Spoiler: I think Calyphus is setting some plot

Slowpokeking

The Dread Masters were already powerful Sith and was trusted by the Emperor. Their corruption was quite deep even before they touched the device, Calyphus is an old man, so before the device granted him immortality, he must had many years of Sith training, why would he suddenly become a helpless old dude? He must be plotting against the Republic.

And...yet another light side choice that let loose end on the loose. This is why I find light side choice on Republic side sometimes ridiculous, it's like you allow the psychopath to walk free instead of bringing them into justice or let the villains continue their sinister plans.

Yes, I'm sure he can still be redeemed, let's take this guy in. What could possibly go wrong?

However, I hope Dread Masters story arc is finally over so now we can focus on the war between Republic and Empire.

Edited by shamfurdispray

I highly doubt he's plotting but rather, he just underestimated the influence and / or effects the study of the Phobies devices would have on him and the other Dread Masters, just like they underestimated what mean the loss of Lord Styrak to the cohesion of the group.

Also, unless Bioware changes some stuff in a dramatic fashion, what the Dread Masters have done will surely have impact in the coming updates, assuming of course you take into account the early leaks.

I highly doubt he's plotting but rather, he just underestimated the influence and / or effects the study of the Phobies devices would have on him and the other Dread Masters, just like they underestimated what mean the loss of Lord Styrak to the cohesion of the group.

Also, unless Bioware changes some stuff in a dramatic fashion, what the Dread Masters have done will surely have impact in the coming updates, assuming of course you take into account the early leaks.

Basically the Dread Masters got themselves stuck in a Hive Mind composed of the most deranged and vile parts of their personalities. Their own dark sides consumed them and they were unable to have any chance of redemption - or even return to a normal level of Sith corruption - unless their unison was shattered.

I think it was setting up the reveal of the even bigger bad... The emperor.

The dread masters probably were probably dominated by the emperor who manipulated them to do his bidding. The whole "let's wipe out the galaxy so there can be peace" sounds exactly like the emperors plans. I think when calphayus approached, it was that the emperors control over him was released.

He was the prophet, so he must have some vision of the future of their defeat, that's why he survived.

Edited by Slowpokeking

He was the prophet, so he must have some vision.

The future is always in motion so even if he had a vision, it doesn't mean it was bound to happen in the exact same fashion he foresaw.

As I mentioned previously, I highly doubt they were expecting to lose Lord Styrak on Darvannis the way they did, causing them to start going truly mad in the process.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

The future is always in motion so even if he had a vision, it doesn't mean it was bound to happen in the exact same fashion it did. As I mentioned previously, I highly doubt they were expecting to lose Lord Styrak on Darvannis the way they did, causing them to start going truly mad in the process.

They were quite mad even before that, and all of them were once powerful Sith Lords, I see no reason for them to totally withdraw from Dark Side after their defeat, there is no such example in SW history. He might return to a normal Sith, but not some helpless old guy.

They were quite mad even before that, and all of them were once powerful Sith Lords, I see no reason for them to totally withdraw from Dark Side after their defeat, there is no such example in SW history. He might return to a normal Sith, but not some helpless old guy.

Lunacy is a matter of perspective, especially in a fictional Universe.

Also, it's possible that with the death of the other Dread Masters, he was cut off from the Force entirely. It's not that much of a stretch, seeing they were loosing themselves, their memories and what they originally envisioned after the loss of Lord Styrak, which further reinforces the idea I presented previously.

Lunacy is a matter of perspective, especially in a fictional Universe.

Also, it's possible that with the death of the other Dread Masters, he was cut off from the Force entirely. It's not that much of a stretch, seeing they were loosing themselves, their memories and what they originally envisioned after the loss of Lord Styrak, which further reinforces the idea I presented previously.

How? He didn't become Sith because of the device, like others, he already was quite deep in the Dark Side before that. Like I said, they might move a step back, became something like normal Sith like that Lord Hargev, but not some good guys. Ulic returned to the light because there was good in him and he deeply regret for killing his brother, not because he was cut off from the Force by Nomi.

I don't think their memory was totally stripped, their old techniques like Styrak's skill of Sith Alchemy remained after he became the Dread Master. And even before their memory was consumed by the device, they were already bad guys, powerful Sith Lords.

How? He didn't become Sith because of the device, like others, he already was quite deep in the Dark Side before that. Like I said, they might move a step back, became something like normal Sith like that Lord Hargev, but not some good guys. Ulic returned to the light because there was good in him and he deeply regret for killing his brother, not because he was cut off from the Force by Nomi.

I don't think their memory was totally stripped, their old techniques like Styrak's skill of Sith Alchemy remained after he became the Dread Master. And even before their memory was consumed by the device, they were already bad guys, powerful Sith Lords.

You obviously misunderstand.

You say that he was their prophet and like I said the future is always in motion, which is why it's fairly obvious that Calyphus and the other DM didn't foresee the death of the Lord Styrak. With that, a hole in their connection to the Phobis device and / or the Dark side of the Force manifested itself and through that, they started going insane, as in, unable to truly go for whatever aim they had initially.

Comes Oricon and all except Calyphus end up dead and with that, the hole that manifested itself with the death of Styrak only brought down the dark personas they created for themselves, after assuming the mantle as the Dread Masters. In other words, had the other Dread Masters survived, it's possible they would've gone through the same withdrawal - so to speak - as Calyphus, which is a broken man, connection to the force most likely severed, babbling incoherently and with only glimpses of his past life surfacing, such as love for his late wife.

So no, their memory on a individual sense was NOT stripped but rather the way they operated, on a collective level, as the Dread Masters.

You obviously misunderstand.

You say that he was their prophet and like I said the future is always in motion, which is why it's fairly obvious that Calyphus and the other DM didn't foresee the death of the Lord Styrak. With that, a hole in their connection to the Phobis device and / or the Dark side of the Force manifested itself and through that, they started going insane, as in, unable to truly go for whatever aim they had initially.

Comes Oricon and all except Calyphus end up dead and with that, the hole that manifested itself with the death of Styrak only brought down the dark personas they created for themselves, after assuming the mantle as the Dread Masters. In other words, had the other Dread Masters survived, it's possible they would've gone through the same withdrawal - so to speak - as Calyphus, which is a broken man, connection to the force most likely severed, babbling incoherently and with only glimpses of his past life surfacing, such as love for his late wife.

So no, their memory on a individual sense was NOT stripped but rather the way they operated, on a collective level, as the Dread Masters.

Actually we aren't sure are they telling the truth, especially did Calyphus hide something, even from his brothers and sisters, he probably wasn't totally into the device like the others, so he planned something for himself, that's why he didn't get killed.

Actually we aren't sure are they telling the truth, especially did Calyphus hide something, even from his brothers and sisters, he probably wasn't totally into the device like the others, so he planned something for himself, that's why he didn't get killed.

Rule of thumb in this forum: Whenever something doesn't sit right with anyone's particular theory, immediately assume that the characters or the writers are lying, despite the fact no evidence whatsoever supports such notion.

It's apparently far easier than actually trying to work out whatever the game delivers, storywise. Thus far, we have the Emperor's Hand, Lord Scourge and now the Dread Masters as potential liars it would seem.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Rule of thumb in this forum: Whenever something doesn't sit right with anyone's particular theory, immediately assume that the characters or the writers are lying, despite the fact no evidence whatsoever supports such notion.

It's apparently far easier than actually trying to work out whatever the game delivers, storywise. Thus far, we have the Emperor's Hand, Lord Scourge and now the Dread Masters as potential liars it would seem.

Because it did happen quite a few times, especially lying is the nature of the Sith. The thread is saying that Calpyhus might be lying to the Republic.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Because it did happen quite a few times, especially lying is the nature of the Sith. The thread is saying that Calpyhus might be lying to the Republic.

Care to point out an instance where the Dread Masters clearly lied, concerning their goals? I can't think of one. Also, "omitting" and "lying" are not one and the same.

The Dread Master story is likely done. All that will remain is whatever legacy BW wants to drag out from them: "Oh there's X planet the Dread Masters had and without them, the crazy evil Y is going to do Z."

Calyphus is unlikely to be lying since you have the option to kill him so anything that contradicts the player's choice to do that (which would end that sub-plot anyway) is a big no no. The best you can hope for is the spirits of some of the Dread Masters returning because they are attached to the Phobis Devices (say Bestia or Raptus).