The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE tank Set Bonus vs Higher Armoring

Nokkal

Anyone have done the math on PT tank set bonus vs the higher armor of Verpine/Oriconian Armorings?

On my Powertech I have the 4-pc set bonus, but only one of those is from a DF/78, other pieces are from UW/72. So I'm wondering if I should stick with the UW Armoring or trade two of those for Oriconian Armorings for the chest and boots (I already have the legs as Oriconian and the Head piece as Dread Forged).

In my case, the trade off is higher Armor vs 2% Melee, Range, Tech and Force defense. Not sure which one is more useful.

So I have not done the math but you are more asking if it is better to have more hp, lets say like 1k or 2% mitigation. The difference in armor rating mitigation is going to be extremely small as it has been for awhile now.

Personally I think the set bonus is the way to go. Anytime you are getting free mitigation and in this case 2% that leaves you more room to stack other mitigation. As a PT your HP isn't going to be an issue as a full UW tank.

I am sure others might have a more mathematic answer.

69's with the 4-piece bonus is better than 78's without.

Thats my opinion.

Though dont hesitate to grab the enhancements and mods out of the Oriconian Gear (well, if you optimised the 72s you could go without the enhancements...)

Hell I used a gear calculator and managed to get 20/40/40 mitigation from just the Dread Forged earpiece/implants, everything else being Ultimate Comm gear (well the mainhand uses a 72 barrel...), augments, and the Arkanian set bonus (its pretty much impossible to Not have it nowdays) and it ended up with 45.5k hp, despite still using a bunch of arkanian gear. And it isn't even anywhere near optimised.

And the difference between the 69s and the 78s?

well the 78s had 47k hp with everything else the same, and the armor went from 50.82% to 52.47%. So its 1.5k more HP and 1.65% more DR in exchange for 3 seconds on your defensive cooldown + oil slick, and +2% to all defense (remember elemental stuff ignores the armor)

And yes, he isn't optimized. Its just showing you can get a pretty good tank up with just token gear and a set bonus.

Here's the guy below:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/de87b71d-c047-486e-bbd2-076e52ca0203

Oh and something that occured to me after posting this. You have the Underworld set bonus, which uses better armor than arkanian, so you are gaining less than 1.5k hp and 1.65% DR for the loss of the set bonus's, and if its a difficult choice with the worse gear... yeah... Stick with the set bonus.

Edited by TACeMossie