The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP Tanking

Michalrajtar

I am playing Vang mainly in DPS(sometimes tanking PvE content), but wanted to play Tank in PvP. From what I played tank must use taunts on those who are trying to kill somebody important and guard healer (ofc if they switch targets I am switching guard too). additionaly I must use slows, pulls, stealth scans as often as I can. Is that right? Have you got any additional advices?

Been playin since Day One and just were interesed mainly in PvE and sometimes DPS on PvP :p Just wanted to make sure I am doing everything good :p

Edited by Michalrajtar

Yeah that sounds about right, but remember that you have to stay within 15m of whoever your guarding but also don't stand right on top of them or you will get screwed over by some smashmonkey.

Stealth scan is more when you know there is going to be stealthier near or to find one right after they stealthed.

A few pointers for guarding objectives alone:

• In Voidstar, Ancient Hypergate and Novara Coast, stand very close to the objective. Don't load shoulder cannon until it is needed; the first missile will be ready before the end of the cap. Missiles have a travel time, so don't wait too long to interrupt. Of course, prefer cap interrupt by missile over tenacity.
  • To survive until help arrives, watch for the attacker's buffs. Know the important ones for you, like that sentinel and marauder thingie that ignores armor and deals massive damage (stun), recklessness / force potency especially in an assassin / shadow (defensive abilities), battle focus in dps vanguards (stun), and use stuns (including grenades) and defensive cooldowns (including warzone adrenal) accordingly. Last resort, fire all missiles for self-healing and time one last sticky grenade before death. In Ancient Hypergate, dots still prevent capping, so one last stock strike helps too.
  • For such guarding jobs, endurance beats mitigation stats. 1 % endurance is a lot cheaper than 1 % mitigation from shield/defense/absorb rating, and all healing done by vanguards (warzone medpack, adrenaline rush and shoulder cannon) is percentage based on the hitpoints. (Not true for flat percentage based mitigation from the skill trees; that's still great.)
  • In PUGs, give an "objective x clear" message every 30 or 60 seconds (that's every 1 or 2 +500 defense points messages) to avoid them having to check on you in case they don't trust a PUG guard. Which they shouldn't. Give the clear message when a key event happens (for example something else got capped by your own team) and when a defense is likely to succeed during the fight to avoid getting unnecessary help.
  • In Novara Coast you see a lot of what's happening both on your team and the opposing team, and you have nothing to do anyway. So keep people up to date in the ops chat, about troop movement and positioning, even classes etc. ("arsenal merc guarding east alone", "they are sending 2 more from east to south", ...)
  • Stealth scan and explosive surge to detect stealthers.

Corrections and advice are very welcome.