Item level question

JorikKhan

Hopefully a simple question I just wasn't able to find an answer for (I looked, I swear!).

I notice that people refer to higher end gear as level 62/66/72, etc. My highest character is a level 51 BH. He has gear at level 140/146 after getting some stuff from the Makeb vendor and from HM FPs. I'm not sure how this level 146 gear is related to the 62/72 numbers I see people referring to?

I'm only really interested to the point that when I eventually (going slowly) hit max level and want to try out an operation or level 55 FP I know that I'm an appropriate gear level. On the threads I've viewed on this topic I've noticed that most gear level stuff is referred to in the 62/72 format.

Hopefully a simple question I just wasn't able to find an answer for (I looked, I swear!).

I notice that people refer to higher end gear as level 62/66/72, etc. My highest character is a level 51 BH. He has gear at level 140/146 after getting some stuff from the Makeb vendor and from HM FPs. I'm not sure how this level 146 gear is related to the 62/72 numbers I see people referring to?

I'm only really interested to the point that when I eventually (going slowly) hit max level and want to try out an operation or level 55 FP I know that I'm an appropriate gear level. On the threads I've viewed on this topic I've noticed that most gear level stuff is referred to in the 62/72 format.

This is a bit difficult for even someone like me to answer. I (unfortunately) haven't paid too much attention to these numbers, if I were a avid Flashpoint/Operations Player, I would follow the item levels that TOR mentions on the Daily Quests to do said Flashpoint/Operation. They list a recommended Item level on each Operation. I would follow that number and not care about what other people are looking for. If you are still set on getting an answer for this question, someone who knows more about Operations and Flashpoints would have to assist you with this.

The 140/146 that you mention is the item rating, its the standard game metric to evaluate your gear quality.

For a lvl 55 Hard Mode Flashpoint, you will be fine wearing rating 156 gear. Some operations advises 162 rating, but it's just for reference, you can go slightly undergeared if you have full augmented gear.

The 66/72 (and 75/78) are the quality of the mods individually in your gear. The higher the quality of the mods, higher the item rating.

Thanks guys, very helpful. Given my casual level of play I'll probably just try to stick to the advised ingame item rating.

The thing that confused me at first though was that looking at mods in game, such as a purchasable armoring 28 piece (as an example), there is no 'level' (62/72/etc) given on the little info icon. I initially thought people were just dropping the '1' from the front of the item rating (ie, 146 becomes 46).

Anyway, I looked up an armor 28 piece in torhead and a green one gives a level of 66. So I guess if I ever need to discuss my gear on the 62/72 front I'll take a quick skim of a site like that.

Well, stick with the 66/69/72/75/78 numbers, it's more common. Very very few people address the rating when talking about gear.

Dont want to confuse you, but some lower level mods can be better than higher ones, according to the class you are playing.

For example: I have a gunslinger with a piece with 72 72 69 mods in it. The original 72 enhancement had poor power stats and high alacrity stats (not important for me), so I switched it for a power + surge level 69 enhancement, improving my overall damage.

Basically :

prototype mod 28 = blue 66 = item rating 148

artifact mod 28 = purple 66 = item rating 156

artifact mod 30 = purple 69 = item rating 162 ("black-market" / "arkanian")

artifact mod 31 = purple 72 = item rating 168 ("verpine" / "underworld")

artifact mod 32? = purple 75 = item rating 174 ("kell dragon")

artifact mod 34 = purple 78 = item rating 180 ("oriconian" / "dread forged")

What people are referring to is the middle column, because the item rating is only visible on hilts, barrels and armorings, the mod's name requires checking the item modification interface, and the item name is only visible on the original shells. The mod 'level' is visible at a glance when you mouse over an item, although an item could have mods of different level.

Edited by Loc_n_lol