited by Aurbere

Well, the whole story about the Emperor / Vitiate bugs me a bit as well, and I think he suffers from a few poor decisions the writers made.

I think he was firstly introduced in the KotOR series, where they needed a reason for Revan to disappear after KotOR I and not be available as a PC in KotOR II. So they set up a mysterious threat at the far reaches of the Galaxy. Something unbelievable dark and sinister that required the full attention of the Hero of the Galaxy (which Revan was at the end of KotOR).

The mistake they made then later on was to personalize this threat and introduce Vitiate as an antagonist. From the setup they had, he had to be incredibly powerful and dangerous. But an incredibly powerful and dangerous antagonist, shown to be unbeatable makes for an uninteresting story, because he is just going to wipe the floor with the good guys. So they had to come up with weaknesses for him to make it believable that in the end he will be defeated.

And this is where I think the storytelling fails about him. First he is depicted as the ulitmate thread to the Galaxy but later on they show him as mortal being that is ultimately defeated (step by step) by a group of people (Revan, Surik, Scourge, Hero of Tython, even Darth Baras contributed to it). This - at least for me - leaves a feeling of: "that was the guy that was the biggest threat the Galaxy has evern seen?"

Of course these are all reason outside of the Star Wars universe, but for me the writers collectively failed in telling us the story about Vitiate. They first set him up as a vague, unpersonal threat at the edge of the Galaxy and later they personalized this threat and this is something that (imho) didn't work out well.

And I think this is also the source for this debate. Because the way the emperor is initially set up in the story, he is this unbelievable powerful entity. But as the story progresses he turns out to be a mortal being that can be defeated like everybody else. There is discrepancy in the storytelling here and this causes the disagreement in the discussion about him.

Just my 2 cts.