The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking implants craftable 54 or Ult comms?

Nhands

I have been gearing as a mitigation tank my present implant is

82 aim, 145 end, 105 shield rat, 100 Def

Now I was going to upgrade to a ultimate coms implant but it has accuracy which I have been avoiding at all costs. The main stats though are tempting..

change over current implant

+ 79 aim, +136 End, +76 absorb rat, +88 accuracy - 105 shield rating, - 100 defence rating

Are the gains in main stats worth the loss in mitigation, whats the general feeling on the matter?

No. The ~200 hit to mitigation rating is huge. Never use any piece with accuracy / alacrity as a tank.

If you want to focus on mitigation (which I recommend you do) the craftable Veracity purple implants are pretty much BiS until Krell Dragon-level (although you can switch them out for UW implants).

Edited by HBCentaurion

Personally, I wouldn't even take the UW token implants. Use the crafted Veracity until Kell Dragon, if not Orconian level.

The tank stats on Veracity Earpiece and Implant are just too good to give up I find for anything else except those two tier levels.

Definitely take the veracity ones, as others have mentioned (never use gear with accuracy/alacrity; they're not mitigation stats).

Other implants to compare to (all are drops except the one you listed, though you can buy a crafted underworld one if someone RE'd it). All implants currently in the game other than these are much worse than the veracity one (unless you're choosing to boost your dps while compromising survivability):

Dread Forged Supercommando's MK-X Package: 177 Aim, 237 Endurance, 94 Shield, 110 Defense

Oriconian Demolisher's MK-2 Implant: 173 / 252 / 94 / 94

Kell Dragon Supercommando's MK-X Package: 161 / 217 / 86 / 101

Shadowed Demolisher's MK-2 Implant: 161 / 232 / 86 / 86

Underworld Supercommando's MK-X Package: 148 / 199 / 79 / 88

Verpine Demolisher's MK-2 Implant: 145 / 210 / 79 / 79

Oriconian Demolisher's MK-1 Implant: 161 / 281 / 88 Accuracy, 76 Absorption

For comparison:

Veracity Experimental Response Implant: 82 / 145 / 105 / 98

So it has more mitigation stats than every one of them except the dread forged. Still, endurance is worth something. For long steady fights, I'd trade maybe 6 endurance for 1 mitigation. For spiky fights, it's more like 1 to 1. See here for my analysis of this (it's quoted in the second post).

Comparison, with my take:

Oriconian MK-2: Gain 107 endurance, lose 15 mitigation (always worth it)

Kell Dragon: Gain 72 endurance, lose 16 mitigation (usually worth it)

Shadowed MK-2: Gain 87 endurance, lose 31 mitigation. (worth it on spiky fights or fights with any downtime; probably a bit worse on especially long steady fights)

Underworld: Gain 54 endurance, lose 36 mitigation. (worth it on spiky fights or fights with frequent downtime)

Verpine MK-2: Gain 64 endurance, lose 45 mitigation. (worth it only on very spiky fights)

Oriconian MK-1: Gain 136 endurance, lose 127 mitigation. (worth it only on very spiky fights)

This all ignores the additional aim. If your dps matters, that can perhaps tip the scales toward taking one of these when you otherwise wouldn't.

Edited by cxten