I suck at Galactic Starfighter,,,,,,,,,,,

Ouardajason

I feel the same. I didn't beta test any of it, but jumped right in and my first match, I was surprised at how well I did. Then I was on a streak of really crappy results. My biggest problem is my mouse deciding to jump to my 2nd monitor. Then I can't fly and I either crash or am just a sitting duck. It has made me be more deliberate with my mouse movements.

The funniest thing that happened to me so far is that I was playing a match that my team just dominated. We won 1000-25. I started feeling like maybe I am getting the hang of it. Probably the 2nd match after that, I was on a team that lost 1000-5. So, yeah, I realized that I might have contributed even less than I had thought.

Like others have said, its a learning curve and if you find it fun to shoot at other ships in space, keep with it and you should get better, like I hope that I am.

Edited by JBagKY

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are MVPs, but you don't vote for them. The MVP for each category (kills, assists, etc.) is simply awarded to whoever topped that category.

Yeah, didn't find that out until a guildie hit one of the MVP achievements. Examining his told me I had 11. OTOH... you get MVP for most kills and most damage in a match. I think there's a third (medals? objectives?), but I can't remember.

That should be part of the scoreboard IMO. I know, it's pretty packed already.

Run the tutorial level a few times before you play. In between tutorial plays check out your ship, crew and abilities and test those things in your next play. Look up the keybinds in the preferences. Once you are familiar with the controls and your abilities you will find GS much easier.

Personally I like the controls, they are similar to other games I've played and make sense. My only issue is I could be doing with a separate preference for mouse sensitivity in GS because it is far too sensitive. I sucked in my first couple of matches but after 3 nights of playing nothing else I'm usually in the top 3 in my team with some kills, lots of assists and capture / defense points. Even if the team loses I usually feel good about my personal performance.

Be aware also that weapons have a hit chance and that hit chance goes down with range and degrees off centre you are aiming.

For example the rapid-fire laser cannon has only 75% hit chance at 4km. Coupled with 0.8% hit off for each degree off boresight gives a hit chance of only 46.2% at max range and deflection.

On top of this consider that many scout type fighters have got 30%+ evasion and you can see how important those companion accuracy buffs are.

Personally I think that, whilst all tips and hints and such are helpful, ultimately it's not even down to skill (though that does play a part) but it's almost down to blind luck half the time.

I've done 23 or so matches so far and for the first few I was cannon fodder, learning and all that, then I got assist, dozens of them. Few matches later a kill, then another. Next match another kill. Latest match?

0 kills 2 assists and 18 deaths.

Point being that even when you do get a little bit good, lady luck can still do you sideways. Eventually you will get effective, but if luck (pilot error, good lock-ons, a terrible opponent or two) doesn't favour you you're kinda screwed either way. It's not a very forgiving game I find, one mistake or two and you're done. And you'll make a lot of mistakes regardless of skill level.

My view anyway.

Is there a exploit I a missing? I cant shake off my opponent? is there a aim bot that Im not aware of that ppl are using right now?

Do I need to induce my self to be a OCD gamer ?

I tried to play matches all day.. but its just getting to the point .. I was getting excited that I got to lay a hit on someone when they lagged out...

My Latency isnt a issue..

Maybe my piloting just sucks..

Depending on what ship you tend to use, take time out and use the Tutorial Simulation in the Hanger UI. It will launch a simulation match where its just yourself and you can test your flying capabilities and work on your piloting skills

Remember Your not targeting the ship your aiming for the little scope in front of them. the are three different play styles to suit you, the scout is the hardest to master IMO as they are SUPER fast and hard to control.

I didn't find the scout hard to master at all. I think most people haven't figured out that the scout is primarily and objective role kind of ship. It's designed to be the first at the capture points, as well as one of the great ships to have to defend the satellite when all the turrents are gone because of its manueverability. It's designed to be more of a support role. Which I enjoy.

It's also the one that relies the heaviest on the power management. Once you master that scouts can pretty much dictate the entire match.

Me too. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to aim at the cross-hair around their ship, or the little circle that leads them. Neither seems to really land the shots.

Also, it would help if the missiles would fire automatically when the lock is achieved, rather than requiring another click afterwards to fire. Seriously, our hands are full enough just steering the damn ship, right?

Your suppose to hit the little circle that leads them.

If you don't see a circle or the circle is grey, that means that ship is out of your range and you need to get close until you see a red circle.

Is there a exploit I a missing? I cant shake off my opponent? is there a aim bot that Im not aware of that ppl are using right now?

Do I need to induce my self to be a OCD gamer ?

I tried to play matches all day.. but its just getting to the point .. I was getting excited that I got to lay a hit on someone when they lagged out...

My Latency isnt a issue..

Maybe my piloting just sucks..

I'll just add myself to the list of "sucks".

Cannot get on with the gunship at all.

Striker I've been able to do "something" but mainly just dying. I seem to get warnings of missile lock-on's as I get hit by them. I cannot shake off anything following me unless I've got some "spacebar thrust" left in which case I might be able to luck out somewhere.

Damage - well I think I did 10k in a match once. Kills - so far about 4 and they were all photon torpedo ones, not killed anything with the standard firing weapon.

As someone else said I don't just give up straight away. However one of two things will happen:

1. It will suddenly click and I'll start enjoying the game win or lose (like PvP when I first started it)

2. I will just get bored of always being at the bottom, not being able to do anything and I'll walk away

Can't say im overly impressed with it so far. The HUD is a mish mash of poorly thought out designs. The maps are pretty much just pvp map cut and paste. While i wanted star ship that was off the rails I was hoping for something a bit more involved then pvp in space on maps that are built to cause crashes, eh excuse me sry, i mean self destructs. Maybe with time it will be fun, but with no way to learn the controls other then reading short text blurbs, learning to play is more frustrating then fun. and i don't play the game to be frustrated.

I suck but it somehow has been addictive.

Started right away with a strike fighter, that didn't go well

Tried scout. Went worse.

Went big, did OK, until I ran into people that would come after me. lol

Continued to get my *** handed to me as I tried them all several times. Starting to get a bit better at scout and strike fighter and having fun. Actually having more kills and assists than deaths.

Edited by Technohic

I'm using the imp Sting with quads and clusters (quick lock-ons). I'm getting better, but I still can't hit moving targets with my primary..yet.

The more I play, the more I'm changing my view on wanting a joystick with this. I don't think I could aim in the millimeter edging I do griping a big stick ..

Well updating my own post in this thread.....I think I've had enough of it now.

The thing is, I'm crap, still crap, but I don't think I'm improving and that is the crux of it.

When I first started PvP I was rubbish - I'd fight the whole match to try and get a single medal so I wouldn't leave it empty handed. But the controls were intuitive, I got the idea and I saw improvement each time I played - in GSF I'm not seeing that.

I've tried different ships and the things I cannot do:

1. Kill anything. I can count on one hand the actual number of kills I've had in all the matches I've done

2. Shake anything off me. When I'm trying to hit something they are all over the place. I move, dodge, wave yet it seems to make no difference to them, they continuously hit me.

3. 3.4 - 4 seconds to lock on a missile. I try and fail far more often than I succeed. Yet for some reason I'm easy to target with one and sometimes even get 2 coming at me at the same time.

4. I do get a missile off and I see my opponent outrun it or dodge - lord knows how because if one is fired at me it's a guaranteed hit

Yer I know - all down to skill. The thing is I've been playing games for a very long time, my Sinclair Spectrum will attest to that. But in all games I start to see improvement - just not seeing it here.

So I "think" I'm leaving it behind now. There are other things to do in the game, but to be honest I was "so looking forward to this" and I think that adds to the frustration. Something I so wanted to see and be part of and constant dying just isn't fun.

I'm almost completely a Gunship player, but I use Scouts when there's a lot of slug gunners playing.

Gunship: Until you learn good habits for targeting smaller ships, just camp and shoot down turrets and other gunships. Easy enough, but spam the engine abilities when rockets are after you, or you will die often and painfully.

Scouts: Shoot any Gunners you see, especially if they're doing the IMMA CHARGIN' MAH LAZOR! bit. Don't forget that you have to charge the rocket, too.

Cheers, Xak :hope_01:

I play exclusively scouts, though today I did try out the gunship and fighter just to get the 2x bonus. A few things to try...

Pick your battles, dont go head into a whole squad without backup. Reduce throttle while turning. Remember your tightest turn radius is with pitch (up and down) not yaw (left and right). Use your power conversions properly ( I am usually set to power to blasters with the occasional shield boost depending on situation. Maneuvers are good not only to evade missile locks, but also to drop back in behind your enemy. Don't get tunnel vision on what you are shooting and get killed by their wingman.

I suck at it too Just earlier I was in my scout, someon ekept firing missile after missle at me, my dodge roll only got me away from one, I click the camera adjustment to find them, and then my ship turns like a frigging snail while the other guy is turning too and popping missiles. When you're faced with a supergeared player, you're just fodder waiting to be shot up. Also not having a joystick sucks.

It's still bugged too. I selected the plasma railgun for my gunship, but the game went lolignore and just selected the slug railgun :mad:

Edited by RevansSoul

I'm with the OP on this one. I'm up to a total of 318 matches between live and PTS, and I still suck. The controls are awful, and make whichever finger I use to control the "throttle" (using the term loosely) so cramped and sore I can't go on after a while. Aiming is a joke, you can be firing dead center at the middle of the targeting lead circle and SEE the shots going dead in the middle of the enemy ship against a steadily moving target, and get zero hits.

The missile lock is an especially bad aspect. I've bought all the reduced lockon time upgrades possible on several of them, and they still randomly stop tracking despite the target never leaving the middle of the aim circle. When I get TONE to tell me I'm locked, it's hit or miss whether any missiles actually fire when I release. I finally realized that SOMETIMES they are firing but playing no visual, but sometimes they just don't fire despite hearing a lock and the target never getting out of my fire zone. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, because other players seem to have NO problem at all getting lockon in amazingly short times.

Let's not even get started on the teleporting ships. I think that's a lag effect, which I am used to SWTOR compensating for better. Guess GSF is at the bleeding edge of what their engine and networks can handle. So far as I can tell with the testing I have available it's not latency related on this end, though it's awful hard to test that sort of thing of course.

Biggest problem to my mind is putting novice pilots up against hard-core vets with NO provision for training. Admiral Aygo needs to be court martialed for that.

Overall verdict - I may suck, but GSF is just not fun with the buggy, wildly imbalanced matches which result. Only reason for we lousy players to bother is to build up our ships, SLOWLY gain experience with this awful UI, and let the carnage build our case within Bioware's datamining. Problem is, I fear that a large number of people not being able to get the hang of it so they're pathetically easy targets was a design goal. It's WAI, alas.

Edited by The_Hunter_Too

I'll just add myself to this list. Even though I know I suck (I was always bad at games that need precision and insane speed such as most FPS's) I will add something's that aren't making GS fun for me despite me trying to like it.

1 - There is really no step by step tutorial to help you with controlling the ship (mainly this). BW just throws you into a mess with huge boulders on your way where you get killled from god knows where without educating you on how to control the ship. Yes I know some will say "well it's better to practice in real scenarios" and I will reply, sorry If I suck at these kind of games, not everyone is good, I'm very good at normal pvp not at this. And it isn't fun to be killed over and over , it's frustrating.

2 - If BW wanted a fast paced all out game keep mmo elements out of it. I read already about it and things like "30% evasion" don't belong in this type of game. **** if I got you locked on with lasers you should always get hit , you shouldn't be able to use a magic ability. To me, fast paced shooters shouldn't implemente this.

I can't stress enough the amount of times I got a fast laser locked on someone and somehow I couldn't hit him.

3 - This one might come from me being bad at this but am I the only one who's confused about the HUD? Seriously I can't tell where some ****er has gone if he backspins on me, I look at the HUD and I see ****loads of icons so, no clue where he went.

4 - Again mmo/rpg elements in fast paced action games. Why do I need to tab target to be able to shot properly at a ship? This doesn't belong here IMO. If I can see it and I am in range , game should auto detect I'm able to shot him and auto switch target.

Just my ideas though.

I'll just add myself to this list. Even though I know I suck (I was always bad at games that need precision and insane speed such as most FPS's) I will add something's that aren't making GS fun for me despite me trying to like it.

1 - There is really no step by step tutorial to help you with controlling the ship (mainly this). BW just throws you into a mess with huge boulders on your way where you get killled from god knows where without educating you on how to control the ship. Yes I know some will say "well it's better to practice in real scenarios" and I will reply, sorry If I suck at these kind of games, not everyone is good, I'm very good at normal pvp not at this. And it isn't fun to be killed over and over , it's frustrating.

2 - If BW wanted a fast paced all out game keep mmo elements out of it. I read already about it and things like "30% evasion" don't belong in this type of game. **** if I got you locked on with lasers you should always get hit , you shouldn't be able to use a magic ability. To me, fast paced shooters shouldn't implemente this.

I can't stress enough the amount of times I got a fast laser locked on someone and somehow I couldn't hit him.

3 - This one might come from me being bad at this but am I the only one who's confused about the HUD? Seriously I can't tell where some ****er has gone if he backspins on me, I look at the HUD and I see ****loads of icons so, no clue where he went.

4 - Again mmo/rpg elements in fast paced action games. Why do I need to tab target to be able to shot properly at a ship? This doesn't belong here IMO. If I can see it and I am in range , game should auto detect I'm able to shot him and auto switch target.

Just my ideas though.

1 - There is a tutorial...click on the question mark when you pull up the hanger screen.

2 - I somewhat agree with this. We fought very hard to keep buffs and abilities out of JtL because we wanted space PvP to be more about the skill of the pilot than anything else. However, all the buffs and abilities are equal across all factions and classes so at least it's not unfair. You just need to pick which abilities suit you best.

3 - The HUD is pretty intuitive for those who have played similar games (I played the whole X-wing series and JtL). I can't remember if it covers the HUD in the tutorial, but if your target is not on your screen then it should be represented by a light red diamond on the edge of your HUD. Just turn in the direction of the diamond and you should find your target.

4 - Hell no. Auto targeting would be extremely frustrating. Use the E key to target things that are under your reticule.

1 - There is a tutorial...click on the question mark when you pull up the hanger screen.

2 - I somewhat agree with this. We fought very hard to keep buffs and abilities out of JtL because we wanted space PvP to be more about the skill of the pilot than anything else. However, all the buffs and abilities are equal across all factions and classes so at least it's not unfair. You just need to pick which abilities suit you best.

3 - The HUD is pretty intuitive for those who have played similar games (I played the whole X-wing series and JtL). I can't remember if it covers the HUD in the tutorial, but if your target is not on your screen then it should be represented by a light red diamond on the edge of your HUD. Just turn in the direction of the diamond and you should find your target.

4 - Hell no. Auto targeting would be extremely frustrating. Use the E key to target things that are under your reticule.

Pretty much this, but I don't see too much a problem with the "MMO elements." A lot of them are tied to a shield or something to give them a unique option to customize your ship. May be unrealistic, but that is not new in this game nor the majority of games.

Also; along with "E" to target ship under your recticle; "R" also is very usefull to find the ship that is hitting you.