Freeing up old unused names

Calculated

"Name-stealers"???

Why don't you call the guy who has 10 character slots filled with level one toons he's never going to play a "Name-Hoarder"??

Simple, if you don't want your name taken, PLAY THE CHARACTER!! There's no sense in having the name or even the character at all if you're not intending to play it.

Other people don't want to wait around for your indecisive self to "get around to it".

Since he created those characters and got the name first, that would make it "his' name. The same would apply if Johnny went to the store, saw a limited edition item, and bought several of them. Does it make him a "hoarder" if he bought several of l the limited items the store had, including one that you later decided you wanted?

That fact that Johnny has something you want, is NOT justification for taking it from him.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input.

It works in other games and there is no reason it shouldn't work here. There are logical reasons why it would be beneficial to the game as a whole as well. If you do not have anything to add to the discussion, please don't post. If you have some arguments, please, we would love to hear them.

You want a logical argument?

Here's a few.

"You are not a special snowflake."

"You don't deserve something someone else has just because you want it."

"It's not up to you to determine who should and should not have a character name."

I'd like them to do a name purge also, but the fact is, until they announce it, no amount of forum QQ will cause any changes. You do *not* deserve *ANY* name that is currently taken by another character. Get over it. You're not more or less special than the player who got it first. First come, first served.

ok just to interject, leave military personnel out if it. They can and do login from overseas deployments (have RL friends and guildies doing exactly that)

Right!!! The military buys copy of SWTOR so people can log in.. You have friends that do that.. Hmm.. I am guessing these friends aren't deployed..

Perhaps you should think before you post.. I have guildies that I haven't seen for almost a year that are marked as deployed in in guild list..

Do you people think at all when you go to write a post?? :rolleyes:

Actually a lot of names are still being taken up by people who played for a few weeks when the game started, and then never played again.

You know this how exactly?? Seriously.. Statements like this are total BS.. There is no way you can know.. That is the problem.. :rolleyes:

I really wish people would stop looking for ways or trying to justify taking a name from someone else..

Botton line is, the people asking for names to be taken from someone else would hate to lose a name for the same reasons..

Names are first come first serve on each server.. If someone else has the name you want.. Well.. Guess you better make up a new one..

I do not support any idea where is someone has a name stolen from their character for any reason.. Be it character level or inactivity..

I really wish people would just deal with it and make a new name.. Which is what they would tell anyone that wanted one of their names.. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

It stinks to lose your name. My main lost his name in the merger and it was the name i had in KOTOR 1 and 2 and in SWG, so i was happy to find that could have that name.

I even stumbled on the guy with my name, a sith warrior that has not been online since since the merger.

That being said, stealing his name would be unfair to him as well, even if you has not been here.

I would hate to leave for a year and then come back to find all my names were gone.

No, they don't. Read the EULA.

And, this exact sentiment can be applied to the person hoarding the name with no evidence of ever having played it. Make up a new name and move on if you decide to start playing the toon.

The names dude.. The names.. Read the EULA.. There is nothing there about the names.. Sheeeesh..

Let's be clear here.. Nobody truly owns a name.. Not even the one that is on your Birth certificate.. But in this game, when you name a character, your character is the only one allowed to use that name with that spelling.. So in a sense you own it.. There is nothing in the EULA or TOS that says otherwise.. This is the system that Bioware setup..

Now please.. Think before you post.. Really.. It doesn't take a rocket science to know any of this.. Honestly it doesn't.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

"Name-stealers"???

Why don't you call the guy who has 10 character slots filled with level one toons he's never going to play a "Name-Hoarder"??

You should be lucky everyone isn't an alt-ohalic.. I know some people that have more than one account and have 30+ characters... Are they hoarders??

You also need to get off this level 1 stuff.. That is completely irrelevant.. Nor do you have any clue if someone is going to play them.. You people really need to stop making claims that it is impossible for you to know and impossible to prove..

Just an FYI here.. I am looking at one of my wife's toons on my friends list.. She is currently offline.. It doesn't tell me when she last played, so I have no idea when she last played.. Could be 2 years ago or 2 minutes ago.. It doesn't tell me what level she is.. So I have no idea what level she is.. Could be 1 or 55.. Doesn't even tell me what class she is.. Other than her characters name, it doesn't tell me anything..

So all these claims about a level 1 that hasn't played in who cares how long.. Are simply bogus and complete BS.. You don't even know if they deleted the character and recreated a character using the same name with the other faction..

So please.. You all need to just spare us when it comes to your sob stories about the mean ole level 1 that has your name and never plays.. Also keep in mind, you are not the only one that plays the game.. ;)

Edited by MajikMyst

Majik, I have provided enough reasons why a player should lose their name, and why it would be fair.

Again, you keep missing the mark.. An unfair rule being the same for everyone doesn't make it fair.. Taking a name from someone under the terms that have been discussed in this thread is simply not fair.. There is no way around that.. You do not know the definition of fairness.. Stealing a name from someone else to give to you is not fair no matter how you dress it up.. Your reasons are simply flawed and irrelevant..

You are the one with a problem.. Most other folks could either care less or don't see a problem.. You saying there is a problem doesn't mean their actually is...

Ok so your European.. So what?? Is there a point there other than geography?? You don't think Europe has a military?? You don't think they play SWTOR??? Seriously??

Fine.. 2 years.. That is sort of fair.. Still... Who gives you the right to demand anything??

I think the way WOW does it has potential.. But let's face it, it needs to be handled with care and respect for all.. Any way you look at it, you are forcibly taking a name from someone's account to give to someone else.. Bioware, and Blizzard are going to have to deal with any angry customers that might create.. Or they could take the name back from you and give it to the person they took it from in the first place.. That sounds fair doesn't it?? ;)

But let's face it.. This is so far down on the totem pole.. I doubt this will happen anytime soon.. Assuming they even decide to do something about this.. There are much bigger issues than someone crying about a lost name.. Seriously dude.. You really need to get over yourself..

And no, you have not given any reason why something is fair.. Just because it applies to everyone doesn't make it fair.. That is such a lame comment.. Really it is.. How about a law that when someone turns 40, they can no longer drive.. Is that fair?? It would apply to everyone?? Think about it!! An unfair rule or policy is unfair whether it applies to all or just a single person.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

Ok, a) people who "have a life". If they don't log in for 60 days because they prefer to do other things, that's fine, but then they won't care about their name either. It takes 2 mins to log in - if they don't want to spare that in 2 months, they don't care.

b) I assume you mean the US army? If they care that much, they could just ask a friend to log in. Again, it takes 2 minutes every 2 months. Not hard if you care enough to do it yourself or ask someone else to do it for you. Much less effort than watering someone's plants or feeding their fish.

Wow.. Seriously.. They are overseas fighting in a war, thousands of miles away from their families, and you want them to ask a friend to log in to a video game?? Really?? I don't even want to think about where your priorities are..

They are risking their lives over seas.. We accommodate them, not the other way around.. You have no right to any name held by another account.. Get over it.. :rolleyes:

Again, you keep missing the mark.. An unfair rule being the same for everyone doesn't make it fair......

I'm getting tired of your comments. Who are you that gives you a supreme ability in deciding what is fair and what is not? What makes you the moral authority to dictate what is right and wrong, fair and unfair?

What does fair really mean? Okay, lets ask a dictionary:

adjective

in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate.

adverb

without cheating or trying to achieve unjust advantage.

the rest are not connected to this at all. So, if we define a set of rules, which would be the same for everyone, it would be fair. At least that is what fair means. If you have a personal definition, please provide it, as I cannot comment on something I do not know.

Yes, I see what you are saying. It is wrong to steal something in the moral system we live in. I agree with that and I wouldn't like getting my things stolen. But in real life, there can be thousands of people with the same name. You can rename yourself and have the same name as your neighbor without problems. In SWTOR your name is unique, sadly. But SWTOR is a virtual world. It has a limited lifetime in terms of years, not decades. One year is probably about 10% of the game lifetime! If a person doesn't login once during one year, frankly, I think it is enough time in terms of the lifetime of the game to consider his character for rename.

As was said multiple times, everything in the game is owned by BioWare. The characters are on their servers, and the names with them. If BioWare ever decides to enable a service like this, they will be free to do as they wish, and it would not be theft.

And would you please stop accusing me of, hmm, too many things to list actually. It is not only about me, there are lots of people who would use this service. Yes, I say we make it on demand only and let BioWare scrutinize whether or not to free that particular name. You say I demand something, no, I don't - the whole time I'm trying to suggest a new game system, service, for everyone to use. Yes, the motivation behind this post was selfish - I want a certain name, on a totally unused character on level 2, but the system would work for everyone and as evident from some posts in the thread more people want a similar thing. And if you stopped arguing with a single sentence that this is wrong and instead provided suggestions and critique on what you really find so unfair, we could stop arguing like kids and create a system that would hopefully suit the majority and feel as fair as we can get. That is why I wanted you to leave this discussion, you don't discuss anything, you only throw the same sentence on everyone that agrees with me.

I want to repeat this point - I'm looking for suggestions for this suggestion. Instead of calling everyone else names, why not try to work something out. You find the rules unfair - fine, post what you feel is wrong about them. You don't like this system at all? I see, well there is no need to call us "thieves". Try to find a better alternative or just say that you oppose this idea.

Just to summarize, so far, some nice suggestions were:

Add spaces to the naming system.

Unique IDs connected with a name in a non intrusive way (Name#ID, ID only needed in cases of ambiguity).

Only affect totally inactive accounts at least for a year, with a level limit.

Two points that most agree with:

On demand service, scrutinized by BioWare.

Warn inactive users so they can save their names.

I'm getting tired of your comments. Who are you that gives you a supreme ability in deciding what is fair and what is not? What makes you the moral authority to dictate what is right and wrong, fair and unfair?

What does fair really mean? Okay, lets ask a dictionary:

adjective

in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate.

adverb

without cheating or trying to achieve unjust advantage..

Wow.. You can't even quote the dictionary right.. I suppose you think you are the only one on the internet who can look up a word??? Anyone can decide what is fair or not.. You still have to explain how stealing from someone else is fair.. I am not dictating anything.. You are.. You are deciding who can keep their name and who can't and under what conditions.. I think you better go back and read your posts again..

fair

1 [fair] Show IPA adjective, fair·er, fair·est, adverb, fair·er, fair·est, noun, verb

adjective

1. free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.

2. legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules: a fair fight.

3. moderately large; ample: a fair income.

4. neither excellent nor poor; moderately or tolerably good: fair health.

5. marked by favoring conditions; likely; promising: in a fair way to succeed.

Stealing is stealing and most people know right from wrong..

You want a logical argument?

Here's a few.

"You are not a special snowflake."

"You don't deserve something someone else has just because you want it."

"It's not up to you to determine who should and should not have a character name."

I'd like them to do a name purge also, but the fact is, until they announce it, no amount of forum QQ will cause any changes. You do *not* deserve *ANY* name that is currently taken by another character. Get over it. You're not more or less special than the player who got it first. First come, first served.

A few other points to consider since you obviously have no response to mine..

Also it would be nice if you could stay on topic and stop moving the bar.. If you read your own thread.. I also agree with some of those options.. But you didn't read that did you.. ;)

Wow.. You can't even quote the dictionary right.. I suppose you think you are the only one on the internet who can look up a word??? ...But you didn't read that did you.. ;)

I have actually read every post in this thread. And if you have read my last post you would see I summarized some points people made. So yeah, we can agree on something - this should not be automated and should be on demand, highly scrutinized by BioWare.

The person who is derailing this thread is you, friend. You keep talking about what is right and wrong and what is fair and unfair. This is not a philosophical debate and I don't want to go even deeper into that. What is right and what is wrong is ultimately subjective. I don't see anything wrong with what I am proposing, you see it as (nearly) entirely wrong. Those are our points of view. Stop arguing with subjective arguments and try something exact and objective.

I have also had enough responses for your points, but you are too blind to see that, or you don't want to. Actually the same arguments apply to you - "You are not a special snowflake" and "It's not up to you to determine who should and should not have a character name.".

To reply to those arguments:

"You are not a special snowflake." - Actually, everyone of us is a "special snowflake". Everyone is unique. But I see what you mean. Yeah, I'm not special in any relevant kind of way. But it's not only about me. There are lots of players who want and would use a service like this.

"You don't deserve something someone else has just because you want it." - What each player deserves is for BioWare to decide. It is their world and their rules. Yes I want a certain name. Yes someone else has it. Does he use it? No. Does it make me deserve the name more? No. But I still believe that an active player, who would actually play a character with the name in question, bring more value to the game than a player who is inactive for years and most likely won't come back, and even if he does, I doubt he would even remember the name of some level 1 or 2 character he made years ago. Do I think it's right to take a name from someone else? No. But do I think it's theft? No, and neither do I see it as entirely wrong like you do. I feel like the reasons I have already provided are enough of a justification why this system would be beneficial to the game as a whole. I'm not saying my proposition is perfect, far from it actually. But we have to deal with limits of BioWare's world. And ultimately, it is their decision that matters.

"It's not up to you to determine who should and should not have a character name." - Again, this is BioWare's and only BioWare's decision. I am proposing a system to do this. If you have a better idea, please, go on and post it!

In the end, Suggestion Box is about things players think would improve the game. You keep bashing my proposition, with morals and what not. You keep attacking my person as well. Try to answer this: Why do you think this would not be beneficial to the game?

I do not want to presume anything, but still, part of me is saying it's only about you and your names, and the fear of losing them - it would be a rule that would be clearly targeted both for and against the players, and people ultimately don't like what could be detrimental for them. Leaving morals aside for a minute I sure hope you have better reasons.

I have actually read every post in this thread. And if you have read my last post you would see I summarized some points people made. So yeah, we can agree on something - this should not be automated and should be on demand, highly scrutinized by BioWare.

The person who is derailing this thread is you, friend. You keep talking about what is right and wrong and what is fair and unfair. This is not a philosophical debate and I don't want to go even deeper into that. What is right and what is wrong is ultimately subjective. I don't see anything wrong with what I am proposing, you see it as (nearly) entirely wrong. Those are our points of view. Stop arguing with subjective arguments and try something exact and objective.

I have also had enough responses for your points, but you are too blind to see that, or you don't want to. Actually the same arguments apply to you - "You are not a special snowflake" and "It's not up to you to determine who should and should not have a character name.".

"You are not a special snowflake." - Actually, everyone of us is a "special snowflake". Everyone is unique. But I see what you mean. Yeah, I'm not special in any relevant kind of way. But it's not only about me. There are lots of players who want and would use a service like this.

"You don't deserve something someone else has just because you want it." - What each player deserves is for BioWare to decide. It is their world and their rules. Yes I want a certain name. Yes someone else has it. Does he use it? No. Does it make me deserve the name more? No. But I still believe that an active player, who would actually play a character with the name in question, bring more value to the game than a player who is inactive for years and most likely won't come back, and even if he does, I doubt he would even remember the name of some level 1 or 2 character he made years ago. Do I think it's right to take a name from someone else? No. But do I think it's theft? No, and neither do I see it as entirely wrong like you do. I feel like the reasons I have already provided are enough of a justification why this system would be beneficial to the game as a whole. I'm not saying my proposition is perfect, far from it actually. But we have to deal with limits of BioWare's world. And ultimately, it is their decision that matters.

"It's not up to you to determine who should and should not have a character name." - Again, this is BioWare's and only BioWare's decision. I am proposing a system to do this. If you have a better idea, please, go on and post it!

In the end, Suggestion Box is about things players think would improve the game. You keep bashing my proposition, with morals and what not. You keep attacking my person as well. Try to answer this: Why do you think this would not be beneficial to the game?

I do not want to presume anything, but still, part of me is saying it's only about you and your names, and the fear of losing them - it would be a rule that would be clearly targeted both for and against the players, and people ultimately don't like what could be detrimental for them. Leaving morals aside for a minute I sure hope you have better reasons.

Want to know how I know you're not reading the thread? You quoted someone else's message yet you responded to my points. I'm not the same guy as the person you responded to.

Here's why reassigning names - whether randomly or not - is bad. If someone claimed a name, they have rights to it, unless they're told going in that they don't. Until BW changes the name paradigm, no amount of wanting it to change matters a great deal. This is now page 7 of this thread that is probably the 300th thread of this same topic that's posted.

You propose communication and giving players a month's notice or more. Even then, you'll have players that are deployed or otherwise unavailable who will lose their name through no fault of their own. That will drive them away from the game. Your desire to allow people to lose names will cause players to leave the game or will otherwise fracture the playerbase because they aren't able to login during your arbitrary time frame. Do you understand this?

Here's the only "fair" solution.

Change the Terms of Service to include a line that states that any player not logged in within 30, 60, 90, whatever days may have their name changed to a default random name. Publicicze this change extensively. And then prepare for the still impending firestorm as players whine that someone "stole their name" while they were playing another game/deployed/on vacation/in hospital/otherwise unable to login. This way, if someone doesn't want their name stolen, they'll know going in that they have to login every X days.

Or, of course, you could get over your anti-multilingual "immersion" and realize that extended characters and/or an apostrophe once in a while won't kill your gameplay. Just a suggestion. Half of my characters have to use an extra letter, an extended character, or an apostrophe, and I've been here since Month Two.

I got over it.

Edited by SturmUndSterne
Clarity.

Want to know how I know you're not reading the thread? You quoted someone else's message yet you responded to my points. I'm not the same guy as the person you responded to.

Oh god, yeah, I did not go with the trouble of quoting another post - sorry. I am actually reading all the posts, but whatever, think what you will.

Of course this would require BioWare to let people know a change like this was coming and it would need a change of TOS.

Yes, you are also right this is not the first (not even the tenth) topic on the matter, but I do not really see anything bad about that. If BioWare reads these forums, they will get reminded of this suggestion, and perhaps they will make (or change) their decision on the matter.

Why did I made this thread? I felt like this suggestion would be a) well received (as it was on reddit for example, but for a few trolls), b) it would make the game a little better. I think I am not the only one who takes 15 minutes creating a name as most options are already taken, with the knowledge that the perfect name is hold by a not played character. I did not even consider something like this before reading it is routine service in WoW. Sadly, what I have observed so far in this thread is that some of the most vocal people are also those who do not wish to discuss anything and are spamming this thread with the same statement again and again. Disagreeing is one thing, but it doesn't have to be repeated ad infinitum. But of course, what could one hope of multi player game forums.

Fortunately, you are at least trying to post logical argument not based entirely on feelings (the subjective), for that I am grateful. Honestly, I have not anticipated such a backlash against a service that would be only beneficial to active players and at least in my eyes the game as a whole.

Edited by Calculated

Ok. BW has decided. They have, so far, decided NOT to allow names to be stolen from those that have them. This is, apparently, not good enough for you, since you are here begging them to do just that.

If you were truly willing to let BW make the decision, you would honor and accept the one that they have made, and not beg them to change it to suit you.

I guess that you are only willing to accept BW decisions then they favor you and what you want.

Ok. BW has decided. They have, so far, decided NOT to allow names to be stolen from those that have them. This is, apparently, not good enough for you, since you are here begging them to do just that.

If you were truly willing to let BW make the decision, you would honor and accept the one that they have made, and not beg them to change it to suit you.

I guess that you are only willing to accept BW decisions then they favor you and what you want.

Seriously? What are you doing on a board called Suggestion Box when you do not understand the concept of a suggestion? I'm not begging anyone, I'm suggesting for this system to get implemented. The thing I meant is we do not know whether they decided or not, and we won't, we only know that a system like this is not yet implemented. I am suggesting BioWare implements one.

Oh god, yeah, I did not go with the trouble of quoting another post - sorry. I am actually reading all the posts, but whatever, think what you will.

Of course this would require BioWare to let people know a change like this was coming and it would need a change of TOS.

Yes, you are also right this is not the first (not even the tenth) topic on the matter, but I do not really see anything bad about that. If BioWare reads these forums, they will get reminded of this suggestion, and perhaps they will make (or change) their decision on the matter.

Why did I made this thread? I felt like this suggestion would be a) well received (as it was on reddit for example, but for a few trolls), b) it would make the game a little better. I think I am not the only one who takes 15 minutes creating a name as most options are already taken, with the knowledge that the perfect name is hold by a not played character. I did not even consider something like this before reading it is routine service in WoW. Sadly, what I have observed so far in this thread is that some of the most vocal people are also those who do not wish to discuss anything and are spamming this thread with the same statement again and again. Disagreeing is one thing, but it doesn't have to be repeated ad infinitum. But of course, what could one hope of multi player game forums.

Fortunately, you are at least trying to post logical argument not based entirely on feelings (the subjective), for that I am grateful. Honestly, I have not anticipated such a backlash against a service that would be only beneficial to active players and at least in my eyes the game as a whole.

You keep mentioning it as a routine service in WOW.

First, it is NOT a routine service. It may happen occasionally, but it is by no means routine. The rare times it happens, it requires GM intervention and there are strict requirements that must be met. It is not simply a case of "he has a name I want, give it to me".

Second, WOW is vastly different, in that it is a subscription ONLY game. There is a vast difference between a subscription game and one with a F2P element.

Seriously? What are you doing on a board called Suggestion Box when you do not understand the concept of a suggestion? I'm not begging anyone, I'm suggesting for this system to get implemented. The thing I meant is we do not know whether they decided or not, and we won't, we only know that a system like this is not yet implemented. I am suggesting BioWare implements one.

If they had decided to allow it, it would be happening, would it not? You admit that there have been multiple threads begging for BW to steal names from players so that those who felt they were entitled could have them. This is NOT the first time BW has been asked to do this.

The fact is that there have been multiple threads begging for this and they do not do it. This should tell any reasonable person that they have decided NOT to do it, even if they have made no statement to that effect. Of course, this is not enough for some of the entitled masses, and so we continue to find new threads full of people begging BW to steal names from players so that the entitled masses can have those names.

You keep mentioning it as a routine service in WOW.

First, it is NOT a routine service. It may happen occasionally, but it is by no means routine. The rare times it happens, it requires GM intervention and there are strict requirements that must be met. It is not simply a case of "he has a name I want, give it to me".

Second, WOW is vastly different, in that it is a subscription ONLY game. There is a vast difference between a subscription game and one with a F2P element.

It actually is quite routine, I have read an AMA with a GM who said it's one of the most common services and that some people even ask for checks on 10+ names at once. And it did not sound like the character in question was under a lot of scrutiny as well, probably just an activity check on the account. Sadly, I cannot find a link *sigh*.

True, WoW is subscription only and there is a vast difference between sub and F2P based games. But if once-subscribers in WoW can lose names, why shouldn't F2P players? It is actually quite a benefit for this game to be F2P, as if a player wants to save his name but is out of money for sub he simply logs in and "the timer" resets. WoW players (like myself) don't have this luxury.

It actually is quite routine, I have read an AMA with a GM who said it's one of the most common services and that some people even ask for checks on 10+ names at once. And it did not sound like the character in question was under a lot of scrutiny as well, probably just an activity check on the account. Sadly, I cannot find a link *sigh*.

True, WoW is subscription only and there is a vast difference between sub and F2P based games. But if once-subscribers in WoW can lose names, why shouldn't F2P players? It is actually quite a benefit for this game to be F2P, as if a player wants to save his name but is out of money for sub he simply logs in and "the timer" resets. WoW players (like myself) don't have this luxury.

Why should ANYONE have to worry about losing their name to someone who wants to steal it?

That '57 chevy is just sitting in your garage not being used. Timmy would drive it, so why should he not have it if you are not using it?

It's honestly pathetic they haven't already cleared old names. Nobody "owns" their name, and if they're not using it, it should be freed up. It would certainly help with the ridiculous names containing special characters, apostrophes, and dashes.

@OP I would ignore the two buffoons in the room, they're just fedora wearers trying to protect their accounts and accounts of their p-pprecious RP names.

Edited by DarkDisturbed

Why should ANYONE have to worry about losing their name to someone who wants to steal it?

That '57 chevy is just sitting in your garage not being used. Timmy would drive it, so why should he not have it if you are not using it?

I won't even ask you to stop with that stealing thing, as you apparently have no grasp of reality.

Honestly, if you worry your name will get stolen you are an active player. No inactive player worries about their name in a game they don't play. If you do I'm sorry for you.

I won't even ask you to stop with that stealing thing, as you apparently have no grasp of reality.

Honestly, if you worry your name will get stolen you are an active player. No inactive player worries about their name in a game they don't play. If you do I'm sorry for you.

Says the person who wants to take what someone else has.