The Voss as playable character race

ApocNizmith

Let's not encourage Bioware to throw in more simple reskinned humans into the game, as they have done with pretty much all races so far.

Let them put some effort into it for once. They are lazy enough as it is with races.

I really liked the Voss though. I thought they were a very cool race. Their appearance was awesome, their culture was very interesting, and I loved the planet.

I am not saying that they shouldn't add other races, in fact I have been wondering why there haven't been Nautolans, Togruta, and Rodians playable in game. I am simply saying that of all of the races I have encountered so far, I would love to play a Voss most of all.

Let's not encourage Bioware to throw in more simple reskinned humans into the game, as they have done with pretty much all races so far.

Let them put some effort into it for once. They are lazy enough as it is with races.

Well, I agree however if they did add the Voss, I'd hope they would be able to filter their voice. Since Voss have a sort of modulation to their voice, they would still take more work than the standard human or else they'd not have proper voices. Not sure though if they can add that "Voss voice" effect to the normal character voices or not though.

As for other species, I'm all for new species, I would love to see togruta, but not until they fix the clipping issues with twi'leks, and even worse the lobotomy issue (it's been established in the lore that a twi'lek brain extends into the lekku, nevermind their heads are physically bigger. So, when you wear a mask that doesn't let the lekku and bigger head show... that's frickin' full lobotomy for a twi'lek if they were real. Plus, really we're playing a twi'lek yet due to the half-***ed removal of the lekku and bigger forehead we're now indistinguishable from a human.)

I really liked the Voss. :) But I personally think they'd be a poor choice for playable species, because:

1. Voss are tall. They appear to have a body type that is unavailable to PC's -- one that is tall like BT3, but slim like BT2. And Bioware has unfortunately made it crystal clear that they do not plan to add any additional body types to character creation. This would be problematic unless Bioware changes their mind (and people have been asking for additional body types since launch at least).

2. Romance/marriage would be troublesome.

As a female Smuggler, you can flirt with your Voss contact. In a nutshell:

Voss: Here is some beautiful romantic poetry I wrote.

Smuggler: How lovely!

Voss: I'm glad you like it. My wife thought it was nice too.

Smugger: Uh, you're married?

Voss: Why, of course I am! How else would I be having these romantic feelings for you? We Voss don't experience such feelings until after the courtship ritual, though I've heard you outsiders are different.

3. Limited customization potential. Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing the potential for a great, customizable race here and can think of several near human "easy to add" species that would be a lot better in this regard.

4. Unique Voss speech patterns.

Of course, I'm sure individual players could rationalize/come up with backstories to explain away a lot of these issues, and all PC Voss could simply be "special" (as I suppose PC's already are, in the eyes of the game's story), but IMHO if Voss were made playable it should not be an easy unlock to acquire.

I really liked the Voss. :) But I personally think they'd be a poor choice for playable species, because:

2. Romance/marriage would be troublesome.

As a female Smuggler, you can flirt with your Voss contact, but it goes nowhere.

but, see the following:

As a female Agent, you can marry your Voss contact's son...and consummate the marriarge.

• 10 months later...

Give. Voss. Now. Please. Thank you?

We need more species coming in, maybe once every six to ten months through the CM, imo. They'd be a GREAT source of income for BW/EA, they'd be a huge draw for new, old, and returning players, they'd make people want to try new race/class combos - especially if the new races have new dialogue choices and story elements! -, and it would help bring a bit of consistent change and variety to the game. Of course, actual content is more important, but there's obviously more than one dev team working on more than one thing at a time. More races, more money, larger budget = win!

The secret to good F2P is to prove you aren't greedy fat cat money bag goobers. Just look at Rift, Warframe, League of Legend, Marvel Heroes 2015, etc... Players aren't retarded, we see greed for what is and it rankles most people; this means vastly less money and more players far less loyal / more willing to leave the game for greener pastures. The trick comes by offering lots of really awesome stuff you can work for in game 99% of the time. Remove ALL negative consequences for being F2P rather than Subscriber, give Subscribers more bonuses / exclusives / discounts on X-pacs, etc... See, when we have the option to work for what we want, or to buy what we want, then we end up making FAR worse financial decisions. Most of the players in MH2015 or LoL blow their entire pay cheques on new releases, or in MH2015 on the massive number of incredibly tempting / worthwhile / crazily discounted sales that are constantly blowing through that game. Literally hundreds of dollars every couple of weeks from probably 30-50% of the player base, and then the $100 or so a month from the other non-casuals, maybe $20-50 from casuals, etc...

Never try to force people to give you money, because they will grip onto it with everything they've got. Make it our 100% our own choice and don't be stingy with your offers/sales/discounts? Players will hurl their life savings at anything and everything even slightly tempting. I have to say I was digusted and unbelievably surprised to see such a greed enthused F2P model last year, and it hasn't gotten any better :p I'd fire your marketing guys in a heart beat, because they haven't a clue how people work. Just look at DCUO, I bought the $30 per three month sub for all the bonus stuff they offer, but there's really very little need to subscribe if you just want to play the game. Rift, LoL, and MH2015 have the best F2P models by far, and I've subsequently poured huge amounts of money into each of them :3 So has just about every other player!

LoL made $624 million in 2013. I have no clue how much money it made every other year or this year, but considering how little went into making it and how little it costs to keep a tiny handful of animations per character and development time, they're making ridiculous amounts of profit every year. Considering how much went into making SWTOR, and how poorly most new players I meet receive this F2P system? You guys could use the pointers :p