The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shiny armor and dyes.

Shadovarn

Right.

So, after accumalating a set of the triumvirate gear (basically Sith Trooper armor from KOTOR 1), I noticed it was a very flat grey. Compared to the picture (on the pack thingie in the Cartel Market place) which looks fairly shiny. Same with Mandalore's armor. Which was disappointing. (That and they're were shiny in the originals to a degree)

But that made me think, why aren't they shiny? Can they be shiny? Why aren't more things shiny?

To which I propose: Chrome Dyes. Maybe starting out as a basic silver with various degrees of greyscale on it, any eventually branching out to gold, bronze, green/red/blue lacquers.

Some of the color combos are atrocious enough, why not add a bit more to it.

I suspect that the reflective quality of armours is applied to the model rather than the texture, which means that it would not be possible for a dye to change armour from matte to shiny. I agree that it would make for some fairly impressive outfits, but I don't think it's possible :(

I suspect that the reflective quality of armours is applied to the model rather than the texture, which means that it would not be possible for a dye to change armour from matte to shiny. I agree that it would make for some fairly impressive outfits, but I don't think it's possible :(

They already have this chrome-ish coloring on a few armors. The idea would be to have new, shiny colors. It's a hell of a lot easier than you think. Most of the Trooper armor is 'shiny' as you and the OP put it. And it stay shiny with the dyes. Do the exact opposite, and you have chrome-plated armor for everybody else.

First of id agree it is a good idea, but many armor set out there now can be colored to give them a more metallic feel.

Just some examples of the top of my head.

Eradicator's ( which i'm currently using)

Volatile Shock Trooper Armor Set

Opulent Triumvirate Armor Set

Restored Triumvirate

Minimalist Gladiator Chest-guard

if it has metallic parts already it can look really cool with the right Dye job.

First of id agree it is a good idea, but many armor set out there now can be colored to give them a more metallic feel. <snip>

if it has metallic parts already it can look really cool with the right Dye job.

I agree with this whole-heartedly, but there are not very many metallic armor sets. The point is to be able to have the metallic look on whatever you want. For example, what if I want my Jedi robes to look like some sort of chain mail? I could use a metallic silver or gray (or both, that would look ******, IMO) to get that metallic sheen on my armor, which is normally totally matte.

They already have this chrome-ish coloring on a few armors. The idea would be to have new, shiny colors. It's a hell of a lot easier than you think. Most of the Trooper armor is 'shiny' as you and the OP put it. And it stay shiny with the dyes. Do the exact opposite, and you have chrome-plated armor for everybody else.

That's my point: armour that already looks metallic still looks metallic after applying dyes, but it's not possible to change cloth armour to look metallic.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but there are not very many metallic armor sets. The point is to be able to have the metallic look on whatever you want. For example, what if I want my Jedi robes to look like some sort of chain mail? I could use a metallic silver or gray (or both, that would look ******, IMO) to get that metallic sheen on my armor, which is normally totally matte.

A+ Grate idea id love to see a chin-mail "Slave Girl Armor Set" or even a chromed out Rampage set.(its still a fave of mine) Also id kill for some worn leather looks.

Secondly just a little off topic; Can we get some Catsuits plz. My assassin is just crying out for a Catsuit

What they should do is with stuff like that add a powder coat type finish to those armors with those kinds of properties, IE the Triumverat armor set.

Try using a better graphics card and/or turning up your graphics settings. I'm using the Section Guardian armor set and it's reflective as all getout. Same with the Sith armor. Look great to me.

I have a completely maxed graphics card and maxed settings. It still does not appear shiny.

Red Chrome/Black Chrome, Blue Chrome/Silver Chrome.

Hell.

Yes.

/signed

You know when they are first released they will either be secondary colours or have a green or light purple normal dye colour attached to it.

Then months later when they interest of the multiple metalic/matte colours dies off, they will start adding metalic/metalic but again start off with odd colours mixes.

For me it is too much of a gamble to buy dye packs off the cartel market. Gambling in cash shops is something I avoid and if an item I want is in the gambling box I just pretend it does not exist.

Edited by illgot

Quit playing on low settings. The armor mentioned is in fact SHINY not grey. Atleast on high settings.

Lolz. Not playing on low settings. Playing on full graphics for everything, and with a two-month-old graphics card. I'm not seeing any 'shiny' quality except on a few NPC armors and a couple BH and Trooper items.

DYES Change color pallets. the "Shiny" in to which you guys are suggesting to make stuff look metal is a different modeling mechanic of a mesh. Mesh is not changeable like a color. Having metallic dyes is impossible in the games current coding.

Meshes =/= dyes.

Lolz. Not playing on low settings. Playing on full graphics for everything, and with a two-month-old graphics card. I'm not seeing any 'shiny' quality except on a few NPC armors and a couple BH and Trooper items.

I mean the Triumvirate gear set. Its shiny. Matter of fact, on my graphics, its so shiny I'm blinded through the screen