Einstein's problem

Arkillon

For anyone stumped, here's the solution. Be forewarned, I can't figure out how this spoiler inside of spoilers crap works so the interior solutions unwind as soon as you open the main body. Double click them to minimize the spoilers to have it easier to manage/avoid answers prematurely.

First arrange data to make it possible to sort. Easiest way for me is a row of 5x5 matrixes, each matrix corresponding with a certain house. It will look like H1 H2 H3 H4 H5 with each house having a 5x5 matrix in its place. Each matrix can follow any coding you want, I went with:

Color - Blue (B) Red ® Yellow (Y) Green (G) Orange (O)

Country - Canadian © Dane (D) Aussie (A) African (Af) Swede (S)

Drink - Water (W) Coffee © Beer (B) Tea (T) Soda (S)

Smoke - Blue Master (Bm) Blend (B) Dunhill (D) Pall Mall (Pm) Prince (P)

Pet - Dog (D) Fish (F) Snakes (S) Birds (B) Cat ©

H1:

B R Y G O

C D A Af S

W C B T S

Bm B D Pm P

D F S B C

From the hints, we know that the Canadian is in H1, H2 is yellow, and H3 drinks Tea. From the other hints, we can also deduce that the Canadian cannot live in an orange, red, or blue house either and therefore H1 is green, houses the Canadian, smokes Princes, cannot drink soda, water, tea, or coffee, or have dogs snakes or fish. The only question is if he has birds or cats. H1 is reduced to

H1:

G

C

B

P

B C

Because H1 drinks beer, H2 must smoke Dunhills and only H1 and H3 can possibly house birds. Because H2 is yellow, it cannot house the Dane, has snakes, and because of the hints cannot have tea or coffee. Also, because the middle house must drink tea and the blue house is to the immediate left of the red house and drinks coffee, we can conclude that H3 is Orange, H4 is Blue, an H5 is red along with all of the facts that go with that. That means the Dane lives in H3, drinks tea and that

the African can only be in H2 because smoking Dunhills reduces the possible drink to soda. H2 is solved as Yellow/African/Soda/Dunhill/Snakes. The other houses reduce to

H3:

O

D

T

Bm B Pm

F B C

H4:

B

A S

C

Bm B Pm

D F C

H5:

R

A S

W

Bm B Pm

D F C

From here, you can further reduce that H3 cannot smoke Blends or Blue Masters and must smoke Pall Malls, meaning H3 also houses fish and that because of the Dunhill-bird hint, that H1 must house the birds. H5 containing water means Blends go with H5 as well.

H1 is solved as Green/Canadian/Beer/Princes/Birds, and H3 is solved as Dane/Tea/Pall Mall/Fish. The others reduce.

H4:

B

A S

C

Bm B

D C

H5:

R

A S

W

B

D C

Now we finish by concluding that the Swede cannot live in H5 because he smokes Blue Masters.

This leaves H5 solving as Red/Aussie/Water/Blends/Dogs and H4 as Blue/Swede/Coffee/Blue Master/Cats.

This could have been solved earlier or in any fashion as long as the facts directly supported eliminating options earlier, but this is how my stuff worked out. Took about 10 minutes, whereas typing this correctly took MUCH longer :p Enjoy.

Edited by countpopeula