Performance is worse, what can I do?

Kourage

Lately, I've had problems with mobs not appearing, or even being able to target them. Other players are getting this too. It's bad when it happens to the tank. Sometimes they vanish mid fight. With the patch and new planet, my system is having problems loading mobs on the map. I have to drive slow and stop or else I run through a pack I never saw. It's most likely my processor is just too slow. I need a whole new motherboard, new ram & new CPU, as well as a stronger PSU. I can't afford all that. Changing the settings to very low doesn't really seem to perform any better than very high with the shadows off. I typically fight with 5-10 fps. I don't even attempt 16 man Ops, and rarely 8 mans.

Is there anything I can do to make the game more playable? Some tweeks, processes to shut off maybe? Will they help?

The RAM is DDR2, 4 gigs. :( , but I think the CPU is the bottleneck.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 32-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130708-1504)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: P35-DS3P

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM

Page File: 1340MB used, 4545MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68B8)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8&SUBSYS_22881787&REV_00

Display Memory: 2553 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1018 MB

Shared Memory: 1535 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: SyncMaster 2233BW/2233GW,SyncMaster Magic CX2233BW/CX2233GW((Digital)

Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Monitor Id: SAM044C

Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atiumdva.cap

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1230 (English)

Driver Version: 13.152.0.0

DDI Version: 11

Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.2

Graphics Preemption: DMA

Compute Preemption: DMA

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 8/30/2013 20:13:52, 1027544 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BF8-11CF-F970-8202BEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68B8

SubSys ID: 0x22881787

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem24.inf:cb0ae4147898f556:ati2mtag_Evergreen:13.152.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_68b8

Rank Of Driver: 00E02001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

You're right, the CPU isn't great. It's probably as low as the game will ever run on. Your video card isn't helping (it's a 5770?). Also, you've got a 32-bit version of Windows 8, which quite frankly, doesn't make any sense. There is really no good reason for ordinary users to buy 32-bit OSes anymore. In this case, it is preventing you from using one of the easier performance upgrades: extra RAM.

The problem, in my opinion, is the greater complexity and mob density on Oricon. Your hardware just isn't quite up to the task, and the developers haven't had a chance to really iron out the performance of the map. The easiest way to improve your performance is to wait and let the devs try to optimize the area. Beyond that... you would need a new CPU... which would mean a new motherboard... and new RAM....

You're right, the CPU isn't great. It's probably as low as the game will ever run on. Your video card isn't helping (it's a 5770?). Also, you've got a 32-bit version of Windows 8, which quite frankly, doesn't make any sense. There is really no good reason for ordinary users to buy 32-bit OSes anymore. In this case, it is preventing you from using one of the easier performance upgrades: extra RAM.

The problem, in my opinion, is the greater complexity and mob density on Oricon. Your hardware just isn't quite up to the task, and the developers haven't had a chance to really iron out the performance of the map. The easiest way to improve your performance is to wait and let the devs try to optimize the area. Beyond that... you would need a new CPU... which would mean a new motherboard... and new RAM....

Since the hero engine is 32bit, and limited to 1.4 gigs of user space it will not matter. in fact the overhead of 64 bit will be worse for him.

the issue is the hard drive the hero engine to swap textures alot, i saw you have a 2 gig video card so your good there but the issue is the engine, then hard drive and the cpu

you need a better cpu yes...

you need a ssd 1st, cpu and ram second.

Since the hero engine is 32bit, and limited to 1.4 gigs of user space it will not matter. in fact the overhead of 64 bit will be worse for him.

the issue is the hard drive the hero engine to swap textures alot, i saw you have a 2 gig video card so your good there but the issue is the engine, then hard drive and the cpu

you need a better cpu yes...

you need a ssd 1st, cpu and ram second.

I'm using a Hitachi GST Deskstar E7K500, 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

I'm using a Hitachi GST Deskstar E7K500, 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

a decent SSD will be around 50x faster, and will have a 1000x better IOp/s ... this will help a little.

a new cpu and ram will help as well ...

ultimately though you will also need to turn up your graphic settings. there are distance settings for objects being loaded and occulded. these can be modified.

On a 64bit OS, he'd have his full 4GB of RAM (not the 3.5GB he has now) and the SWTOR processes would get to use 2GB each, rather than 1.4GB. But that wasn't the point: The fact that he's got a 32bit OS means he can't upgrade to 8GB of RAM to help his struggling CPU, which is not only slightly underpowered, but is lacking an on-chip memory manager and is being forced (potentially, at least) to do a lot of page swaps.

It's not the 32/64 performance difference (which is negligible at best) but the lack of options for memory upgrades that hurts him.

Actually, his card is a 1GB card. So, there's not much help there. He's doing a lot of texture loading and likely using the system pagefile and his deskstar was pretty good when it was released, but that was 2007 and its numbers are unimpressive now.

Yeah, an SSD would help, and that's probably the easiest way to get some extra performance. Beyond that, it starts getting tricky. I would suggest another 4GB of memory next, but that would require a Windows reinstall (I don't trust drivers to handle a 32->64 upgrade).

You have a whole set of little things that all add up to cripple you with this particular game.

Honestly.. rather then look for little fixes here and there.... your PC looks to be quite dated. If you can afford it.. go for a new one. Better value for dollars spent... but it's a lump sum rather then small incrementals.

Disk I/O is a challenge for this application IMO. There are several ways to attack it.. but IMO...Intel Smart Response tech available on some of the new Intel processors represents a nice smart approach to disk I/O demanding applications like this one. This technology allows you to use a small (64G) SSD as an I/O cache for your hard disk and gives you about 80% of what you get from a dedicated SSD.. at much lower cost overall for the performance gain. Slap a 64G SSD in with a large 7200 speed hard disk and 4x70 processor and you bypass most of the I/O issues in todays PCs without having to spend $ for large SSDs.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a Hard Drive, and change this to 64 bit somehow. I would maybe have to install the 64 bit XP, then run the Win 8 upgrade disc.

There's not much point in upgrading to 64-bit unless you're going to add RAM, and a hard drive won't make much difference unless its an SSD and you make sure that the game and game cache files are stored on it.

You're cpu is really your bottleneck but everything combined definitely doesnt help. The cheapest things to do would be to upgrade to 64 bit and then upgrade to probably 6-8 gb of memory. I also would recommend trying to go at least windows 7 and 64 bit. I believe support for xp has run out or is about to.

The only real reason to use 32 bit os's is if you are using some software that doesnt run on 64 bit and there is some out there where this would apply that i know of.

Try running the game in XP Service Pack 3 compatibility mode. Right click the Launcher icon, select properties, then compatibility. This is actually recommended y the support staff for machines that struggle. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot. I could list reasons why this helps, but it's only relevant that it does.

On a 64bit OS, he'd have his full 4GB of RAM (not the 3.5GB he has now) and the SWTOR processes would get to use 2GB each, rather than 1.4GB. But that wasn't the point: The fact that he's got a 32bit OS means he can't upgrade to 8GB of RAM to help his struggling CPU, which is not only slightly underpowered, but is lacking an on-chip memory manager and is being forced (potentially, at least) to do a lot of page swaps.

It's not the 32/64 performance difference (which is negligible at best) but the lack of options for memory upgrades that hurts him.

Actually, his card is a 1GB card. So, there's not much help there. He's doing a lot of texture loading and likely using the system pagefile and his deskstar was pretty good when it was released, but that was 2007 and its numbers are unimpressive now.

Yeah, an SSD would help, and that's probably the easiest way to get some extra performance. Beyond that, it starts getting tricky. I would suggest another 4GB of memory next, but that would require a Windows reinstall (I don't trust drivers to handle a 32->64 upgrade).

Disagree, from the Heroforums it can only address 1.4 gigs of ram in total. Hero authers did made a 64bit engine but BW did not opt to upgrade to it. even with 8-gigs of ram my swtor copy never exceeds 1.2 gigs of *user space* ram. even if you use the 3072 user space edit.

oh snap... did you turn on "turbo cache?" for the video card ? and 100% yes, 1gig of video ram is a additional problem. the texture cache will be further stressed and swapped to disk that size of frame buffer.

oh snap... did you turn on "turbo cache?" for the video card ? and 100% yes, 1gig of video ram is a additional problem. the texture cache will be further stressed and swapped to disk that size of frame buffer.

I don't see that anywhere in Catalyst Control Center. I don't have any difference in frames turning textures to low or high.

See my sig. Your computer barely meets the minumim specs for this game. The only decent thing on your system is the GPU.

I have Windows 8, will it work the same? I'm running in XP compatible mode tonight to see if it helps.

I've tried all the tweaks and changes and I still think the problem is the processor. It doesn't matter what my video settings are except for shadows. AoC was the same way. Things load incredibly slow. I'm not sure if a SSD drive is going to help. The CPU probably still won't keep up, but maybe it would. Hard to tell if the HD is bottle necked or the CPU. It's one or the other. December is my Birthday & Christmas and upgrades and replacements are requested.

CPU is too slow for this game...

If you cannot find very cheap Core Duo on/above 3 GHz - buy new PC.

Some more RAM (2 GB at least) could also help but without proper CPU - will not.

GPU - last of the least, you could lower graphic settings and them start to maxing them to find proper ones for performance.

Edited by morfius

CPU is too slow for this game...

If you cannot find very cheap Core Duo on/above 3 GHz - buy new PC.

Some more RAM (2 GB at least) could also help but without proper CPU - will not.

GPU - last of the least, you could lower graphic settings and them start to maxing them to find proper ones for performance.

While ago I was going to spend a little and upgrade to a 3GHZ+ Core Duo, but the guy at CompUSA told me to replace the whole board so I was waiting till I could afford to. But yea I don't think there's any tweak that will make this CPU perform any better for this game. Unless, there's a tweak to the game that would reduce the load on my CPU. It aint any of the graphic settings.

Lately, I've had problems with mobs not appearing, or even being able to target them. Other players are getting this too. It's bad when it happens to the tank. Sometimes they vanish mid fight. With the patch and new planet, my system is having problems loading mobs on the map. I have to drive slow and stop or else I run through a pack I never saw. It's most likely my processor is just too slow. I need a whole new motherboard, new ram & new CPU, as well as a stronger PSU. I can't afford all that. Changing the settings to very low doesn't really seem to perform any better than very high with the shadows off. I typically fight with 5-10 fps. I don't even attempt 16 man Ops, and rarely 8 mans.

Is there anything I can do to make the game more playable? Some tweeks, processes to shut off maybe? Will they help?

The RAM is DDR2, 4 gigs. :( , but I think the CPU is the bottleneck.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 32-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130708-1504)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: P35-DS3P

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM

Page File: 1340MB used, 4545MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68B8)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8&SUBSYS_22881787&REV_00

Display Memory: 2553 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: SyncMaster 2233BW/2233GW,SyncMaster Magic CX2233BW/CX2233GW((Digital)

Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Monitor Id: SAM044C

Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atiumdva.cap

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1230 (English)

Driver Version: 13.152.0.0

DDI Version: 11

Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.2

Graphics Preemption: DMA

Compute Preemption: DMA

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 8/30/2013 20:13:52, 1027544 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BF8-11CF-F970-8202BEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68B8

SubSys ID: 0x22881787

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem24.inf:cb0ae4147898f556:ati2mtag_Evergreen:13.152.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_68b8

Rank Of Driver: 00E02001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

I have none of those issues. And you are right, some people have said they experience some of these issues, as well as a few others. I am starting to think it is client related. I have an AMD quad core ( my whole comp was 300 off newegg. IDK if that is an option for you) and am sitting at about 3.6 GHz to your 2.2 and have 8GB to your 4GB. I honestly think it may be time to upgrade your computer. This game does take a lot and it may just be beating the hell out of your computer.

I tried all the suggested changes. They do nothing to free up or speed up the CPU, so there's no difference. I tried 8 man HM TFB and when we got to Operator, whatever I was assigned to kill never appeared for me. I had 2 FPS, and I couldn't attack it even if I assist targeted off another player. I didn't have these problems with the original Operations. Heck we didn't even have very low settings as an option then.

I'm going to try & overclock the CPU, which is locked, so I'll have to change memory speeds or something if I recall correctly. I'll get some upgrades or replace the entire system in December.

Edited by Kourage