Leveling as Tank post 2.5?

lokiwalker

So I tend to like tanking the most and DPS the second most when it comes to endgame. I am already leveling a Jugg tank but thought that I would also go ahead and level and assassin tank as well. My question is should I just level him as DPS and then switch to Tanking later (lvl 40ish) It looks like there are not many tanking skills to be had until I am higher level. Unlike the Jugg, where by about level 15 I was pretty comfortable tanking same level FPs.

I was thinking that I would just level mostly DPS solo then eventually switch to a Tank role once I get some more Tanking talents (I would just respec at this point)

If you are thinking of swapping to Tank at a later time, do it around level 27, when absorb mods are first craftable. You can viably tank there. Also, mod the hell out of your gear. Get a full set of moddable Cartel gear or something, once you hit 27 refresh all your mods (Force whielder, the absorb enhancements, etc) then you can tank very well indeed.

I'd recommend you just tank from the rip. You will get instant pops for FPs anytime you want them, quick leveling, quick social boosts, and while some groups take a little longer to kill if you're running missions with Khem, it's really not that bad. My recommendation anyway.

And have healers ragequit because they cant heal you. Reason they cant is because you have NONE of the mitigation stats you rely on as a sintank until level 27.

Unless you have renewable Cartel Indestructible crystals for you shield generator and your lightsaber, and are a complete nazi about keeping your gear meticulously up to date, DPS until level 27.

And have healers ragequit because they cant heal you. Reason they cant is because you have NONE of the mitigation stats you rely on as a sintank until level 27.

Unless you have renewable Cartel Indestructible crystals for you shield generator and your lightsaber, and are a complete nazi about keeping your gear meticulously up to date, DPS until level 27.

Well, I did exactly what you mentioned when I was levling, +41 crystals in saber and shield off the rip and close to maximized gear at all times. Never really had many issues with healers keeping me alive, though I'm sure it was a little more effort. If you're playing with a decent crew, between your stuns and CCs managing mobs is never much of a problem up to that point. I don't remember any major issues with healers in that regard on the bosses either. Most people were happy enough to get into a GF group that they didn't mind a little extra work to get things done. Again, to each his own, but getting low level pops is already an all-day affair at times, so I don't think most will complain too hard about having to keep a Sin alive.

Just my perspective from having done it, though you certainly made valid points. With the new changes coming tanking at lower levels will likely be a little less stressful on the healers so we shall see.

Only mitigation advantage other tanks have at that level is the armor rating. Though, at that level it doesn't make any big difference. Especially in 2.5 the difference at that level is going to be minimal.

My advice would be, if you want to level a tank then start as tank on level 16 (when you recieve taunt) and stay tank from that moment. You've got an aoe with a 6 second cooldown which generates threat. Honestly this makes your job fairly easy in the lower levels. I never had any troubles tanking when my shadow was still a lowbie.

Yea, you dont have a problem if you REALLY know what you are doing gear wise and have the cartel indestructible crystals and full sets of moddable gear. But your average sintank with greens or blues with widely uneven gear? Not a chance.

What does any other tank get that you don't pre 27... honestly I have jug, PT, and assassin tank all in there 30's and assassin was easiest to jump into and actually hold agro. No tank gets the tank stance, cell, charge till level 14. At level 14 the only difference is the armor mitigation. I see really no difference at all on tanking at low level... up until athiss you even get groups with all dps sometimes.

The biggest benefit to going assassin for tank spec at that level is discharge... then you get the option knock mobs out of the fight before the fight starts... as long as they are not droids you really can control the fights and reduced the number of mobs the group faces at a time.

Yea, you dont have a problem if you REALLY know what you are doing gear wise and have the cartel indestructible crystals and full sets of moddable gear. But your average sintank with greens or blues with widely uneven gear? Not a chance.

That counts for all 3 tanks. But I had my fair share of healing during the earlier flashpoints and mostly the sin/shadow weren't a problem. If it was a bad geared tank then the healing would be tough, no matter the class.

So basically an assassin/shadow tank is just as good tanking wise as the other 2 pre 27. Because the armor is the only mitigation stat at that moment and the difference on lower levels is something you can ignore.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the feedback, I have been leveling as Deception. Though I ran one FP it was Black Talon so not sure that I would count it. I like the plan of going through as DPS until my mid 20's.

I have not been able to keep everything perfectly up to date, though I have artifice and my main has cyber tech (though he is not even max level yet) so I have been able to keep decently geared. My other reason for leveling a little as a DPS is because I leveled a Jugg as pure Tank and at times it can get very slow. It can be fun to burn through some guys.

So thanks again for the advice, I think I will switch sometime in my early to Mid 20s for Darkness and probably skip hammer station and start taking Athiss.