The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who (and why) is your favorite SW Character

Kacynski

From talking to other members of the crew (notably Canderous) you just got a feeling that Revan was power incarnate and a brilliant tactician, someone who singlehandedly held the fate of the galaxy in their hands.

What you have to remember is that the character making those quotes (Canderous in your case) is in a fixed time period. He's never met anyone beyond his time-period and hasn't even met everyone in said period.

So to him Revan could have been all those things. But compared to others in the SW mythos his actions pale. Thats not to say Revan wasn't powerful at all, or that he wasn't a good tactician, but compared to others he just doesn't stack up as well. What others on this site have a problem with are the folks who ignore the rest of the mythos and claim Revan was uber powerful, when that is just not the case. Its all about relative power. So relative to WHO is he powerful? Compared to Canderous, Revan could be God-like. But to the Sith Emperor? Didn't stand much of a chance. You have to look outside the KOTOR games to get the full picture or you can't make an informed opinion.

Also, the Mandalorian wars weren't as big a deal as everyone in that time period made it out to be, it was actually a rather smaller section of the galaxy if you find the battles on a starchart. It was the fact the Republic couldn't crush it very easily combined with the Mandalorian brutality and surprise (and the proximity to Coruscant) that had some people scared.

(note, the Republic wouldn't have been involved at all had Taris not been conned into joining. And even when they were, the jedi and many republic officials weren't terribly worried.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At present, all my favorite SW characters are several companions from SWTOR:

• Khem Val: greatly helped me to get over the emotional loss of my Void Lord, after I changed WoW for SWTOR :) Cool alien language. Very cool storyline!

• Talos Drellik: Excellent healer; helped with some hard quest (iirc on Ilum) after Khem turned out not to be the proper companion for that particular quest. Besides, I like archaeology too!

• Kaliyo: an acquired taste as she annoyed me first.

• Vector: beats the pet fly I had for a few days when I was kid

• Dr. Lokin: excellent conversations! Kinda miss him now that my Agent is running with SCORPIO (who is also cool but gets no special mentioning in this post)

• Gault Rennow: Cool oneliners, excellent aide, relieved me of Mako's moralist commenting on all my dark choices.

To pick one from the movies: Grand Moff Tarkin has always been one of my favs. It's great that Lucas got Peter Cushing (famous from the Hammer horror movies, like Christopher Lee who played Count Dooku in the prequels) for that role. I hated that there was no action figure of him when I was a kid. Later, much later, in fact about 3 or 4 years ago, I found the entire Death Star Council in some store that sold movie merchandise. Should have bought it, but Mako - I mean my girlfriend talked me out of it.

What you have to remember is that the character making those quotes (Canderous in your case) is in a fixed time period. He's never met anyone beyond his time-period and hasn't even met everyone in said period.

So to him Revan could have been all those things. But compared to others in the SW mythos his actions pale. Thats not to say Revan wasn't powerful at all, or that he wasn't a good tactician, but compared to others he just doesn't stack up as well. What others on this site have a problem with are the folks who ignore the rest of the mythos and claim Revan was uber powerful, when that is just not the case. Its all about relative power. So relative to WHO is he powerful? Compared to Canderous, Revan could be God-like. But to the Sith Emperor? Didn't stand much of a chance. You have to look outside the KOTOR games to get the full picture or you can't make an informed opinion.

Also, as one of Revan's die-hard followers, Canderous Ordo was not exactly the most reliable source for a dispassionate and reasoned evaluation of the man's abilities.

Also, the Mandalorian wars weren't as big a deal as everyone in that time period made it out to be, it was actually a rather smaller section of the galaxy if you find the battles on a starchart. It was the fact the Republic couldn't crush it very easily combined with the Mandalorian brutality and surprise (and the proximity to Coruscant) that had some people scared.

(note, the Republic wouldn't have been involved at all had Taris not been conned into joining. And even when they were, the jedi and many republic officials weren't terribly worried.)

Pretty much this.

Oh, and YAY! You changed your avatar back! :D

Old question, but the answer changes over the years.

1) Cipher 9: My explanation obviously contains some kind of spoilers.

Cipher 9 gets beaten down both physically and mentally far beyond the point of breaking and still he/she manages to make a comeback all on his/her own (or potentially with a bit of implanted help). Besides his/her whole adventure in the Star Wars universe is amazing up to now.

To top it off: Of course my personal Cipher 9 is my favorite, but from what I've seen, pretty much any way to play Cipher 9 results in something great.

2) Grand Admiral Thrawn: Because his strength is his mind (similar to Cipher 9). And he is really good. And he is the first Chiss I ever heard of. I like Chiss.

3) R2-D2: How can you not love this cute, almost unshakeable little thing?

4) Darth Nox (only in my head cannon, which is why I put her last): I can't go into details here, but I guess I like her so much, because I spent a lot of time, creating her character and backstory. And she shares certain things with Palpatine and Kreia.

After looking at it, I see once more that I prefer characters that excel at thinking.