SWTOR has just released.... yet

Tgpo

This forum has been subjected to on going crying about what SWTOR doesn't have in comparison to... WoW

It's unfortunate for Bioware that they have to be compared to a game that has had the benefit of eight years of tweaking/patches. I purchased that freaking game on the 20th of November 2002 (A mate ran a games store and gave it to me two days early ;) ), for the first two weeks you could barely play it due to the server crashing every 20 minutes (no I'm not exaggerating) not to mention the amount of scheduled down time, maintenance was several times a week. When the server was up and running, when you could actually play the game, there were too many bugs to be bothered whining about.

Blizzard had the luxury of bringing the MMO market to the mainstream community so there weren't many complaints. At the time, the player base was made up of EQ players and they knew what to expect with a MMO launch (but yes even some of them whined).

The rest were just Blizzard fans who were completely new to the genre and didn't have a base of comparison "Hey my toon appears to be naked, but he's wearing armour... is this normal?"

Now we have a bunch of snotty nosed kids ranting on who clearly weren't there when WoW first hit the shelves. Many of which have a fundamentally warped perspective on what to expect from an MMO at release.

That being said, Bioware have done a fantastic job so far. If I wanted a game like WoW, I wouldn't have purchased this one.

TLDR: This game has just released and it's NOT WoW. Patches in the near future will improve it.

This forum has been subjected to on going crying about what SWTOR doesn't have in comparison to... WoW

It's unfortunate for Bioware that they have to be compared to a game that has had the benefit of eight years of tweaking/patches. I purchased that freaking game on the 20th of November 2002 (A mate ran a games store and gave it to me two days early ;) ), for the first two weeks you could barely play it due to the server crashing every 20 minutes (no I'm not exaggerating) not to mention the amount of scheduled down time, maintenance was several times a week. When the server was up and running, when you could actually play the game, there were too many bugs to be bothered whining about.

Blizzard had the luxury of bringing the MMO market to the mainstream community so there weren't many complaints. At the time, the player base was made up of EQ players and they knew what to expect with a MMO launch (but yes even some of them whined).

The rest were just Blizzard fans who were completely new to the genre and didn't have a base of comparison "Hey my toon appears to be naked, but he's wearing armour... is this normal?"

Now we have a bunch of snotty nosed kids ranting on who clearly weren't there when WoW first hit the shelves. Many of which have a fundamentally warped perspective on what to expect from an MMO at release.

That being said, Bioware have done a fantastic job so far. If I wanted a game like WoW, I wouldn't have purchased this one.

TLDR: This game has just released and it's NOT WoW. Patches in the near future will improve it.

Oh, grow up.

Do you go buy a car and excuse its lack of anti-lock brakes because "it took the industry seventy years to develop those, its okay if they're not available on my brand new model"?

Of course you don't.

Bioware is expected to compete with the current generation of MMOs. Not MMO's from seven years ago. Other MMO's manage to have this stuff implemented at launch -- SWTOR doesn't.

I love the game. I will keep playing the game while they tune it and release features. However, EA's practice of releasing an unfinished product to the market and then 'fixing' it through post-release patches is utter B.S, and shame on you for supporting it.

How is Bioware going to improve this game if none of you will grow a pair and tell them what needs to be fixed? Instead you attack anyone who had higher expectations.

Thats irrational.

/thread

Oh, grow up.

Do you go buy a car and excuse its lack of anti-lock brakes because "it took the industry seventy years to develop those, its okay if they're not available on my brand new model"?

Of course you don't.

Bioware is expected to compete with the current generation of MMOs. Not MMO's from seven years ago. Other MMO's manage to have this stuff implemented at launch -- SWTOR doesn't.

I love the game. I will keep playing the game while they tune it and release features. However, EA's practice of releasing an unfinished product to the market and then 'fixing' it through post-release patches is utter B.S, and shame on you for supporting it.

How is Bioware going to improve this game if none of you will grow a pair and tell them what needs to be fixed? Instead you attack anyone who had higher expectations.

Thats irrational.

/thread

pretty much this... Standards are a good thing. People are complaining with legitimate reasons; but that doesn't mean they aren't also having fun. I'm extremely disappointed with many aspects of the game; from features to bugs, but I still enjoy playing the game and i still think it's a fun game.

Are people who complain about the government unpatriotic? Of course not. Don't defend bad habits. And Bioware doesn't need you to speak for them. Maybe they appreciate all the negative feedback because it lets them know people care enough to say something.

Edited by Gastranomick

my only complaint is my romance is bugged and i have to wait for a patch to bang kira.

Also, I've played wow for 7 years. and the patch before the end of TBC was the death of wow to me, such a HORRIBLE game ever since. Lovin this game alot.

Edited by HollowVamp

I don't have a problem with people pointing out where the game is lacking and needing improvement, we all know it has areas to improve and we all know Bioware will improve on those areas. It is also reasonable to not expect 27 end game raids and perfect PVP 2 days after release.

I also don't have a problem with the comparisons to other MMO's in regards to what they have implemented vs what SWTOR has implemented, but I can't stand the "WOW has better graphics" and "This game fails because they did not include xxxx /ragequit" posts. I have no problem with WOW or any other game, I hope they succeed as I am pretty sure more than 11 million people play MMO's I would believe there is enough room for multiple MMO's to run simultaneously.

I am just getting really frustrated with all of the whining and hate in regards to the interwebs entitlement crowd.

I don't have a problem with people pointing out where the game is lacking and needing improvement, we all know it has areas to improve and we all know Bioware will improve on those areas. It is also reasonable to not expect 27 end game raids and perfect PVP 2 days after release.

I also don't have a problem with the comparisons to other MMO's in regards to what they have implemented vs what SWTOR has implemented, but I can't stand the "WOW has better graphics" and "This game fails because they did not include xxxx /ragequit" posts. I have no problem with WOW or any other game, I hope they succeed as I am pretty sure more than 11 million people play MMO's I would believe there is enough room for multiple MMO's to run simultaneously.

I am just getting really frustrated with all of the whining and hate in regards to the interwebs entitlement crowd.

I agree, there are an awful lot of people who are being outright offensive in their flames, and its not constructive at all.

However, I myself have found myself pretty much intentionally insulting this community because I am fed-up with the blind devotion to "Its Star Wars, and therefor perfect. If you don't agree its perfect, go back to WoW."

This attitude frustrates me beyond belief. I've been a Star Wars fan as long as I can remember -- literally, being born in '79 my childhood was filled with Star Wars. It is my favorite franchise and fiction, period. I also love how Bioware has treated the franchise since KOTOR. They've shown it a great deal of respect, and I sincerely tip my hat to the advancements they've made in taking the multi-layered storytelling of their previous SW games and planting it into an MMO.

I am not a 'WoW' fanboy. If anything I'm an SW fanboy, and I've been viciously defensive of quite a few of Bioware's decisions over the course of EGA and launch.

But I'm not stupid, either. I can see what this game is missing. I'm allowed to be disappointed that bugs we reported in beta were not addressed, that design decisions we called them out on were implemented with deaf ears.

I want this game to be better. It's already good, but I want it to be great. I want fans of modern MMO's to come look at SWTOR and not write it off because its years behind the design curve. I want critics to give it high scores based on its merits, but I'm afraid that won't happen. I'm scared, to be honest, because so much of a games success is determined by initial reception.

Look at what happened with Anarchy Online. That game released to humdrum (if not viciously negative) reviews, because they ignored the current state of the market and released an inferior product. Droves flocked to AO -- and droves left in disgust a scant few days later.

Then they re-did the game. Literally redesigned it to include all of the features players expected, worked out the bugs, smoothed out the combat etc etc. They begged the press to re-review the game. The top magazines and online portals outright refused to change their original score, but those who -did- review the game again lauded it as one of the best games of the year. It was a massive improvement, and the game still enjoys a small but loyal following even in its free-to-play days.

But those who left, didn't come back. The game was a financial flop, a critical bomb, and when WoW released a couple of years later it became nearly forgotten.

I don't want this to happen to SWTOR. I don't. So I'm calling Bioware out NOW. I'm asking them to fix bugs and implement features NOW, before the majority of the mature MMO market writes this game off. And this community? They're not helping in the least. If Bioware and EA listen to the fanboys and pretend this game is already perfect, it will be free to play and forgotten, and everybody over on the Blizzard fence will be laughing at us.

I am encouraged that there is already a PTR up that addresses a number of issues. Personally I really, really hope the list of changes on the PTR grows to include a wider swath of the problems I and my guildmates have been shaking our heads at since we got in to EGA.

But in the meantime, I am worried.