Knocked out of Entrench

Cinnagar

Well, it happens.

Its not something a shadow or any other class with knockback can do on purpose. I guess its partially due to lag on server.

No, if it was a lag issue I wouldn't have made a thread. I was playing MM in a 4v4. Decided to try Entrench + SP as I was being focused (they had 2 shadows, 1 vanguard tank. The shadows were on me - in retrospect, I should have dropped orbital on my head too). Entrench's CD activates as soon as you hit the button. I was knocked out of entrench, glanced at the spell, and saw the CD tick down to 37s.

This happened once before last night. As lethality in a voidstar wz, to defend a bomb I hit entrench and started casting orbital. I never finished the cast: a sin knocked me out of entrench after my cast reached the 2s mark.

I'm just posting to find out if any one else has experienced other classes deliberately/reliably doing it. I want to know in what situations it isn't safe to just pop entrench and wait it out/cast orbital.

You don't gain immunity to physics as soon as you push the Entrench button. It takes a few milliseconds to activate. That you saw its cooldown of 37 seconds is strange... Presuming no lag/'hacking' and that you checked the ability's cooldown as soon as you got knocked back, it probably was a cover-breaking mechanic.

You don't gain immunity to physics as soon as you push the Entrench button. It takes a few milliseconds to activate. That you saw its cooldown of 37 seconds is strange... Presuming no lag/'hacking' and that you checked the ability's cooldown as soon as you got knocked back, it probably was a cover-breaking mechanic.

Maybe there is a chance for it to fail? I'm accustomed to lag affecting how abilities work, regarding whether or not something is "in the air" already. In the arena the other team was 2 shadows, vanguard tank, scoundrel healer. None of them have a cover breaking mechanic afaik.

As one of the above posters said, tech abilities hit sins through shroud (but I always believed this to be a lag issue - or they hit shroud when the ability was "in the air"). I felt pretty sure that the Shadow in the arena did it with the knowledge that he was knocking me out of cover.

I'll have to find one and duel him, asking him to try.

This is definitely an issue and most likely a bug. To the best of my recollection, it started with the release of 2.4 and since there's a very similar mega-knockback mechanic in the Draxus fight that also ignores Entrench I suspect they're related. Entrench is supposed to grant immunity to this type of crap and yet that's clearly not the case. Assassins/Shadows are already our hard counter, this ability just makes it a ridiculous match-up and makes the TTK issues that plague PVP even worse. Edited by Plicitous

• 3 weeks later...

As one of the above posters said, tech abilities hit sins through shroud (but I always believed this to be a lag issue - or they hit shroud when the ability was "in the air").

TANGENT: I personally did an experiment to verify that shadow/assassins are hit (e.g. stunned) through shroud 5% of the time. I did something like 60 trials dueling with my and my wifes toons (computer's side by side, I controlled both). This is not a lag issue. BW has confirmed this behavior and said they wish it was otherwise but it is too hard to fix.

I felt pretty sure that the Shadow in the arena did it with the knowledge that he was knocking me out of cover.

I'll have to find one and duel him, asking him to try.

combat logging is your friend. Turn on combat logging then upload the log later to torparse.com (or some other) and see if there was a diversion

• 2 years later...

Submitted a bug report 5 minutes ago:

during "Seeds of Dread" mission on Oricon, the Corrupted Elder Subtheroth managed to knock me out of cover with Entrench active.

please for the love of god fix this. Entrench is suppose to make you immune to push backs, interrupts and everything, it's currently **** as it doesn't do this.