What is considered a good dps number?

Lord_Garrex

Right now my Sentinel has mostly 72s and still maybe another 8 or so 69s without a full set bonus. I ran several parses tonight against the dummy and was in the 2600s on all of them. I know these aren't elite numbers but I don't know how relatively good or bad they are either. There are some things that I'll probably want to change with my rotation at some point (it's not a mirror image of the one recommended in KBN's Sentinel Guide) but for now I'm curious as to whether that number with my current gear would be considered good, average, or bad.

Thanks

Edited by Lord_Garrex

Hey,

I dont run combat myself but I'm KBN's GM and I know that when he was in about your gear he was doing a 2900 on the dummy on a good parse (aka if RNG is kind). As a focus sent in that gear I got about a 2700. That's with full set bonus though. So a 2600 is low, but if you know where you need to improve, don't be discouraged. I've known a lot of dps who would kill to parse that. :-)

If you have specific combat questions I'd recommend replying to KBN's guide or sending him a PM. Hope that helps.

Edited by Airam

Thanks. I actually edited out the favorable language the other day that said "high 2600s" figuring it didn't really matter. :p

What's strange is that I went out the very next night and parsed a 2794 against Trapjaw in the exact game gear and using the same rotation that I always do. Comparing the two, I saw something that surprised me in that I was missing about 8% of the time against the dummy vs 0% against Trapjaw. My accuracy is over 100% so I'm not sure what happened. Out of curiosity, what kind of dps loss would that create and what would cause me to miss against the dummy in the first place?

I definitely want to continue to push my dps and wish that I had come across KBN's thread much sooner. It's a little awkward trying to unlearn what I've been doing for 55 levels (and then some) but I know my numbers would jump significantly if I changed things up to be a mirror image of the rotation he covers in his Sentinel Guide. Fortunately, they're at least fairly close.

Edited by Lord_Garrex

What's strange is that I went out the very next night and parsed a 2794 against Trapjaw in the exact game gear and using the same rotation that I always do. Comparing the two, I saw something that surprised me in that I was missing about 8% of the time against the dummy vs 0% against Trapjaw. My accuracy is over 100% so I'm not sure what happened. Out of curiosity, what kind of dps loss would that create and what would cause me to miss against the dummy in the first place?

Your offhand sabre misses attacks, that's the 8%

You out level Trapjaw by a lot. I believe I'm right in saying that level difference affects dodge chance which is why if you fight mobs several levels higher when levelling you miss loads until you flat out can't do any damage. The reverse should be true facing a lower level mob, decreasing your chance to miss until everything is guaranteed to hit.

In other words, the level 55 dummy is giving a realistic miss rate vs a operations boss and the hugely out levelled world boss is not.

Basically what he said, with the added caveat that you can use dispatch on a boss which adds a significant increase. Also getting damaged gives you centering faster. :-) So even on a nightmare boss, my dps goes up by a lot in focus spec.

Thanks for the replies.

Here's a question that ties into my gear and my dps. I'm absurdly unlucky when it comes to rolls on gear and finally picked up my full set bonus after almost 2 months of running ops...but with the remaining two being Arkanian. The only way I can get it is to give up two 72 armorings so my question is: is it worth it to lose two 72s in exchange for the 4% damage bonus for the first 15 seconds after Zen or should I just hold out and pray I eventually pick up two more unassembled underworld pieces? Seems like it might be 2 steps forward, 1 step back in a best case scenario but I wanted to see what kind of opinions I got from the forum.